World Football Thread.... - Page 16 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Football Thread....

2 hours ago, Grumpyauldgit said:

I was 4 year old when I started watching them, and that was only because my uncle John stayed there, and he bought me a Liverpool top for my birthday.

It's funny how these twists of fate can make or break us. For a while, my glory hunter second team was Celtic (the early 1970s) but I bumped into a lad on holiday in Colwyn Bay & adopted his team as my second team & got landed with Huddersfield & East Fife as the only two teams I ever take any real interest in. Now if only it had been some young lad from Barcelona, I'd at least occasionally have had something to smile about down the years.

From a Scottish perspective, an all English European Cup final (and, quite probably, an all-English UEFA Cup/European Cup-Winners' Cup Legacy Cup final) will increase the numbers of EPL fanboys who watch PREMIASHIP! games in pubs, never go to actual games and scorn people who watch diddy Scottish teams.

Meanwhile our game, run by idiots and dominated by the gruesome twosome, is going nowhere.

If there's a beam of light, remember the current Champions (and some other teams) League set up was prompted by the likes of Aberdeen duffing Real Madrid in a final, and Dundee United biffing Gary Lineker's Barcelona home and away on the way to a UEFA final defeat by, er, Gothenburg. Couldn't have teams from diddy countries robbing the TV and sponsoring companies of revenue, so let's make it more difficult for them...

Now that there is the prospect of four English teams in the two finals, maybe it's time for another pauchle...

5 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Quite ironic that Liverpool fans were lapping up having the worlds most expensive goalie and (possibly) defender, are now moaning about ticket prices and hotels being so high. 

This is what happens when money doesn’t seem to be an issue to people running the game. 

Fuck em, if they don’t like it, don’t go, that’ll show them, but they will and keep the price rising. 

You do realise that UEFA don't set hotel prices yeah?

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

You do realise that UEFA don't set hotel prices yeah?

You’re joking? I thought they organised the whole shooting match 🙄

Even you can see the obvious link I’m getting at though, extraordinary cash being paid out for football means extraordinary cash being spent by the punter. 

English football love counting how much money it spends, so shouldn’t be a problem. 

As I said, fuck em. 

4 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

From a Scottish perspective, an all English European Cup final (and, quite probably, an all-English UEFA Cup/European Cup-Winners' Cup Legacy Cup final) will increase the numbers of EPL fanboys who watch PREMIASHIP! games in pubs, never go to actual games and scorn people who watch diddy Scottish teams.

Meanwhile our game, run by idiots and dominated by the gruesome twosome, is going nowhere.

If there's a beam of light, remember the current Champions (and some other teams) League set up was prompted by the likes of Aberdeen duffing Real Madrid in a final, and Dundee United biffing Gary Lineker's Barcelona home and away on the way to a UEFA final defeat by, er, Gothenburg. Couldn't have teams from diddy countries robbing the TV and sponsoring companies of revenue, so let's make it more difficult for them...

Now that there is the prospect of four English teams in the two finals, maybe it's time for another pauchle...

Hardly "dominated by the gruesome twosome". One of them has never won a bolt in their entire existence.

1 hour ago, Farcity said:

Hardly "dominated by the gruesome twosome". One of them has never won a bolt in their entire existence.

I mean they run the game, between them, together, as partners, their interests being the same. You deluded Old Firm fans can maintain all the hate you want, the Old Firm (it still exists, or your half of it wouldn't be so obsessed with trying to argue it doesn't) act together to prevent positive change in Scottish football.

Just now, KirkieRobRoy said:

I mean they run the game, between them, together, as partners, their interests being the same. You deluded Old Firm fans can maintain all the hate you want, the Old Firm (it still exists, or your half of it wouldn't be so obsessed with trying to argue it doesn't) act together to prevent positive change in Scottish football.

I ain't no Celtic fan if that's what you are suggesting. I feel absolutely barkitt at the mere thought of being one. 

1 minute ago, Farcity said:

I ain't no Celtic fan if that's what you are suggesting. I feel absolutely barkitt at the mere thought of being one. 

My apologies. The 'No Old Firm any more, that lot have nae history' line is often a sign of an Old Firm (Celtic) fan.

