game venue - Belgium v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

TA-West Germany

Hi,

Just got information from a Belgian pal I know from Cologne games that goes to Belgium internationals quite regularly.

He said that 4 out of their 5 home games have been put to Brussels and the national stadium but the only one not is our game in June.

Seems like we will play in Luttich, Genk, Brugge or maybe even Gent.

Then I found this:

http://www.belgianfootball.be/fr/nouvelles/les-diables-rouges-%C3%A0-domicile-%C3%A0-prix-r%C3%A9duit

• Belgique – Russie (21/03/2019, Stade Roi Baudouin)
  • Belgique – Kazakhstan (08/06/2019, Stade Roi Baudouin)
  • Belgique – Ecosse* (11/06/2019)
  • Belgique – Saint-Marin (10/10/2019, Stade Roi Baudouin)
  • Belgique – Chypre (19/11/2019, Stade Roi Baudouin)

* IMPORTANT : le lieu de la rencontre pour Belgique - Ecosse n’a à ce jour pas encore été confirmé. Il n’est donc pas impossible que ce match ne soit pas joué au Stade Roi Baudouin.

Text says sth like this:

venue for Scotland game has not been confirmed yet. This does not mean that the game will definitely not be in Brussels.

So it may still be in Brussels but also may be played in any of the other cities.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can’t believe people were worried the game wouldn’t be in Brussels. 

Its the only stadium that holds more that 30,000 in the whole of Belgium and Brussels is probably the only Belgium city that could cope with 5,000 extra visitors. 

18 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Can’t believe people were worried the game wouldn’t be in Brussels. 

Its the only stadium that holds more that 30,000 in the whole of Belgium and Brussels is probably the only Belgium city that could cope with 5,000 extra visitors. 

I think the issue was there is a big concert a couple of days after the game and they had a contract that said they would have the stadium for 5 days before the game so they could get everything prepared. I think the Beligian FA had to go to them and rengeotiate the contract which is why there was speculation.

2 hours ago, theweestevie said:

I think the issue was there is a big concert a couple of days after the game and they had a contract that said they would have the stadium for 5 days before the game so they could get everything prepared. I think the Beligian FA had to go to them and rengeotiate the contract which is why there was speculation.

Yeah I saw that but I think that was just the Daily Record making a story out of nothing. I don’t think there was ever any real danger of the game being played elsewhere. 

Scotland aren’t exactly a huge draw but can you imagine Belgium were due to play France or Germany on June 11? Whoever owns the stadium must have known this was a risk when they signed a contract with Metallica to play 5 days later.