Hugh McIlvanney - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hugh McIlvanney

5 hours ago, neilser said:

Sorry to hear of his death - one of the greatest sportswriters and held in great respect by  those he  those he wrote about.

What a life he had ...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/25/hugh-mcilvanney-veteran-sports-reporter-dies-aged-84

Didnt see this thread and posted that article on the celebrity deaths thread. It's worth poring over the comments some tremendous memories there.

1 minute ago, bonzo said:

He was also the inspiration for the original only an excuse which I still have on tape somewhere. 

It was actually Willie that narrated Only A Game.

Quite appropriate in a way that such a great Ayrshire writer departs the scene on Burns' day.

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Quite appropriate in a way that such a great Ayrshire writer departs the scene on Burns' day.

I thought the two of them were involved.....apologies. 

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Mr poke the mare I look at this you're talkin about only a game... I'm talking about only an excuse!!!!?

8 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Mr poke the mare I look at this you're talkin about only a game... I'm talking about only an excuse!!!!?

Hugh narrated OAG, which was the first time any serious documentary had been done on Scottish football.  OAE started off as a pisstake of OAG and part of the joke was it was "Willie" was the narrator.  Obviously they both had the same accent played  by Tony Roper, I assume.  In one of the original tapes of OAE there's a bit where "Hugh" comes in and has a go at "Willie" who responds by saying something like "I wrote Laidlaw you know"

it is very confusing though. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Hugh narrated OAG, which was the first time any serious documentary had been done on Scottish football.  OAE started off as a pisstake of OAG and part of the joke was it was "Willie" was the narrator.  Obviously they both had the same accent played  by Tony Roper, I assume.  In one of the original tapes of OAE there's a bit where "Hugh" comes in and has a go at "Willie" who responds by saying something like "I wrote Laidlaw you know"

it is very confusing though. 

Don't think it was a piss take an offtake maybe?