Tennis 2019 - Page 4 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2019

Hertsscot

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Great news, its been a slow process but he is getting there. 

Indeed.

Andy, in singles tennis, is now a pioneer. Nobody has played singles tennis following the hip operation that he has had. To even be back playing tennis at a level that can see him winning matches against players ranked in the top twenty says a heck of a lot.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Indeed.

Andy, in singles tennis, is now a pioneer. Nobody has played singles tennis following the hip operation that he has had. To even be back playing tennis at a level that can see him winning matches against players ranked in the top twenty says a heck of a lot.

I believe he has another slam in him, preferrably the french so he ccan say has won on all surfaces but I will settle for another wimbledon 👍

Just now, vanderark14 said:

I believe he has another slam in him, preferrably the french so he ccan say has won on all surfaces but I will settle for another wimbledon 👍

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. It is just great to have Andy back on court and playing competitive tennis pain-free. In my opinion if he were to win another slam it would be the best slam win of his career and would be something no player has done before.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. It is just great to have Andy back on court and playing competitive tennis pain-free. In my opinion if he were to win another slam it would be the best slam win of his career and would be something no player has done before.

I'm not getting ahead of myself, I don't think the slam win is coming in Australia in January but I do think he will win one more. 

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not getting ahead of myself, I don't think the slam win is coming in Australia in January but I do think he will win one more. 

Well it is a bit considering Andy is ranked 500+  and has just come back from several months out of tennis and having to undergo a ground-breaking and pioneering operation which no player has ever undergone and went on to return to play singles tennis matches. Before he even thinks about slam wins he has to totally rebuild his career by regaining fitness and stamina which he will no doubt do at the end of the season with rigorous training as is per his norm. He will then have to repair the massive damage done to his ranking and fight his way back up the rankings as, at present, he could draw Novak Djokovic or players of his standard in the opening rounds of the biggest tournaments. I am not ruling out the possibility but at the moment it is a distant dream.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well it is a bit considering Andy is ranked 500+  and has just come back from several months out of tennis and having to undergo a ground-breaking and pioneering operation which no player has ever undergone and went on to return to play singles tennis matches. Before he even thinks about slam wins he has to totally rebuild his career by regaining fitness and stamina which he will no doubt do at the end of the season with rigorous training as is per his norm. He will then have to repair the massive damage done to his ranking and fight his way back up the rankings as, at present, he could draw Novak Djokovic or players of his standard in the opening rounds of the biggest tournaments. I am not ruling out the possibility but at the moment it is a distant dream.

well bugger off and stopping fucking with my dream, I don't want realism, it has no place in sport🤣

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Thiem wins 6-2 7-6. Considering where he was and who he was playing against that was an encouraging showing from Andy. He was 5-3 down in the second set and fought back to take it to a tie-break. At the very least he was competitive.

That's all he needs right now, knowing he didnt get blown away is a massive step forward. It's all about preparing for next season now.

Andy Murray continues on the comeback trail tomorrow morning. He plays in the First Round of the Shanghai Masters against Argentinian qualifier Juan Ignacio Londero. It is a match I'd expect Andy to win and if he does he'd play the winner of the Fabio Fognini and Sam Querrey match in the Second Round.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Andy Murray wins 2-6 6-2 6-3. Improved as the match went on and played some good stuff in the third set. In the second round he'll play either Fognini or Querrey. All very valuable ranking points for him to as he starts that long climb back up the rankings as he is now into the 200s.

Great news.

Mon andy.

Andy Murray beats Marius Copil 6-3 6-7 6-4 to reach his first singles semi-finals since his hip operation. He made it much harder for himself than it needed be as he was a break up in the second set and 4-1 up in the tie-breaker. It is a win that takes him up to a provisional ranking of 178.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Andy Murray beats Marius Copil 6-3 6-7 6-4 to reach his first singles semi-finals since his hip operation. He made it much harder for himself than it needed be as he was a break up in the second set and 4-1 up in the tie-breaker. It is a win that takes him up to a provisional ranking of 

Great news. Was watching the scores online there. 

Were you watching it??

I had the tennis on Prime earlier this year but don’t have it any more. Not sure if either Prime or TennisTV subscription is worth it. Have you got either? 

1 minute ago, AlfieMoon said:

Great news. Was watching the scores online there. 

Were you watching it??

I had the tennis on Prime earlier this year but don’t have it any more. Not sure if either Prime or TennisTV subscription is worth it. Have you got either? 

Yes I watched it live on Bet365. It wasn't Andy at his best as he should have wrapped it up in straight sets. Hey ho though a win is a win. Next up will probably be Guido Pella in the semis.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I watched it live on Bet365. It wasn't Andy at his best as he should have wrapped it up in straight sets. Hey ho though a win is a win. Next up will probably be Guido Pella in the semis.

Ah, good to know Bet365 is another option. Hadn’t thought of the betting sites. Cheers!