I do accept that Sevco FC were born in 2012 but it's convenient to lump them together with the defunct cheaty outfit.

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Easyjet flights from Edinburgh to Madrid that weekend are currently £1500 return :shocked: 

3 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

Was looking at trivago earlier you should see the price of some the hotels there mucho dinero 

Had seen something earlier on Twitter and easyJet had responded with some sort of explanation about how they work their prices, but under normal circumstances, even the last seat on a flight from anywhere in uk to anywhere in Spain is surely about £200 tops??

On 5/8/2019 at 9:09 PM, dandydunn said:

Not really, since it’s only the second time a European trophy has left Spain since 2013/14 season.

Anyway, how’s it working out so far?

So far its its a cracker, Spurs are in the Champions league final 😉 we'll probably lose it. We're Spurs but the journey has been immense 

On 5/8/2019 at 11:45 PM, RDFH64 said:

Aye but there's hardly any guffy players or managers in any of the top team's, I look forward to the day sky goes tits up & english football goes bust. 

There's enough. You may not have noticed but England got to the semi finals of the world cup and to the finals of the nations league. granted we still won sweet fa but things aren't looking too shabby. Unfortunately i dont think the money will dry up anytime soon, it may have peaked but theres enough interest to keep things going. Scottish football needs a major shake up but you need major change at the top but you probably already know that ! 

35 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

There’s a story on Facebook that Chelsea and Arsenal are getting 6,000 tickets each. 

From a 68,000 seater stadium. 

add that to this new idea https://www.apnews.com/541b87ec4de94b8aa8cad950cb054845

thats not a competition, its a cash machine for already super rich clubs. 

7 minutes ago, Nobby said:

So far its its a cracker, Spurs are in the Champions league final 😉 we'll probably lose it. We're Spurs but the journey has been immense 

That took longer than I expected. 

Had to eat my hat there 😂

We are definitely heading to a European elite league for all the big money sides.

I’ve said for ages there would be a move to put Champions league games on at weekends and push domestic football to midweek. The only thing that might stop this would be if TV audiences are better (more lucrative for sponsors) midweek.

The EPL would presumably push against it, as they do have a relatively competitive league for now, and they can generate revenue on their own and some of their big clubs would presumably be locked out?

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

There’s a story on Facebook that Chelsea and Arsenal are getting 6,000 tickets each. 

From a 68,000 seater stadium. 

Did we not get something like 5000 tickets for the opening game of the world cup, and that was an 80000 seater stadium?? Fans are an afterthought these days.

20 hours ago, dandydunn said:

You’re joking? I thought they organised the whole shooting match 🙄

Even you can see the obvious link I’m getting at though, extraordinary cash being paid out for football means extraordinary cash being spent by the punter. 

English football love counting how much money it spends, so shouldn’t be a problem. 

As I said, fuck em. 

No, to be honest I can't. Hotels work on supply and demand. Whether that's 80,000 punters turning up in Madrid for the Champ League final or an Oasis reunion concert or the World Domino's Championship. If folks have to stay over and there is a limit on hotel numbers then prices will increase. They would do that whether it was £3 to get into the final or £300.

The ticket prices for the final itself are another matter and entirely UEFA's call/fault.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:29 AM, Huddersfield said:

It's funny how these twists of fate can make or break us. For a while, my glory hunter second team was Celtic (the early 1970s) but I bumped into a lad on holiday in Colwyn Bay & adopted his team as my second team & got landed with Huddersfield & East Fife as the only two teams I ever take any real interest in. Now if only it had been some young lad from Barcelona, I'd at least occasionally have had something to smile about down the years.

That wasn't around 75/76 by any chance? I was there a couple of summers - Colwyn Bay, Rhos-on-Sea. If it was me then I apologise!

47 minutes ago, daviebee said:

That wasn't around 75/76 by any chance? I was there a couple of summers - Colwyn Bay, Rhos-on-Sea. If it was me then I apologise!

It would have been somewhere around that time. I forget exactly. I met the same lad there in consecutive years as we stayed in the same b&b. From (fading) memory, he was called Kevin.