Oliver Burke - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver Burke

robbo cop

I totally get Burke wanting to stay. He's playing for a team top of the league. He's playing regularly, scoring goals and getting plenty chances id imagine. I could be wrong but as ridiculous as this sounds id  doubt hes ever experienced this before and he's probably rubbing his hands thinking he's struck gold. Unfortunately for Burke he'll need to realise pretty soon he's played against relative dross so far and will do for around 75 percent of the time he's there. 

On 1/26/2019 at 3:56 AM, shunkyboy and the fluffer said:

What was the problem at West Brom? If he has genuinely had to move to Celtic to get game time this is fucking baffling?

The championship doesn't have teams of the standard of St Mirren to make Burke look good unfortunately.

3 hours ago, mcnish said:

The championship doesn't have teams of the standard of St Mirren to make Burke look good unfortunately.

While st mirren and Hamilton are pretty dire he is at least looking very good against them and it would of been very worrying if he wasn't. We will get a better idea of where he's at against the likes of rangers, Aberdeen etc who are easily the same standard as mid table English championship teams. Also hopefully he gets started v Valencia as that would be a good test. Either way he's at least getting game time and looking good regardless of the opposition quality. A couple of seasons at Celtic would do him a world of good. Didn't do van dijk ,dembele and wanyama any harm.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:46 PM, mcnish said:

Playing against teams of the standard of St Mirren was enough to have people clamouring for years to get Griff into the team. Why would it now be insufficient to warrant Burke being called upon?  You can only beat who you're playing against.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:46 PM, mcnish said:

Another one who thinks that the English Championship is a terrific league just because Sky Sports say so. :rolleyes:

On 1/28/2019 at 6:16 PM, mccaughey85 said:

While st mirren and Hamilton are pretty dire he is at least looking very good against them and it would of been very worrying if he wasn't. We will get a better idea of where he's at against the likes of rangers, Aberdeen etc who are easily the same standard as mid table English championship teams. Also hopefully he gets started v Valencia as that would be a good test. Either way he's at least getting game time and looking good regardless of the opposition quality. A couple of seasons at Celtic would do him a world of good. Didn't do van dijk ,dembele and wanyama any harm.

Good post.

Shaun Maloney, Steven Davis, Stilyan Petrov, James McFadden, Artur Boruc, James McArthur, and Craig Gordon to that list as well.

Even a past his peak Barry Ferguson played not to bad for Birmingham City.

10 million reported if Celtic wanted Oliver on permanent basis as his contract with WB runs until 2022. He seems keen to stay. Sometimes just feeling settled and comfortable in your own surroundings is all a player needs to get back to the player he can be. BR obviously is a huge bonus for Ollie. I like this Bhoys attitude. Time will tell. 

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:46 PM, mcnish said:

Yes it does. I watch a lot of Championship football, and it's about the same standard as the SPL.

Burke has never looked good in the English Championship because he's never played consistently in that league. Darren Moore is a bit of a wimp as a manager. I was watching a WBA match a month or so ago, the opposition had a man sent off, instead of bringing on Burke (or another attacking player), he subbed on a defensive midfielder. 100% serious.

If Celtic can get Burke for £10m then I'd buy him as soon as possible. He was immense potential. He's lightening quick, he's strong as an ox, and his touch is better than some people give him credit for. People look at him and think he can't be bothered, as he has a lethargic look about him, but he just doesn't like tracking back. It reminds me of Mourinho's handling of Pogba. Pogba does his best work in attacking areas, and yet Mourinho asked him to track back and be a water-carrier. That isn't Pogba, and it isn't Burke, either. (And no, I'm not comparing Burke with Pogba)

Burke cares more than he shows. Look how dedicated he's been with our under 21's. He got demoted from the full team and yet you didn't hear a peep out of him. Instead he showed up and gave his all for the under 21's.

All Burke needs is game time and a manger who believes in him. If he can have games under his belt, a manager who trusts him then he could go far. The cliché of "there's a player in there" is definitely true about Oliver Burke. 

