World Football Thread.... - Page 26 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Football Thread....

On 5/11/2020 at 4:36 AM, fringo said:

Did anyone catch the film last night "Get the Ball, Pass the Ball" about Pep Guardiola's Barca team ?

I thought it was a cracking watch.

Where did you see it mate? I just watched the Barca series on Netflix..

On 5/11/2020 at 9:35 AM, fringo said:

Yeah I saw it a few weeks ago. Really interesting especially their trip to play Corinthians in Brazil.

Well worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I think that was part of a series of numerous films BT Sport have shown in the last 6-7 weeks featuring several sports.

One of the other ones that stood out was  Apartheid in South African sport.

Quite a few decent films shown by BT sports recently. Liked the ones about Wimbledon’s rise from non league to FA cup winners in the 80s and Forest being double European cup winners under clough. Will look out for apartheid in South African sport

On 5/6/2020 at 9:08 PM, sbcmfc said:

You didn’t have an umbrella, ella, ella, ay, ay...

😜

Ive only been to a JPT game so far, but thought the atmosphere at that was decent all things considered.

Not a patch on Hartlepool though, went to a national league game there, was absolutely bouncing. Who knew they hated Darlington so much... 🤷‍♂️

My brother supports for hartlepool for some bizarre reason (ok, when he was about 5 listening to Frank bough reading out the classifieds, he was convinced he was saying “hairy poo United”. Naturally, he found it hilarious and has been an ardent supporter since - ~45 years). Anyway, I’ve been to a fair few away games with him and about 90% of the songbook is about their hatred for darlo, ranging from their dodgy chairman to their botched and embarrassing attempt to sign asprilla. Tbh,  I don’t think there’s much, if any, by way of their own past glories for ‘pool fans to sing about. Getting to the giddy heights of the league 1 play off final seems a v long time ago now

30 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

Quite a few decent films shown by BT sports recently. Liked the ones about Wimbledon’s rise from non league to FA cup winners in the 80s and Forest being double European cup winners under clough. Will look out for apartheid in South African sport

Missed the Clough one unfortunately.

The Wimbledon one was good and it reminded was a totally, odious git Fashanu is..

1 hour ago, fringo said:

Missed the Clough one unfortunately.

The Wimbledon one was good and it reminded was a totally, odious git Fashanu is..

That’s exactly what I thought. Psychopathic almost. There’s no doubt he had a v difficult early life but you just wonder if things would have worked out differently for his brother (the one person who had been with him from the start) if he had treated him a bit better

A must watch.. "Futbol De Primera. 20 Anos". Its only 2 episodes. But holy fuck the goals, football, fans, it's incredible. Argentine football in the 80s and early 90s. I have never seen such quality football  and the goals.. Its new on Netflix.. 

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Not a bad little game in the Champions League this evening :shocked:

I said 8 about 30 mins in to my mate. Didnt back it of course haha.

Barca have been pretty poor for a couple.of years and got away with it. Bayern have been great and play like Barca used to, so intense, even at 8-2 up they were still chasing and putting pressure on. Was great to watch as a game. Kinda sad as a Barca fan. Messi could leave unless they make some major changes. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Hopefully it ends up an all german final and bayern lose to liepzig😂😂

I'd argue Leipzig are the team who've got the best chance of beating Bayern - they'd more experience playing them and they drew both league games (both even matches based on the stats), even if they're player-for-player the weakest remaining (outwith Lyon).

6 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I'd argue Leipzig are the team who've got the best chance of beating Bayern - they'd more experience playing them and they drew both league games (both even matches based on the stats), even if they're player-for-player the weakest remaining (outwith Lyon).

I only want leipzig to win because it will piss of the traditional big boys. 

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

Just seen Lewandowski's goals per game ratio is 1.2 this season, the same as Messi's peak in 2011-12, with a higher ratio in the Champions League than his overall ratio (1.75 per game).

They were saying he was favourite for Ballon d’Or before it was decided not to award it this year. 

1 minute ago, Tiny Tim said:

I’ve actually enjoyed this European football more over the last couple of weeks than I have for the last 20 years. Need to scrap these two leg affairs.

I wish they would, makes the ties much more interesting and tense - teams have to turn up on the day. If we'd had a second leg, the better teams would get a second chance if they mess up the first leg. They wouldn't though, as that reduces the number of games they can market for TV.

A Leipzig-Lyon final is entirely possible; I wouldn't put it past Lyon beating Bayern, as their style of play may be more suited to beating them than Barcelona's or Man City's. Notably, Leipzig and Lyon were in the same group; Benfica, who came third, were knocked out the Europa League last 32 by Shakhtar - who are in the semis of that competition.