World Football Thread.... - Page 15 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Football Thread....

What a sad day for football.  This Ajax team have bucked the money trend of CL football with a stylish brand of football.  And what happens the spurs spend 300 million on wages and play Oxford Utd boot it up to Lorente and hope for dumb luck.  Well I guess they got it, but football lost out tonight.

Now a final between two teams who were last champions when???  Such a bad advert for the European game, the less you play football the more likely you are to win.

56 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Hopefully Arsenal and Chelsea do the job tomorrow an all London final would be something else 

I think you have clicked on the wrong forum.  English lovers.com is over there

We have possibly the worst ever team to reach the CL final tonight.  It used to take great teams to reach this level. Shame for football

13 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

What a sad day for football.  This Ajax team have bucked the money trend of CL football with a stylish brand of football.  And what happens the spurs spend 300 million on wages and play Oxford Utd boot it up to Lorente and hope for dumb luck.  Well I guess they got it, but football lost out tonight.

Now a final between two teams who were last champions when???  Such a bad advert for the European game, the less you play football the more likely you are to win.

Not sure on totals but doubt Spurs spend 100 million a year.

Edited by shaggycoo

13 hours ago, Nobby said:

lets hope so. could also be an all English Europa cup final. Would the TAMB then agree, "its the best league in the world":rollsmile:

Aye but there's hardly any guffy players or managers in any of the top team's, I look forward to the day sky goes tits up & english football goes bust. 

34 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

Not sure on totals but doubt Spurs spend 100 million a year.

Yeah you are right, Im surprised how low it is.....127million.

What is all this guff in the papers and from MrBlarney then about Scottish teams being unable to compete??

Celtics wage bill was 60mill last year.  I know its half of spurs but the difference isn't that much.  They have been losing to teams in Europe with lower wage bills under blarney.

If you think Aberdeen is about 10mil, that's 6times less!!

It's weird that they call it the Champions League. Maybe something that reflects the fact that teams who haven't been champions in decades can win it would be better. I don't know...maybe just call it the European Cup or something.

19 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

2 cracking semi finals. Pleasure to watch. Not surprised by some of the comments moaning about money, shouldn't be in the final, blah, blah, blah. Get over it, it's how it is, modern day sport, not just football.

Nobody id doubting the entertainment value of the last two nights, what some of us are mentioning is the corrupt nature of the tournament.

Which sports are you referring to when you says its how modern sport is? Even if you do come up with an example it doesn;t justify the CL being an engineered tournament where sporting integrity means nothing

7 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Yeah you are right, Im surprised how low it is.....127million.

What is all this guff in the papers and from MrBlarney then about Scottish teams being unable to compete??

Celtics wage bill was 60mill last year.  I know its half of spurs but the difference isn't that much.  They have been losing to teams in Europe with lower wage bills under blarney.

If you think Aberdeen is about 10mil, that's 6times less!!

Ajax wage bill was the same as celtic last year however Ajax did spend a lot more on transfer fee's and they arguably have the luxury of playing in a better league to attract a better quality of player. 

27 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

It's weird that they call it the Champions League. Maybe something that reflects the fact that teams who haven't been champions in decades can win it would be better. I don't know...maybe just call it the European Cup or something.

Agree with this. Maybe the European Premier League?

33 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

UEFA and the rich elite clubs have more or less created the European super league they wanted but they've left enough space for the odd token team like ajax to get in and do well now and again.  I would have loved to see Ajax win this and create a force to challenge the elite but I have a feeling their young team is about to be ripped apart by the bigger clubs.

EDIT - the same could happen to spurs team unless they pay their players more, their rivals totally outspend them when it comes to wages and they haven't bought a player in more than a year, I could be wrong with the last part. 

For this reason I really hope spurs win it

Edited by vanderark14

Absolutely tremendous couple of ties. Still not a fan of the Champs League format and miss the days of the ‘proper’ European Cup but thats another conversation.

Any neutral that didn’t enjoy these games, I suggest football is not for you 😃  Only downside is an all EPL final, nothing against Liverpool or Spurs but its a bit run of the mill for anyone in Scotland and England surely ? Can’t help thinking Liverpool v Ajax would have been a belter

Anyway, credit to both teams for ridiculous comebacks. Got to hand it to Klopp and Pochettino. 👍 Couple of likeable guys IMO and top notch managers  

On the one hand, I think it was 'ever thus' in football, it's easy to get teary-eyed about the past, but Herbert Chapman only achieved what he did on the 1920s after a life ban for financial irregularities (cheating by making illegal payments, basically) was overturned. Real Madrid only became what they are thanks to Fascist money & Italian football in general likewise only turned into the force it was (still is) due to it being picked up on & invested in heavily by Mussolini to 'make a statement' about Italian power & masculinity.

Arguably, the one potential football superpower that tried to develop the game through (sort of anyway) market forces was the USA, & that clearly failed. In the 1920s, huge crowds used to watch games involving touring European clubs & a lot of teams were boosted by migrating top-class Jewish players escaping anti-Semitism from places like Hungary, Austria, etc.

