Tennis 2019 - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2019

Hertsscot

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Three big upsets yesterday

Venus Williams, Osaka and Zverev all papped out in the first round.

Tsitsipas getting knocked out was also a big shock and Gael Monfils is out having to retire in the 5th set with a knee injury.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Tsitsipas getting knocked out was also a big shock and Gael Monfils is out having to retire in the 5th set with a knee injury.

I didn't know till now he was out, a good day for upsets. I want to see a different winner this year and I had hoped it would be Zverev but I can't see anyone but one of the big three taking the trophy home

22 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Andy Murray confirms he's playing mixed doubles with Serena Williams.

I wish he didn't. I'm not a fan of serena. 

Britain's number one is out. Bye bye Kyle 

Just now, vanderark14 said:

I wish he didn't. I'm not a fan of serena. 

Britain's number one is out. Bye bye Kyle 

Are entries normally allowed this late into the mixed doubles? Or, is an exception being made for two players of their stature?

Just now, Cove_Sheep said:

Are entries normally allowed this late into the mixed doubles? Or, is an exception being made for two players of their stature?

Dont know mate, till Jamie Murray came around I never paid much attention to that tournament. I was lucky enough to see Jamie play and win on court one last year

One of the things that makes me go 'top fucking boy' about Andy Murray in the last couple of days is that he's consistently said Serena Williams is one of the best tennis players ever. Not one of the best women's players ever. I honestly think Federer, Djokovic and most of the other top male players would have said best women's players automatically. He doesn't. Because he's the top fucki g dog. 

8 hours ago, biffer said:

One of the things that makes me go 'top fucking boy' about Andy Murray in the last couple of days is that he's consistently said Serena Williams is one of the best tennis players ever. Not one of the best women's players ever. I honestly think Federer, Djokovic and most of the other top male players would have said best women's players automatically. He doesn't. Because he's the top fucki g dog. 

There’s nothing wrong with saying she’s one of the best women players ever. 

13 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Entries were open to anyone eligible until 11am yesterday. I assume that's because a lot of players aren't in a position to commit for various reasons until the tournament is already underway.

On 7/5/2019 at 6:59 AM, vanderark14 said:

His interview after the match was equally entertaining, He makes a good point re nadal and his time wasting. 

I haven't watched tennis as much as I would like to over the past couple of years but caught this interview and I too found it entertaining . Very  refreshing,  though no doubt some would find it ‘ not in the spirit of the tennis culture’  🙄

Btw, Wimbledon was on in the background a short time ago, it was some sort of cringy ceremony fawning over various sports celebrities in the audience, showing clips of each of them and then them standing up and being cheered by the crowd. . Then they moved onto  the bloody military. Does this happen every year or is there something special this year ?  It might be me being overly cynical but I found it embarrassing. 

On 7/5/2019 at 6:59 AM, vanderark14 said:

His interview after the match was equally entertaining, He makes a good point re nadal and his time wasting. 

That's the problem with Kyrgios. He has some good points to make but he acts like such a dick that they get lost in the noise. He's made it clear he thinks most of the top players are arrogant selfish arseholes, but interestingly never has a bad word to say about Andy Murray 

1 hour ago, biffer said:

That's the problem with Kyrgios. He has some good points to make but he acts like such a dick that they get lost in the noise. He's made it clear he thinks most of the top players are arrogant selfish arseholes, but interestingly never has a bad word to say about Andy Murray 

Murray has been good wih kyrgios, I doubt Murray has an arrogant bone in his body which is probably why kyrgios likes him

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Murray has been good wih kyrgios, I doubt Murray has an arrogant bone in his body which is probably why kyrgios likes him

Indeed. Nor does murray wheel put the same dull, day nothing of substance, cause no offence interview like nadal and federer do every time. 

Kyrgios has been excellent for this Wimbledon. He's been about the only decent talking point the whole tournament   

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Indeed. Nor does murray wheel put the same dull, day nothing of substance, cause no offence interview like nadal and federer do every time. 

Kyrgios has been excellent for this Wimbledon. He's been about the only decent talking point the whole tournament   

Yeah, but Kyrgios is a dick though. 

15 hours ago, biffer said:

Yeah, but Kyrgios is a dick though. 

Disagree. He can be mouthy and obnoxious but he strikes me as a pretty decent human-being.

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Disagree. He can be mouthy and obnoxious but he strikes me as a pretty decent human-being.

Agree with this. 

Also, Wimbledon has been disappointing so far with the exception of kyrgios and gauff. 

I hope Andy does well as always but itll be through gritted teeth because I'm no fan of serena. Shes classless 

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Agree with this. 

Also, Wimbledon has been disappointing so far with the exception of kyrgios and gauff. 

I hope Andy does well as always but itll be through gritted teeth because I'm no fan of serena. Shes classless 

How dare you?!? Don’t you know that she’s a mother?!?