Tennis 2019 - Page 19 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2019

Hertsscot

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Makes sense to me. He had been handed a stinker of a draw too so why punish the body with bigger tournaments lying ahead.

Yeah, it’s all about striking a balance but needs ranking points as well.  

Imagine it will be Indian Wells next for him. Not sure whether he would go for Miami as well after that. 

• 2 weeks later...

A fairly routine first set from Andy.
For once, a wee bit of fortune with Carreno Busta calling off and lucky loser Albot drafted in at the last minute.

A quick match for a change?… Draper waiting in the 3rd round.

Edited by min

48 minutes ago, min said:

A fairly routine first set from Andy.
For once, a wee bit of fortune with Carreno Busta calling off and lucky loser Albot drafted in at the last minute.

A quick match for a change?… Draper waiting in the 3rd round.

Yeah, agree that was a bit of fortune with the opponent. Didn’t have much to offer and unusual to see a men’s player with such lack of power in their game. 

Will be good to see how he does against Draper. At least he’s not had a marathon match today. 

If he comes through the next one, it could be a meeting with Alcaraz in the last 16. 🤞

Straight sets for the first time in months! 

Think the masters format, 3 sets and a recovery day between matches, could better suit Andy’s current physical condition.

Hope it’s an early slot against Draper on Monday given the time difference!

5 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

If he manages to win against Draper, he would rise 7 places to world no. 35. 

With Miami to come next where he’s defending only 1st round points from last year. An opportunity to keep progressing. 

I think that should read he would rise to No 45. He is currently 52 on live rankings.

Murray loses in straight sets to Draper, 7-6, 6-2.  

Said he was a bit fatigued which I think is always going to be a struggle now. There’s a lot of his matches going a long time, lots of tie breaks suggesting he doesn’t have the arsenal to win matches anywhere near his previous levels.  Only to be expected given where he’s come from injury wise and now the age he is.  

I think it's amazing what Murray is doing. You see it in sports when you're just not what you once were and then "the intangibles" come into play and things like heart get put on display. Folk see it and respond. I've lost count of the amount posts i'm seeing from folk all round the world really warming up to Murray. Saying how impressive what he is doing is. Younger folk making memes, it probably shouldn't work this way but i think this stint will be the one a lot of folk will remember. 

I remember it happening to Chris Eubank when he was older and losing fights but refusing to quit and that's when he got so much respect.

Murray is tactically very good breaking down players' serve and game but that gets watered down when you have not played a player before as was the case with Draper. Practising with him is far different from competitively playing a match against. I can well believe the fatigue side as his First Round match lasted over three hours which is a marathon for a best of three sets match. He really needs to be aggressive and get to the net more often than he does as there are moments when he has the upper hand in a rally and has his opponent lofting back a return which he could be at the net to volley the winner but chooses to stay on the baseline lengthening the rally which he invariably ends up losing as a result.

Murray papped oot of the Miami open at the first hurdle. Straight sets to the Serb Lajovic.  

Andy never really got into it at all and looked a bit leggy. Commentators mentioning that he is passing up too many break points in matches this season. Lacking killer blow when he needs it. 

Also, the Miami open setup looks mad. A mini stadium within the NFL stadium using one of the main stadium stands and 3 temp stands for the tennis. Apparently the F1 GP goes round the perimeter of the site as well. 

8 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Murray papped oot of the Miami open at the first hurdle. Straight sets to the Serb Lajovic.  

Andy never really got into it at all and looked a bit leggy. Commentators mentioning that he is passing up too many break points in matches this season. Lacking killer blow when he needs it. 

Bitterly disappointing result and performance for Murray. His opponent is a renowned journeyman who struggles on hard courts yet Murray gets wiped out in straight sets. Yes far too many break points missed and physically looked at odds with himself. Definitely his worst performance and result of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say I am very surprised to see Andy Murray has entered the Monte Carlo Masters that start on Sunday. The clay court tournament can be very rigorous on the body and Andy had hinted he'd be giving the clay court season a miss earlier in the year. Obviously, the best of luck to him.

• 3 weeks later...

Made it along to the ATP500 Barcelona Open on Friday for QF day.

Nice wee tournament and good to see Alcaraz for the first time. He didn’t really need to hit top form but his match and the others were decent enough. Alcaraz seems all set to take over the baton from the big 3 who have dominated the last 20 years. 

6BD4B6B6-73CE-43A3-BA45-11541887A991.jpeg

A2637863-72E1-47E3-846B-CD22A70D13F3.jpeg

12 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Made it along to the ATP500 Barcelona Open on Friday for QF day.

Nice wee tournament and good to see Alcaraz for the first time. He didn’t really need to hit top form but his match and the others were decent enough. Alcaraz seems all set to take over the baton from the big 3 who have dominated the last 20 years. 

6BD4B6B6-73CE-43A3-BA45-11541887A991.jpeg

A2637863-72E1-47E3-846B-CD22A70D13F3.jpeg

Superb Alfie

We only have Wimbledon booked this year. 

I really want to go overseas again for a tournament. Always fancied the Monte Carlo Masters

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Superb Alfie

We only have Wimbledon booked this year. 

I really want to go overseas again for a tournament. Always fancied the Monte Carlo Masters

We’re undecided as yet for Wimbledon but will probably get tempted near the time. I’ve been keeping an eye on the returns that have been popping up as we didn’t get anything in the ballot.  

Would definitely fancy Monte Carlo as well. Having done RG and now Barcelona, I can see us now trying to do the other clay tournies as it’s a good time of year and all great places - Madrid and Rome as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 10:30 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Alcaraz will be a chief contender for the slams no doubt. At present I don't see him having the sort of career stats of the likes of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic though.

Missed this comment last week Craig.  

I wouldn’t be so sure - I reckon Alcaraz is a cut above and looks like he has the ability and mentality. Agree that we’ll not really know until he starts racking up multiple slams which is easier said than done.  

Murray wins today. Into the SF of the Challenger level tourney in Aix-en-Provence.

Will do him good to have won a couple of games this week even though I wouldn’t expect him to do much at Roland Garros.

All about building for grass season I guess but it’s looking unlikely that he can make it back into the seedings for Wimbledon which he has been aiming for. 

10 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Murray wins today. Into the SF of the Challenger level tourney in Aix-en-Provence.

Will do him good to have won a couple of games this week even though I wouldn’t expect him to do much at Roland Garros.

All about building for grass season I guess but it’s looking unlikely that he can make it back into the seedings for Wimbledon which he has been aiming for. 

Good to see him getting a few wins and confidence building for the grass season but this is a lower tier tournament and I'd fully expect him to go on a run like this. Should Andy meey Tommy Paul in the final it will be the first opponent ranked above him in the rankings.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Andy Murray beats Tommy Paul 2-6 6-1 6-2 to win his first Challenger title for 18 years. Decent win.in beating Paul who is ranked inside the top 20. The win sends Murray up to No 42 in the rankings but time is running out for him to be seeded for Wimbledon.

I’m not sure how many points he has to defend before Wimbledon. If he manages through a couple of rounds at RG and does well at Queens… you never know.  Wonder if he’ll maybe play a couple of the grass warm up events.  I guess it’s a bit of balance of chasing the points vs wanting to arrive at Wimbledon feeling fresh.