World Football Thread.... - Page 23 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Football Thread....

1 hour ago, Mox said:

They just don't give a shit, it's all about scoring goals for them, nothing else matters. In Gomez and Ilicic they've also hot two genuine mercurial talents that wouldn't fit in anywhere else in the world, they're a joy to watch.

Nice. What football is all about..👍

On 2/17/2020 at 1:01 PM, Huddersfield said:

I’ve been in Belgium over the weekend & went to Mechelen v Anderlecht. Anderlecht lost 2-0 which looks like it damages their play-off chances. Vincent Kompany is now their player manager & got absolute dog’s abuse from their fans at the end. Booed all the way off the pitch  

I also did Genk-Liege (Liege won 3-1) on Sunday which was a cracking game. 

Ya lucky bugger.

I visited Mechelen the day after the Scotland match last year...

Didn't see a match, but did visit the ground and thought it was absolutely fantastic. Small? Yes, but VERY tight and very steep... and terrace not only behind the goal, but also the along one whole side of the pitch!

The renovation is fantastic.

... and I said to friends; I'd love to see them take on Anderlecht there; I imagine it was rockin'.

How on Earth did you get a ticket?

12 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Ya lucky bugger.

I visited Mechelen the day after the Scotland match last year...

Didn't see a match, but did visit the ground and thought it was absolutely fantastic. Small? Yes, but VERY tight and very steep... and terrace not only behind the goal, but also the along one whole side of the pitch!

The renovation is fantastic.

... and I said to friends; I'd love to see them take on Anderlecht there; I imagine it was rockin'.

How on Earth did you get a ticket?

It’s a bit of a long story. We’ve got to know a group of Belgian lads who started following Town a bit (mainly I think because one of them knows Laurent DePoitre). They are a mix of Anderlecht & Liege fans.

So we planned the trip one night over a few beers & the Anderlecht lad did say it would be tough to get hold of tickets but managed to get a few in the Mechelen end. The seats were low down & behind the goal, so probably the last to sell. I actually think there were a fair few Anderlecht fans around us as it was strangely subdued when the goals went in! We were sat very close to the away fans though & it was very lively in there. Incidentally, I think they've got rid of the terracing as I know the ground has been renovated a lot in the last year, but it's still very tight & very noisy.

We were really lucky though on Sunday as the Liege lad signed us up for the Aalst branch of their supporters club & we got seats on the coach & tickets for the away end. All the Jupiler you could drink included in the price 😀.

It’s very tight security for away fans. Kind of what we’d call a bubble match. So you have to be on a coach, need your membership card plus photo ID to get in. The first time I've ever needed my passport to get into a match.

That was a very lively game & fantastic atmosphere especially in the Liege end with a 3-1 win. Plenty of pyrotechnics at both ends & (again) plenty of beer. The photos here are of the Genk supporters before KO & Liege celebrating the second goal.

IMG-1582191646038.jpg

IMG-1582191650761.jpg

Edited by Huddersfield

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

It’s a bit of a long story. We’ve got to know a group of Belgian lads who started following Town a bit (mainly I think because one of them knows Laurent DePoitre). They are a mix of Anderlecht & Liege fans.

So we planned the trip one night over a few beers & the Anderlecht lad did say it would be tough to get hold of tickets but managed to get a few in the Mechelen end. The seats were low down & behind the goal, so probably the last to sell. I actually think there were a fair few Anderlecht fans around us as it was strangely subdued when the goals went in! We were sat very close to the away fans though & it was very lively in there. Incidentally, I think they've got rid of the terracing as I know the ground has been renovated a lot in the last year, but it's still very tight & very noisy.

We were really lucky though on Sunday as the Liege lad signed us up for the Aalst branch of their supporters club & we got seats on the coach & tickets for the away end. All the Jupiler you could drink included in the price 😀.

It’s very tight security for away fans. Kind of what we’d call a bubble match. So you have to be on a coach, need your membership card plus photo ID to get in. The first time I've ever needed my passport to get into a match.

That was a very lively game & fantastic atmosphere especially in the Liege end with a 3-1 win. Plenty of pyrotechnics at both ends & (again) plenty of beer. The photos here are of the Genk supporters before KO & Liege celebrating the second goal.

Fantastic stuff.

Similar to your Mechelen-Anderlecht match) I was lucky enough to witness Leuven's demolition of Club Brugge in 2012 (the same week Scotland played the Belgians). 

A match that had everything......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhxIDNfcq9U

4 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

IMG-1582191646038.jpg

IMG-1582191650761.jpg

Anderlecht have had a dreadful season, sitting mid table. They've not quite recovered from losing a home game to us a few years ago.

I went to belgium in my early 20's for a techno festival and on the last day went to see Anderlecht play Lyon in a champs league qualifier and they got cuffed 3-1. A tremendous old stadium though, a real gem.

See several Serie A fixtures, and some lower Italian league games, were caped today after cases of the Corona Virus were confirmed in some Italian regions. Worrying times. Pretty much impossible to stop this spreading and we could see other sporting events affected going forward. The Continent wide Euros in the summer must be a concern too. 

3 hours ago, morrie21 said:

See several Serie A fixtures, and some lower Italian league games, were caped today after cases of the Corona Virus were confirmed in some Italian regions. Worrying times. Pretty much impossible to stop this spreading and we could see other sporting events affected going forward. The Continent wide Euros in the summer must be a concern too. 

Aw don't,  just had a horrible thought we qualify and they have to cancel the competition. 

15 hours ago, Shaundy said:

German top division is the largest in the world. The happenings today at Hoffenheim v Bayern were notable. 
At the crux is the club ownership thing . 

Self-made Billionaire buys his home town club who he represented at youth level and chucks money at them. Fans of club who’ve won the league for the last seven years not happy, doesn’t take a genius to work out why