Tennis 2019 - Page 3 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2019

Hertsscot

5 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Women's semi finals were total non events. Lets hope the final is a competitive match.

I think yesterday summed up the whole tournament. The matches on both the womens and mens game have been poor in terms of drama, competitiveness and entertainment. 

The only exception being kyrgios v Nadal which delivered everything.

Hopefully Nadal and Federer roll back the years to deliver a classic. I have a feeling Nadal will do it in three sets but its Federer, he cant be ruled out.

Edited by vanderark14

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I think yesterday summed up the whole tournament. The matches on both the womens and mens game have been poor in terms of drama, competitiveness and entertainment. 

The only exception being kyrgios v Nadal which delivered everything.

Hopefully Nadal and Federer roll back the years to deliver a classic. I have a feeling Nadal will do it in three sets but its Federer, he cant be ruled out.

What the fuck do I know 🤣🤣🤣🤣

13 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Only saw the last set but both of them still playing outrageous tennis.

Hard to believe how good Federer still is at 38. I remember Jimmy Connors at Wimbledon at that age being treated like Methuselah.

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Only saw the last set but both of them still playing outrageous tennis.

Hard to believe how good Federer still is at 38. I remember Jimmy Connors at Wimbledon at that age being treated like Methuselah.

Federer is the games biggest expert in "preparation" and "recovery". 

In the cycling a couple of days ago, 14(maybe 11) folk went above 1800 VAM. a landmark that is so high you can name the individuals that had done it previously.

a 37 year old tennis player is nothing these days. I remember you'd be done at 30 when i was a kid.

• 1 month later...

3 mixed doubles US open titles in a row for Jamie's murray. 🎾👍🏻. Hes the first man to do this in the open era.

Andreescu beats serena William's in straight sets to win the womens singles title. Excellent stuff, after William's tantrum in the final last year, I hope she doesn't win another slam

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

3 mixed doubles US open titles in a row for Jamie's murray. 🎾👍🏻. Hes the first man to do this in the open era.

Andreescu beats serena William's in straight sets to win the womens singles title. Excellent stuff, after William's tantrum in the final last year, I hope she doesn't win another slam

The thing that bugs me about folk going on about Serena winning while pregnant. Being pregnant is a huge performance boost in the first trimester. So much so that rumours of Abortion Doping have went about for years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_doping

On 9/9/2019 at 1:36 AM, Toepoke said:

Nadal and Medvedev taking the final into the wee small hours...

An epic final, If I was able to stay awake passed 10pm I would have watched it 😂. Nadal will go on to  pass Federer's slam count, Nadal probably has another 4 french opens in the bag.

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

An epic final, If I was able to stay awake passed 10pm I would have watched it 😂. Nadal will go on to  pass Federer's slam count, Nadal probably has another 4 french opens in the bag.

Was a great final indeed. I fell asleep midway through the 3rd set, thinking it was almost over. Woke up shortly later and it was 2-2 in the 4th. 

All the commentators thought it would be an easy win for Rafa and that it was getting wrapped up quickly given the first couple of sets. Medvedev obviously had other ideas - fair play to him. He's had a great hard court season and is some competitor. He's far from spectacular when compared to Fed, Nadal, etc. but he's pretty damn effective.

Will be interesting to see how long the top 3 last and how many more slams each of them will get. It's remarkable that all three have come back from extended injury/recovery breaks and made it right back to the very top. Nadal particularly has amazed me with the intensity that he plays at that he's made it this far. He's done well to manage himself through to win the US after struggling physically at the start of the year. Not to mention his RG title and SF at Wimbers. Unbelievable! 

Would really love one of the younger guys to step up now and properly mix it with these guys and take a few titles. 

15 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Was a great final indeed. I fell asleep midway through the 3rd set, thinking it was almost over. Woke up shortly later and it was 2-2 in the 4th. 

All the commentators thought it would be an easy win for Rafa and that it was getting wrapped up quickly given the first couple of sets. Medvedev obviously had other ideas - fair play to him. He's had a great hard court season and is some competitor. He's far from spectacular when compared to Fed, Nadal, etc. but he's pretty damn effective.

