Tennis 2019 - Page 6 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2019

Hertsscot

Ice baths help. They educe inflammation and accelerate recovery, mostly by changing the way blood flows through the body. When you're in a in cold water, your blood vessels constrict; when you get out, they dilate and open. This process helps flush out the body's system

It's not an ice bath anymore, though. It's a cryogenic chamber. It's a lot less of an ordeal.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's going to be a lot tougher tonight/tomorrow morning against Felix Auger-Aliassime. He's a rising star in the game, a great striker of the ball and with wonderful movement.

But he is quite inexperienced.

Andy got the cryo session that he wanted, so hopefully that accelerates his recovery.

A lot will depend on three factors.

How well can Andy Murray recover from such a long match on Monday so soon into his comeback?

Can he get off to a better start than he did on Monday when he seemed flat/subdued/nervous?

How will his young and relatively inexperienced opponent recover from his own almost four hours long match on Monday and cope with playing an icon of the sport?

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Ice baths help. They educe inflammation and accelerate recovery, mostly by changing the way blood flows through the body. When you're in a in cold water, your blood vessels constrict; when you get out, they dilate and open. This process helps flush out the body's system

It's not an ice bath anymore, though. It's a cryogenic chamber. It's a lot less of an ordeal.

That's doesn't have a basis in science though. https://play.acast.com/s/realscienceofsport/whyeverythingyouknowaboutrecoverymaybebs

There's a podcast with Prof Ross Tucker  excercise physiologist and Christie Aschwanden Lead science writer discussing the science of recovery and how the methods stack up against actual experimentation.

inflammation is a necessary part of adaptation. I'm aware of the reasoning behind use of cold to improve function but it's mumbo jumbo. what precisely is "flush out the body's system" it's amorphous nonsense.

https://www.sciencefriday.com/articles/do-ice-baths-work/

https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1113/JP270570

30 minutes ago, phart said:

That's doesn't have a basis in science though. https://play.acast.com/s/realscienceofsport/whyeverythingyouknowaboutrecoverymaybebs

There's a podcast with Prof Ross Tucker  excercise physiologist and Christie Aschwanden Lead science writer discussing the science of recovery and how the methods stack up against actual experimentation.

inflammation is a necessary part of adaptation. I'm aware of the reasoning behind use of cold to improve function but it's mumbo jumbo. what precisely is "flush out the body's system" it's amorphous nonsense.

Well Andy Murray and other tennis players swear by it and it has helped him in recovery between long matches. That is all that matters.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well Andy Murray and other tennis players swear by it and it has helped him in recovery between long matches. That is all that matters.

He has no counterfactual self to test that against. Folk swear by essential oils as well. Or astrology. It's not a convincing argument at all.

However i've spent 15 years arguing against the naivity of sportsfans and what recovery methods are actually used at the top level of sport.

1 minute ago, phart said:

He has no counterfactual self to test that against. Folk swear by essential oils as well. Or astrology. It's not a convincing argument at all.

However i've spent 15 years arguing against the naivity of sportsfans and what recovery methods are actually used at the top level of sport.

Well he obviously knows the effects it has on him. And it is not something he has always done but has felt better for doing it. End of the day that is all that matters. Either that or stop taking them and feel the worse for it.

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A lot will depend on three factors.

How well can Andy Murray recover from such a long match on Monday so soon into his comeback?

Can he get off to a better start than he did on Monday when he seemed flat/subdued/nervous?

How will his young and relatively inexperienced opponent recover from his own almost four hours long match on Monday and cope with playing an icon of the sport?

Good questions.

We shall soon see.

What I do know is that the kid is a player.

8 hours ago, phart said:

There's a reason why sportsmen/sportswomen do it.

Tennis, especially, is a massive sport and the players employ the best of the best in the world of physiotherapy. I'm not going to second guess them.

I just found out that the cryo chamber is only available at the French, which is surprising.

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

There's a reason why sportsmen/sportswomen do it.

Tennis, especially, is a massive sport and the players employ the best of the best in the world of physiotherapy. I'm not going to second guess them.

I just found out that the cryo chamber is only available at the French, which is surprising.

Yeah cause it alleviates pain, not because it provides any "recovery" benefits. It might feel like it does cause you don't ache as much but it actually stunts muscle repairs.

Ross Tucker is a top scientist, he works with the South African Rugby team has been an expert witness in IAAF trials involving Caster Seyema etc. He was also calling out Lance Armstrong 15 years ago while physiotherapy was attributing it to "lactate clearance", "oxygen tents", "marginal gains" "high cadence" and other mumbo jumbo.

