Oliver Burke - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver Burke

robbo cop

Showed some good touches and created opportunities for others as well as getting the two goals himself. A really good start, but the bar is set now, and hopefully he keeps reaching it. I'd also forgotten how tall he is. 6'2" pretty good for a quick player with decent feet.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Showed some good touches and created opportunities for others as well as getting the two goals himself. A really good start, but the bar is set now, and hopefully he keeps reaching it. I'd also forgotten how tall he is. 6'2" pretty good for a quick player with decent feet.

Quick is an understatement. 

I said it three weeks ago and I'll say it again:

People look at Burke's languid demeanour when he doesn't have the ball and they attribute that to his having a bad attitude, not being a team-player or someone who's lazy, but I wouldn't say so, he's just not the type of player who likes running around like a headless chicken. Callum McGregor knows him a little and says that he's a mature lad.

Burke looks like the type of lad who needs a manager to show faith In him and wrap their arm around his shoulder. I think Rogers might be the man to do this. There's a massive talent in there, a definite game-changer, he would be such a potent weapon for Scotland if he could unlock his potential. He just needs to be coached by a top manager and one who knows how to get the best out of him. With all due respect to Darren Moore, Brendan Rodgers is MILES better than him, and I feel that Rodgers will succeed where Moore has failed in unlicking Burke's potential.

I read that Rodgers has given Burke video footage of Luis Suarez and that he's studying them, and the most encouraging thing is that Burke sounds like he's enjoying it and that he's willing to listen, work and learn. 

I read a couple of weeks ago someone saying that apart from his speed and power he's "bang average". To write off a 21 year old, especially this one, is the epitome of insanity.

Personally I hope WBA and Celtic can work out a permanent transfer as I think Burke can realize his potential working under Rodgers.

18 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Said to my mate last night that he may be an option to play up front for us in San Marino and Kazakhstan given we'll be without Griffiths. Early days but he's done well in his first two games.

It's refreshing to see a Celtic striker actually in the box looking for deliveries. 

12 games between now and then. He's unlikely to play all of them, but if he can knock in 5 more in that time he's certainly in with a good change of at least being in the squad.

Griff is away taking care of his head, so let him do that and hope he's back next season.
Fletcher seems to be fit and back in favour, and has scored in two of his last 3 games.
McBurnie has 3 in his last two games and is in double figures for the season now.
Rhodes is pretty much only getting cameos off the bench for the last few months, but has still got some important goals, rescued a point at west brom, all 3 at millwall and scored twice to beat villa. A goal every 153 mins is decent.
The obviously we have Hardie who's on fire at Livi since getting fit. Mostly his pace getting him in behind rather than subtle link-up and movement, but finding the net none the less. Pace is certainly welcome.

So in terms of strikers we're actually in a decent place, even without Griff. 4-5 players vying for 1 shirt is good competition. Up front is looking ok, despite there not being an awful lot of caps there, besides Fletch.

If there's one manager to get the best out of Burke it's Brendan Rogers. From a Scotland point of view this is a tremendous move for Burke albeit if it's 6 months. What BR done with Forrest was fkin astonishing to be fair.

6 hours ago, JECK said:

If there's one manager to get the best out of Burke it's Brendan Rogers. From a Scotland point of view this is a tremendous move for Burke albeit if it's 6 months. What BR done with Forrest was fkin astonishing to be fair.

I agree with you. Burke is now saying he wants a permanent move to Celtic. He loves working under BR. BR has that rare ability of a coach that can bring the best out in a player. I would love for us to sign Burke in a permanent deal. He has so much potential...

5 hours ago, shunkyboy and the fluffer said:

What was the problem at West Brom? If he has genuinely had to move to Celtic to get game time this is fucking baffling?

By all account Darren Moore is a cautious manager. A few weeks ago WBA's opponents went down to 10 men, and instead of bringing Burke off the bench, he brought on a defender. 

And "cautious" is a polite way of saying that he doesn't know what he's doing.

7 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Not sure that's true. 

Why not?

Think about this logically. Options open to him are a chance to impress in the Celtic first team, perhaps win a starting spot in the team, get in the spotlight for a place in the Scotland team and get a permanent move and play possibly in the Champions League next season. Or return to West Brom to warm the bench in a Championship side who may very well still be in the Championship next season. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Why not?

Think about this logically. Options open to him are a chance to impress in the Celtic first team, perhaps win a starting spot in the team, get in the spotlight for a place in the Scotland team and get a permanent move and play possibly in the Champions League next season. Or return to West Brom to warm the bench in a Championship side who may very well still be in the Championship next season. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I was meaning the part about him already saying he wants a permanent move. He hasn't actually said that.

That's not to say that he doesn't privately want that though, and I agree with what you said above for reasons that it would be a good move for him, but we'd have to smash our transfer record and probably make him our highest paid player to get him. That simply isn't going to happen

I'd be happy to  extend the loan by 12 months, which is more realistic.

45 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I think he's at the stage of his career when he wants to play matches and he's sick of being on the bench and on the sidelines.

I can believe that he wants to move to Celtic permanently.

Again, I'm not saying he doesn't, I'm saying that he hasn't said that yet. And a few Facebook pages ran by teenagers and Celtic das claiming he has doesn't make it true 

4 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I was meaning the part about him already saying he wants a permanent move. He hasn't actually said that.

That's not to say that he doesn't privately want that though, and I agree with what you said above for reasons that it would be a good move for him, but we'd have to smash our transfer record and probably make him our highest paid player to get him. That simply isn't going to happen

I'd be happy to  extend the loan by 12 months, which is more realistic.

Ah right got you now. Well it is certainly not inconceivable he has said it. That would be perfectly feasible. What you mean, and I understand it fully, is it is highly unlikely to happen due to Celtic's spend thrift policy.

1 minute ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Again, I'm not saying he doesn't, I'm saying that he hasn't said that yet. And a few Facebook pages ran by teenagers and Celtic das claiming he has doesn't make it true 

I know.

Either way, though, I don't care who he joins (or he stays at WBA) I just want him to play and start matches.

Joining Celtic permanently would be ideal for him... and us. I think he still has 4+ years on his WBA contract so I'm guessing that it'll take a few million to get WBA to part with him.

36 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I know.

Either way, though, I don't care who he joins (or he stays at WBA) I just want him to play and start matches.

Joining Celtic permanently would be ideal for him... and us. I think he still has 4+ years on his WBA contract so I'm guessing that it'll take a few million to get WBA to part with him.

Glad you replaced the Nietzsche quote with Kipling!

On 1/26/2019 at 12:31 PM, er yir macaroon said:

“I feel at home already and I’m sure if I continue to keep doing well I’m sure I’ll want to stay here as a player.” 

"if X I'm sure i'll want to stay"
meaning current he doesnt want to stay, else it wouldn't require X.  ;)

End of the day, that's exactly what you'd expect to hear from any media trained footballer. What they say and reality have no bearing. so just wait and see what happens and try not to read too much into anything along the way.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

"if X I'm sure i'll want to stay"
meaning current he doesnt want to stay, else it wouldn't require X.  ;)

End of the day, that's exactly what you'd expect to hear from any media trained footballer. What they say and reality have no bearing. so just wait and see what happens and try not to read too much into anything along the way.

I’d rather he left. I was merely providing the relevant quote since nobody could be arsed to look it up.