Edited by Chripper

From watching bits of the Celtic games he's played in I'd say my only gripe is how selfish he can be. There's been quite a few times he's burst into the box from wide and instead of squaring to a team mate for an easy assist, he's tried to score from an impossible angle. Maybe he's to eager to showcase his talent but i'd like to see Rodgers coach him into being a more rounded team player as the lad clearly has a lot of potential

Let me start by saying that I hate Celtic, so theres no blinkers here.

If Celtic played WBA they would absolutely hammer them, the Sky Sports Super Championship is pish, as is most of the bestest league in the world ever Premier League.

17 hours ago, kumnio said:

Let me start by saying that I hate Celtic, so theres no blinkers here.

If Celtic played WBA they would absolutely hammer them, the Sky Sports Super Championship is pish, as is most of the bestest league in the world ever Premier League.

Equally though if WBA played St Mirren they'd probably win 6-0

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Right then, who's in favour of Oliver Burke to start for us on March 21st against Kazakhstan ?

I think I'd take the risk and play Burke up front with Ryan Christie in support behind him.

I'd still be tempted to stick with Fletch after those 2 great performances last time out but if Burke carries on or does even better then it's going to be a close call. The amount of pace between Burke, Fraser, Forrest & Christie means it could be our most exciting front line for years.

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

I'd still be tempted to stick with Fletch after those 2 great performances last time out but if Burke carries on or does even better then it's going to be a close call. The amount of pace between Burke, Fraser, Forrest & Christie means it could be our most exciting front line for years.

Totally agree. Our forward line was looking like it was just missing one element. Of course, Griffiths was the missing link.

Burke alongside Fraser and Forrest is mouthwatering, if they can all continue their current form. Plus, Armstrong, Christie, McGregor, McGinn etc filling up the middle of the park. 

It feels like we are finally bearing down on assembling a proper International squad

Edited by Tartan blood

The trouble is going to be fitting all these guys into the team. Agreed though, you can't help but feel we're going to have a good period especially with the strength in defence as well. I reckon wales, ni and republic would be bending over backwards to select Burke if they could.

2 minutes ago, JECK said:

The trouble is going to be fitting all these guys into the team. Agreed though, you can't help but feel we're going to have a good period especially with the strength in defence as well. I reckon wales, ni and republic would be bending over backwards to select Burke if they could.

It gives us strength in depth. How often do we ever have a fully fit squad? 

Circa 2007, our first 11 was very strong, but we were always just a few injuries away from being severely weakened. Now, a couple of injuries is a little less terrifying.

As previously mentioned, we know players like Fletcher, Snodgrass, Mulgrew can do a job, and can be decent backup. The great thing is we may not need to rely on them now

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I would have Burke in the squad, not in my first 11.  If he had a footballing brain he would be great as he has the physical attributes.  Hopefully he will learn with experience.

That is very harsh to keep panning him with that. His assists on Sunday and his general movement and positional play proved he has got a bit of understanding of what he's meant to do on the pitch. He also seems to be getting better with each game. I don't think I'd throw him into the starting 11 but is a good option from the bench for us

39 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

That is very harsh to keep panning him with that. His assists on Sunday and his general movement and positional play proved he has got a bit of understanding of what he's meant to do on the pitch. He also seems to be getting better with each game. I don't think I'd throw him into the starting 11 but is a good option from the bench for us

Totally agree. There seems to be a lot of lazy stereotypes about Burke. He showed awareness, timing, pace and pin point delivery for his second assist. Hardly a  headless chicken. I’d start with Fletcher as central striker with Forrest and Fraser outside as before. Burke to come on as impact sub for now - although there’s a fair chance one of the front three will be injured in which case I’d probably start him. 

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Totally agree. There seems to be a lot of lazy stereotypes about Burke. He showed awareness, timing, pace and pin point delivery for his second assist. Hardly a  headless chicken. I’d start with Fletcher as central striker with Forrest and Fraser outside as before. Burke to come on as impact sub for now - although there’s a fair chance one of the front three will be injured in which case I’d probably start him. 

Exactly. People are judging him based on a couple of games when he was literally a teenager. All the great players need Mentors and guidance to fulfill their potential. Rodgers seems to cherish getting the best out of young players. Already we can see tiny tweeks being made to turn Burke into the weapon he can be.