So Andy Murray went done in straight sets 6-2 6-3 6-4.

No great surprise given Andy's condition fitness-wise going into the match. He has got back match fitness but not tournament fitness and is still carrying a lot of rust. Improvement will come with the more tournaments he plays. Next up for him will be some clay court tennis culminating in the re-arranged French Open.

2 hours ago, phart said:

Yeah cause it alleviates pain, not because it provides any "recovery" benefits. It might feel like it does cause you don't ache as much but it actually stunts muscle repairs.

Ross Tucker is a top scientist, he works with the South African Rugby team has been an expert witness in IAAF trials involving Caster Seyema etc. He was also calling out Lance Armstrong 15 years ago while physiotherapy was attributing it to "lactate clearance", "oxygen tents", "marginal gains" "high cadence" and other mumbo jumbo.

Well, they used to think that the Sun revolved around around the Earth. People are weird like that.

I don't really have a horse in this, as I don't care enough. 

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So Andy Murray went done in straight sets 6-2 6-3 6-4.

No great surprise given Andy's condition fitness-wise going into the match. He has got back match fitness but not tournament fitness and is still carrying a lot of rust. Improvement will come with the more tournaments he plays. Next up for him will be some clay court tennis culminating in the re-arranged French Open.

He's a winner just by playing again after the hip surgery. 

It was a valiant effort.

Incredible scenes at the US Open. Red hot favourite for the men's title Novak Djokovic has been disqualified. 

In his match against Carreno Busta he led 5-4 and looked set to break serve leading 40-0. Carreno Busta dug himself out of the hole to hold serve to Djokovic's frustration. On the first point of next game Djokovic fell on his left shoulder and got treatment but was fine. He then lost his serve and in frustration turned and hit a ball in frustration which hit a lineswoman. The tournament referee was called onto court and spoke at length with Djokovic and as rules state he defaulted the match and left the court and tournament.

That now means the US Open will be won by a new winner of a slam.

It wD

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Incredible scenes at the US Open. Red hot favourite for the men's title Novak Djokovic has been disqualified. 

In his match against Carreno Busta he led 5-4 and looked set to break serve leading 40-0. Carreno Busta dug himself out of the hole to hold serve to Djokovic's frustration. On the first point of next game Djokovic fell on his left shoulder and got treatment but was fine. He then lost his serve and in frustration turned and hit a ball in frustration which hit a lineswoman. The tournament referee was called onto court and spoke at length with Djokovic and as rules state he defaulted the match and left the court and tournament.

That now means the US Open will be won by a new winner of a slam.

It was incredible.

I didn't like his conduct when he was discussing it with the powers-that-be. Apparently, when he was pleading with them, he was making all about him. Not a mention about the poor woman, apart from a sarcastic "The woman isn't going to hospital".

There's a reason why tennis fans prefer Nadal and Federer. I'm not Federer's biggest fan (I think he's too cold), but I doubt Nadal of Federer would ever make it all about them or spend 12 minutes trying make them bend the rules.

I'm a fan of Novak, but he should've immediately held his hands up, shook hands (or touch rackets with Carreno Busta), packed his bags and left the court and then do his post-match interview.

Instead, he spent 12 minutes trying to make himself exempt from the rules and left the building without the interview.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Murray got humped 3-0 at roland garros today and it was a humping☹

Got to take a few things into perspective though.

It was Murray's first game on clay for over three years. Wawrinka had two preparation tournaments on clay going into this unlike Murray.

This is only his sixth match back on the tour circuit after a very long time out and having a new hip fitted. 

Murray's game has always bee built around his first serve (it was way off today) and hitting with power which will only come back with time and more match play.

His game strength too was always court speed and fitness but he's been unable to get that block of training in due to the pandemic so his game loses something then.

And lets not forget that Stan Wawrinka is the better clay court player. They have now played on the surface six times and Wawrinka leads 5-1.

When you have been out of the sport for so long, a sport that is a physical one at that you are never going to return and slip right into tournament winning form. It takes time to shake off rust, get your touch and feel back and improve your match fitness.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Nadal bags his 13th french open. He is now on 20 slams equal with federer.

I don't think Rafa had to break sweat to be honest. That is as flat and uninterested (almost) I have ever seen Djokovic play in a slam final - he really was very poor. I do feel he's carrying some sort of on-going injury. But nonetheless what an achievement from Nadal. THIRTEEN French Open titles is just mind-blowing and now 20 slam titles.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 5:35 PM, Toepoke said:

Has there ever been a player with such an advantage on a single surface? 65% of his slams won on clay!

Yet he's also an Aussie open away from being the only man (Open era) to win them all twice.