That's obviously simplistic, but money has been used to buy success for a very long time.

However, we have definitely gone into some sort of overdrive with it all. Apologies if this doesn't render too well (it's a long post), but there's a brilliant read from Andy Holt, chairman of Accrington Stanley, arguing that the superpowers have largely made it impossible to achieve anything sustainable as a football club without jeopardising that club's future:

https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/1125673633496608768

25 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Absolutely tremendous couple of ties. Still not a fan of the Champs League format and miss the days of the ‘proper’ European Cup but thats another conversation.

Any neutral that didn’t enjoy these games, I suggest football is not for you 😃  Only downside is an all EPL final, nothing against Liverpool or Spurs but its a bit run of the mill for anyone in Scotland and England surely ? Can’t help thinking Liverpool v Ajax would have been a belter

Anyway, credit to both teams for ridiculous comebacks. Got to hand it to Klopp and Pochettino. 👍 Couple of likeable guys IMO and top notch managers  

You can argue about the morals/money of the CL all you want but its unlikely to change and there isn't a lot that any of us can do to try and change it. 

However anyone who thinks this years tourney has been "boring" and same old same old needs to really take a look at themselves. Aside from the drama of the two second legs, you have had City v Spurs second leg and Ajax playing quite stunning attacking football away in Turin and Madrid too. Some great football and drama. 

I would rather have had a Liverpool v Ajax final too, loved the way Ajax played this season but end of the day they couldn't hold out and Spurs just about deserved it.

Folk whine about the champions league...these two finalists have 87 years of non league winning between them but the format is no different to our own league.....it’s all about self preservation for the “elite” clubs in both. 

That said we all moan about our league too.

Edited by macy37

I will agree with most people, that the old European Cup format was far better than the current set up, just due to the fact that it was only the national champions that took part, and not 2nd, 3rd or 4th place teams as well, but saying that, I think this years tournament has been really good, and both semis where amazing to watch.

The final could be great or just turn into another EPL game (Which I think it will), and will cause utter carnage in my house, as my wife has supported Tottingham taxi driving scum fecks (Have you ever met a taxi driver from cockney land who don't support spurs), for more years than I care to remember, and I have watched Liverpool since the early 70's, so one of us will have to move into a tent for 6 months after this game, because I know one of us will make life absolutely unbearable for the other.

Quite ironic that Liverpool fans were lapping up having the worlds most expensive goalie and (possibly) defender, are now moaning about ticket prices and hotels being so high. 

This is what happens when money doesn’t seem to be an issue to people running the game. 

Fuck em, if they don’t like it, don’t go, that’ll show them, but they will and keep the price rising. 

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Quite ironic that Liverpool fans were lapping up having the worlds most expensive goalie and (possibly) defender, are now moaning about ticket prices and hotels being so high. 

This is what happens when money doesn’t seem to be an issue to people running the game. 

Fuck em, if they don’t like it, don’t go, that’ll show them, but they will and keep the price rising. 

I agree with you, and I had to laugh at some clown on 5 live this morning, demanding the game get moved from Madrid to Wembley, because it was 2 English teams in the final, and therefore cheaper for the fans to get to.

My answer to that is very simple, feck aff, you knew the rules before the tournament started, if you don't like them, don't enter.

1 minute ago, Huddersfield said:

Looking on the bright side, as an early 1970s glory hunter, at least you dodged the bullet that is Leeds United 😉

I was 4 year old when I started watching them, and that was only because my uncle John stayed there, and he bought me a Liverpool top for my birthday.

44 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Love it.😂

I read that Liverpool get 16500 tix Approx, I am assuming Spurs will get the same. 16.500 so 33.000 for fans in a 68000 seater stadium.

so 35.000 corporate 'fans' at the Final,..,.,

2 minutes ago, stocky said:

I read that Liverpool get 16500 tix Approx, I am assuming Spurs will get the same. 16.500 so 33.000 for fans in a 68000 seater stadium.

so 35.000 corporate 'fans' at the Final,..,.,

Not to defend them, but I think they have a public sale too. Probably another 16,500 available to neutrals.

Most CL games are very dull however these two semis were exceptional, great entertainment. Would have preferred Ajax in the final for a few reasons but mostly because I reckon it would have been a better game. What a hat trick, unbelievable, can't imagine how bad that must feel to lose it like that the very last that after being 3 up on aggregate. Seemed like a lot of Ajax players fell to the ground the second it went in. Absolute kick in the balls stuff. Thought Pochettino was a wee bit over the top though, did not realize he was so emotional. Final is bound to be an edgy non event now.

10 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

I think you have clicked on the wrong forum.  English lovers.com is over there

We have possibly the worst ever team to reach the CL final tonight.  It used to take great teams to reach this level. Shame for football

non ta football? Mcglashans out in force it would appear