Tennis 2019 - Page 11 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2019

Hertsscot

On 6/12/2022 at 4:55 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Andy Murray just came up short in the Mercedes Cup Final losing to Matteo Berrettini 4-6 7-5 3-6. A couple of medical timeouts for him too in the final set. Hopefully, nothing too serious.

Pulled out of Queens this week and touch and go for Wimbledon now.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes a getting better type of performance. Next up for him is a match against John Isner in the Second Round tomorrow.

I think he will beat inner. I reckon he will have a better than expected tournament, quarters at best

I was in a discussion about my favourite Wimbledon final, Murray 2013 was the obvious choice but Goran ivanisevic winning in 2001 is a close 2nd. He was a wild card and had lost in three Wimbledon finals. Five set final which went to a tie breaker. 

Cracking match last night between Serena Williams and Harmony Tan.  I thought Williams had got it when she was 4-0 up in the tie break but the French woman did really well to win.  May be the ending of an era though as it might have been the last Wimbledon has seen of Serena.

22 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I think he will beat inner. I reckon he will have a better than expected tournament, quarters at best

Not looking likely at the moment, two sets down and struggling 😕

Raducanu out as well, will she be another one season wonder in the women's game?

30 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Not looking likely at the moment, two sets down and struggling 😕

Raducanu out as well, will she be another one season wonder in the women's game?

What do I know about tennis 🤣🤣

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Isner played unbelievably well by his standards but peak Murray would've had enough to beat him I think.

Will we see him on Centre Court again? 😕

That was probably one of Isners best matches. Anyone who serves with such accuracy and such speed in one match will likely win. 

Murray will win a couple of smaller tournaments but for me his slam career is done.

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

That was probably one of Isners best matches. Anyone who serves with such accuracy and such speed in one match will likely win. 

Murray will win a couple of smaller tournaments but for me his slam career is done.

Yes I agree. Isner is no mug on grass and to beat him you need to serve well (which Andy didn't do) and return well (which Andy didn't do well enough) plus Isner really hit a number of lovely volleys and passes as well. Murray lost it midway through the fourth set. He had a bit of momentum and was 30- love up on his own serve then telegraphed a drop shot when at the net which Isner read and hit a winner down the line and Murray ended up losing the game.

On 7/1/2022 at 7:23 PM, Toepoke said:

Cameron Norrie doing a decent job of stepping up to the plate 🙂

He certainly seems to be able to frustrate like Andy anyway 😖

Djokovic through to semis despite going two sets down.

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

He certainly seems to be able to frustrate like Andy anyway 😖

Djokovic through to semis despite going two sets down.

It would be good to see Norrie win it. 

What is it? almost 80 years since and English man won the whole tournament at the all England club 🤣

Edited by vanderark14

43 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

What is it? almost 80 years since and English man won the whole tournament at the all England club 🤣

Is he not British until he gets knocked out?

Then he becomes a South African born, Scottish/Welsh New Zealander, or something like that? 🤔

Just now, Orraloon said:

Is he not British until he gets knocked out?

Then he becomes a South African born, Scottish/Welsh New Zealander, or something like that? 🤔

Correct 🤣🤣🤣

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

To be fair there is more Scottish blood in him than English. He was born in South Africa with a Scottish dad and Welsh mum.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To be fair there is more Scottish blood in him than English. He was born in South Africa with a Scottish dad and Welsh mum.

👍

Kyrgios broken in already in first set