World Football Thread.... - Page 39 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Football Thread....

15 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Both inter-continental World Cup playoff games will be shown on BBC Sport website/iPlayer.

Monday June 13 - Australia v Peru

Tuesday June 14 - Costa Rica v New Zealand

Both games kickoff at 7pm BST

Aussies through on penalties. 

Brought on their sub keeper for the shootout, his antics on the line were outrageous!

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Aussies through on penalties. 

Brought on their sub keeper for the shootout, his antics on the line were outrageous!

He found the Peru keepers water bottle with his penalty notes and threw it away 😂😂😂

I see FIFA are doing trials with a view to replacing throw ins with "kick ins" to try and speed up the game.  Surely this is a prime case of trying to fix something that isn't broken.  I can't see anything other than kick ins slowing the game down as every one will essentially become a free kick where the game is basically stopped to allow the defending team to regroup.

If they want to look at something that is currently slowing the game down then surely improving the current VAR process is where the focus lies.

27 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I see FIFA are doing trials with a view to replacing throw ins with "kick ins" to try and speed up the game.  Surely this is a prime case of trying to fix something that isn't broken.  I can't see anything other than kick ins slowing the game down as every one will essentially become a free kick where the game is basically stopped to allow the defending team to regroup.

If they want to look at something that is currently slowing the game down then surely improving the current VAR process is where the focus lies.

Whit next? Three corners = a penalty. I remember playing that rule for five-a-side competitions. 

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Had my first real experience of var at the Armenia game and it took too long.

In my view var should have no role in looking at potential penalty or red card incidents. Where a goal has been given the var team should have the time it takes to recentre the ball to decide whether a clear and obvious error has been made in awarding it , if they can’t decide the goal stands. Same with a penalty that has been awarded. That would speed things up, but….. you could argue limiting its scope to just that makes it not worth the money. 
One things for sure, it’ll be a total shit show when it rocks up in Scottish fitba! 😂

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...