Tennis 2019 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2019

Hertsscot

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes a refreshing final. Osaka an up and coming player and now a multiple slam winner against Kvitova who is returning from bein stabbed. Well contested and enjoyable final.

Oh, I think she's firmly up and came. :P

She's number one in the world. She's definitely a special player. I don't think I've ever seen a player who is so grounded and genuinely humble. She's also quirky and so ordinary, it's refreshing to so a player who is "normal" and a player who is unpretentious.

3 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Oh, I think she's firmly up and came. :P

She's number one in the world. She's definitely a special player. I don't think I've ever seen a player who is so grounded and genuinely humble. She's also quirky and so ordinary, it's refreshing to so a player who is "normal" and a player who is unpretentious.

Speaking as established tennis stars to go ie those that have been on the world stage for years and she has only just become the No 1 today as a result of this win. It will be interesting to see if she can become a dominant force in the sport.

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Speaking as established tennis stars to go ie those that have been on the world stage for years and she has only just become the No 1 today as a result of this win. It will be interesting to see if she can become a dominant force in the sport.

Honestly, I think she's going to be unlike players like Halep, Kerber, Kvitová, etc, in that her career won't fluctuate like theirs did. I know that it's impossible to predict, but the way that she is, as well as her mentality and game, I think she's going to be as dominant as Serena. At 21 she's the only player in the history of tennis to have a winning record against Serena, and that's impressive as hell.

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Really enjoyed the women's final. Great win by Osaka and incredible to see Kvitova back in a final after she must have feared she would never play again.

Agreed, hugely enjoyable match and refreshing to see some new talent like Osaka instead of one players dominating. The women's game has some exciting times ahead. 

For some odd reason I'm not really looking forward to tomorrow's final despite being a tennis fan

• 4 months later...
On 1/27/2019 at 5:46 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

At the rate Djokovic is going I would not rule him out overhauling Federer's slam haul.

Djokovic dismantled zverev yesterday. The top 3 "oldies" are still dominating. A Djokovic v  Nadal final could be epic

Over at the womens tournament, halep goes out so the Hungarian aussie will never have a better chance at a slam. The British press will go into meltdown if she wins it

9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

the Hungarian aussie will never have a better chance at a slam. The British press will go into meltdown if she wins it

To be fair she's lived half her life in the UK, but yes in the wake of the Murray brothers it's pretty difficult to feel an emotional attachment to a tennis player from Eastbourne with 3 passports. 

31 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

To be fair she's lived half her life in the UK, but yes in the wake of the Murray brothers it's pretty difficult to feel an emotional attachment to a tennis player from Eastbourne with 3 passports.

I quite like Konta, largely on the basis that a large section of the English press seemed to be having a real go at her over last year and I'm not quite sure what she'd done to deserve it.

• 2 weeks later...

A great achievement by both Lopez and Murray on reaching the Men's Doubles Finals at Queen's. Obviously, it is Murray's first tournament for 6 months after a serious hip operation that threatened to end his career and Lopez (at 37) had to play three matches today. A gruelling semi win in three sets, straight back out to finish the QF match and they stayed on court to immediately play the semi which they won. Great achievement.

26 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Murray and Lopez win the doubles tournament at queens

That his some achievement by both men. Lopez is 37 and had to play multiple back-to-back matches this week and came away with two titles. Andy was back in competitive tennis for the first time in 6 months after a serious hip operation and he comes away with a title. Very encouraging signs for him. Little steps though and hopefully he continues to feel pain free.