Tennis 2019 - Page 5 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2019

Hertsscot

It would boost morale if he got to the Final and catapult him up to 155 in the rankings. I do feel that Wawrinka may just be too big an ask in the Final though. Stan has always proved troublesome for Andy and considering Andy is still on the comeback trail and playing back-to-back matches on consecutive days for the first time in around two years it may prove physically too much as well. Also there is the chance that Andy will pull out of the semi or the final given that his wife Kim is expected to go into labour any time now. 

An improving sort of performance from Murray or perhaps it was that Humbert's level dipped? Anyway Andy Murray wins 3-6 7-5 6-2. He will play Wawrinka in the final tomorrow providing Kim has not gone into labour. I cannot see Andy having enough in the tank to beat Stan the Man or being quite match sharp enough but reaching a final again is a great achievement considering his ground-breaking operation for a singles player. Murray's live ATP Ranking now up to 155.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

39 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

An improving sort of performance from Murray or perhaps it was that Humbert's level dipped? Anyway Andy Murray wins 3-6 7-5 6-2. He will play Wawrinka in the final tomorrow providing Kim has not gone into labour. I cannot see Andy having enough in the tank to beat Stan the Man or being quite match sharp enough but reaching a final again is a great achievement considering his ground-breaking operation for a singles player. Murray's live ATP Ranking now up to 155.

Wawrinka will be a good test for Andy, combined with the demand of playing matches in such quick succession. 

I cant see him winning but it’s been a good week nevertheless. 

It all bodes well for Murray’s efforts on this long road of recovery.

I think the whole of next year is basically needed to continue to build through the slams hopefully getting some best of 5 matches under his belt. If he’s close to being competitive by the time the US comes around next year then it’ll give him real hope going into the following season and the Aus Open. 

What a Herculean effort. Andy Murray has won the European Open beating Stan Wawrinka 3-6 6-4 6-4. Unbelievable. He was breaks down in the second and third sets and fought back to win an epic match. Without a doubt that is Andy's best ATP250 title of his career. This man is Lazarus. Welcome back to the big time Andy.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What a Herculean effort. Andy Murray has won the European Open beating Stan Wawrinka 3-6 6-4 6-4. Unbelievable. He was breaks down in the second and third sets and fought back to win an epic match. Without a doubt that is Andy's best ATP250 title of his career. This man is Lazarus. Welcome back to the big time Andy.

Sensational effort from Murray to hang in the 2nd set when Stan was looking unbeatable. 

3rd set swung back and forth but he stuck at it and deserved that. Brilliant!!

Up to 127 in the world now.

2 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Sensational effort from Murray to hang in the 2nd set when Stan was looking unbeatable. 

3rd set swung back and forth but he stuck at it and deserved that. Brilliant!!

Up to 127 in the world now.

That really is a special win.

The hip operation he had was ground-breaking for a singles player and seen to be a great risk. He took that risk when his career looked done at the start of the year. Here he is nine months later winning a singles title against a three times Slam winner who is inside the World top 20 and was by no means playing shabby tennis. It really is a testament to his grit and determination and will to succeed that is remarkable. 

• 10 months later...

Andy Murray played the Southern and Western Open (meant for Cincinatti) but was moved to New York so that all competing players could stay safe in the bubble set up to protect against COVID-19infection with the US Open starting in a few days.

It was Andy's first tournament back on the tennis circuit for just under a year and he can take heart. He won a drawn out match in three sets against Tiafoe despite being visibly rusty. In the second round he had an excellent win against the world No 7 Alex Zverev again in three sets. Okay Zverev had serving yips but Murray showed enough to tell us the old magic is still there. In the third round he lost tamely and disappointingly 6-2 6-2 against Raonic who is always a tough opponent. However, a good start for Murray on yet another comeback trail.

The US Open draw has seen Andy Murray drawn in the First Round against Japan's Yoshihito Nishioka - a match I'd expect Andy to win.

Best of luck Andy.

On 8/28/2020 at 3:35 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Andy Murray played the Southern and Western Open (meant for Cincinatti) but was moved to New York so that all competing players could stay safe in the bubble set up to protect against COVID-19infection with the US Open starting in a few days.

It was Andy's first tournament back on the tennis circuit for just under a year and he can take heart. He won a drawn out match in three sets against Tiafoe despite being visibly rusty. In the second round he had an excellent win against the world No 7 Alex Zverev again in three sets. Okay Zverev had serving yips but Murray showed enough to tell us the old magic is still there. In the third round he lost tamely and disappointingly 6-2 6-2 against Raonic who is always a tough opponent. However, a good start for Murray on yet another comeback trail.

The US Open draw has seen Andy Murray drawn in the First Round against Japan's Yoshihito Nishioka - a match I'd expect Andy to win.

Best of luck Andy.

Murray wins in 5 sets after being 2 down in us open 

A truly epic win. 

He looked down and out early in the third set. Even I never gave him a hope in hell's chance. He steeled (poor pun) himself and began to fire himself up and he slowly cranked into gear and hauled himself back from the point of oblivion.

To turn that match around was remarkable enough but when you take into account he has had a hip replacement it is mind-blowing.

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves here. He is not in the physical shape to go very deep and is only just feeling his way back into competitive tennis. It is like him starting from scratch. Little steps and all that.

However, in the last week or two the fact he has beaten a world No 7 and won a marathon five setter from two sets down are all encouraging signs for the future.

I dont ever post in this section but that was truly magnificent to watch last night. What an example to set , and will do his confidence no harm whatsoever after all his injuries. 

It cheered me up after hearing Scotland imposed a 14 day quarantine on people travelling back from Greece, 2 hours after I booked a holiday to Greece leaving on Friday ...

It's going to be a lot tougher tonight/tomorrow morning against Felix Auger-Aliassime. He's a rising star in the game, a great striker of the ball and with wonderful movement.

But he is quite inexperienced.

Andy got the cryo session that he wanted, so hopefully that accelerates his recovery.