Will be interesting to see how long the top 3 last and how many more slams each of them will get. It's remarkable that all three have come back from extended injury/recovery breaks and made it right back to the very top. Nadal particularly has amazed me with the intensity that he plays at that he's made it this far. He's done well to manage himself through to win the US after struggling physically at the start of the year. Not to mention his RG title and SF at Wimbers. Unbelievable! 

Would really love one of the younger guys to step up now and properly mix it with these guys and take a few titles. 

Conspiracy theorists will have us think its drugs that have kept Nadal, Djokovic and Federer at the top for so long, maybe it is maybe its not. It is an incredible period of dominance.  I sometimes wonder if Murray is done because he doesn;t have the talent of the big 3 and he had to push his body to such limits, its ended up breaking him. Regardless of the reasons, Murray can be proud he picked up three slams in a period where its close to impossible to do so, especially with the pressure he had on his first Wimbledon title. 

I thought Zverev would step up this year after picking up a few Masters tournaments but its not happened for him.

I haven't read any conspiracy theories to that affect but wouldn't believe that. 

Those guys have simply pushed the game to a completely different level. In doing so they have developed experience and a mental strength that now gives them a huge advantage - particularly in slams over 5 sets. They tend to get through each round with far less time on court than the competition and if someone goes 1 or 2 sets down against any of the top 3 guys then the opponent is more often than not mentally broken. The status, seedings and experience that the top 3 have earned in the game serves them well. 

I know there's some that would have the men's slams stripped down to best of 3 sets but I think that would be a pretty poor decision and is unlikely to happen. 

I think you're right about Murray not having quite the same level of talent and his body having not coped but a bit of that might just be misfortune - who knows. It's fairly obvious that Nadal has given his body an absolute battering as well but he's still competing. Murray is still arguably Scotland's greatest ever sportsperson though to achieve what he has. 

Zverev is definitely a talent but his serve fell to bits in the US. Other guys like Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Thiem are pretty good and I like Kyrgios even though he's total marmite and self destructs more often than not. I think there's high hopes for the young Canadian guy Auger-Aliassime as well. Will be interesting to see who rises to the top. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 12:00 PM, AlfieMoon said:

I haven't read any conspiracy theories to that affect but wouldn't believe that. 

Those guys have simply pushed the game to a completely different level. In doing so they have developed experience and a mental strength that now gives them a huge advantage - particularly in slams over 5 sets. They tend to get through each round with far less time on court than the competition and if someone goes 1 or 2 sets down against any of the top 3 guys then the opponent is more often than not mentally broken. The status, seedings and experience that the top 3 have earned in the game serves them well. 

I know there's some that would have the men's slams stripped down to best of 3 sets but I think that would be a pretty poor decision and is unlikely to happen. 

I think you're right about Murray not having quite the same level of talent and his body having not coped but a bit of that might just be misfortune - who knows. It's fairly obvious that Nadal has given his body an absolute battering as well but he's still competing. Murray is still arguably Scotland's greatest ever sportsperson though to achieve what he has. 

Zverev is definitely a talent but his serve fell to bits in the US. Other guys like Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Thiem are pretty good and I like Kyrgios even though he's total marmite and self destructs more often than not. I think there's high hopes for the young Canadian guy Auger-Aliassime as well. Will be interesting to see who rises to the top. 

Andy Murray's achilles heel has always been his self-belief which just does not quite match up to serial slam winners Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

39 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A nice step forward in his comeback. It is his fitness I think he needs to work on and stamina to enable him to recover between matches and go again a day or two later to a high standard.

Yeah it would seem so but if he's able to beat these guys when unfit then that's a pretty good position to be in as we know that Murray definitely has the tenacity to work on his fitness. Very positive.

32 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

After beating Cameron Norrie in three long sets yesterday, Andy Murray will play No 4 seed Dominic Thiem in the QF's of the China Open tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how competitive he can be given that Thiem is inside the world top ten.

Great news, its been a slow process but he is getting there.