World Football Thread.... - Page 25 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Football Thread....

7 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

If you get Sunderland ‘til I die on Canadian Netflix, it’s well worth watching. Warts and all absolute car crash documentary.

I spend a bit of time there, such a weird place (Newcastle similar) the ground casts a shadow over the city, as a football fan, I find Sunderland heartwarming and tragic at the same time. 😂

I can’t decide if I want them to win or it’s funnier when they lose.

(not this season, before Coronavirus I was waiting on Sunderland winning league one for over £2000 and they had a sniff at end of February, love and hate the bastards in equal measure 😂 )

It's an absolute hovel Sunderland. It makes Methil look like Monte Carlo. 

45 minutes ago, Farcity said:

It's an absolute hovel Sunderland. It makes Methil look like Monte Carlo. 

Aye, it’s a grim hole of a place.

If they were handing out the title, it’s surely the UK capital of daytime drinking. 😂

Not envious of much there, but the misplaced loyalty and sense of pride in their completely shit football team is endearing. Not a Liverpool or Man City top in sight.

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

I went to the Stadium Of Light once, atmosphere was shite, it was pissing with rain and we left halfway through the Rihanna gig. 

You didn’t have an umbrella, ella, ella, ay, ay...

😜

Ive only been to a JPT game so far, but thought the atmosphere at that was decent all things considered.

Not a patch on Hartlepool though, went to a national league game there, was absolutely bouncing. Who knew they hated Darlington so much... 🤷‍♂️

On 5/6/2020 at 9:50 AM, sbcmfc said:

Aye, it’s a grim hole of a place.

If they were handing out the title, it’s surely the UK capital of daytime drinking. 😂

Went on a stag there once (long story). The owner of the B&B we were staying in was hammered at 10.30am. Fell down the stairs trying to carry up one of the boys bags. Saw him being sick in the back garden before 12 :lol:

30 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Celtic Park ranked among top 25 best football stadiums in the world including Bernabeu and Nou Camp

Possibly in terms of atmosphere on their European nights, but it’s a pretty shit stadium. One of the worst in Scotland  as an away fan.

1 minute ago, Stu101 said:

Went on a stag there once (long story). The owner of the B&B we were staying in was hammered at 10.30am. Fell down the stairs trying to carry up one of the boys bags. Saw him being sick in the back garden before 12 :lol:

That’s completely unsurprising!

I went for a pint after work and saw a massive fight involving about 12 females. This was 6pm on a Monday or Tuesday night. 😂

3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Possibly in terms of atmosphere on their European nights, but it’s a pretty shit stadium. One of the worst in Scotland  as an away fan.

Yeah, the view if you are behind one of the 'bars' is awful.

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Watching an old Man Utd v Chelsea match. You forget just how good Peter Shmiechel was. Another cracking goal scorer was Dwight Yorke. 

Schmeichel and Khan were a class apart. Best two keepers I ever saw in the flesh, although never saw Buffon. Sadly kept getting injured.

54 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Schmeichel and Khan were a class apart. Best two keepers I ever saw in the flesh, although never saw Buffon. Sadly kept getting injured.

Aye, forgot about Khan, he was class. Buffon, he was world class aswell..

8 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Oliver Kahn in the 2002 World Cup was amazing from start to finish, almost single-handedly dragging a pretty poor Germany all the way. I don't think you'll ever see better than that. 

4 hours ago, Farcity said:

Oliver Kahn in the 2002 World Cup was amazing from start to finish, almost single-handedly dragging a pretty poor Germany all the way. I don't think you'll ever see better than that. 

He sold the jerseys though in the final iirc?

Been watching the BBC on a Sat. afternoon showing highlights of old world cup matches. Strange to see pass backs to goalkeepers, 2 substitutes and no VAR. If VAR was about in those day's some games could/would of ended differently. Remember watching at the time the shocking assault from Harold Schumacher on the French boy, no booking/sending off? He should of been jailed for assault. How the game has changed.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

Apologies, in my haste i missed that.

It was poorly worded by me. It was a shame that though, he was incredible up until then, which is obviously the biggest match of them all but I seem to remember that German team being one of the worst in living memory. He got player of the tournament too, I'd guess this was maybe decided before the final itself. Reckon he was probably a big arrogant bugger but couldn't help feeling sorry for him. 

5 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Been watching the BBC on a Sat. afternoon showing highlights of old world cup matches. Strange to see pass backs to goalkeepers, 2 substitutes and no VAR. If VAR was about in those day's some games could/would of ended differently. Remember watching at the time the shocking assault from Harold Schumacher on the French boy, no booking/sending off? He should of been jailed for assault. How the game has changed.

Battiston was his victim. Schumacher was a total c*nt.

1 hour ago, Fish Supper said:

Did anyone catch the tv show on Sun morning, Brothers in football? A short story of the Corinthian Casuals. 

Yeah I saw it a few weeks ago. Really interesting especially their trip to play Corinthians in Brazil.

Well worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I think that was part of a series of numerous films BT Sport have shown in the last 6-7 weeks featuring several sports.

One of the other ones that stood out was  Apartheid in South African sport.