World Football Thread.... - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Football Thread....

On 4/18/2019 at 12:22 AM, McTeeko said:

Teams don’t provoke VAR reviews. It comes from above by the head referee. It’s no like a time-out or something. Even if that DID eventually come into play you limit it to 2/3 challenges per game like in tennis. 

Funny that coz I thought I was seeing players run up to the ref making a square TV shape with their fingers much like the invisible cards that they like to brandish at the refs. Of course that never works either does it. Silly me.

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

Funny that coz I thought I was seeing players run up to the ref making a square TV shape with their fingers much like the invisible cards that they like to brandish at the refs. Of course that never works either does it. Silly me.

Nailed it with your last sentence 👍🏼

6 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Not really the head of Referees was making the same point 8 weeks ago.

Players who appeal for VAR to be used must be booked, warns Uefa's head of refereeing

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/02/06/players-appeal-var-used-must-booked-warns-uefas-head-refereeing/

They are already legislating for the thing thplinth describes and you dismiss

empiricism beats witticism in debate every time.

Edited by phart

25 minutes ago, phart said:

Players who appeal for VAR to be used must be booked, warns Uefa's head of refereeing

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/02/06/players-appeal-var-used-must-booked-warns-uefas-head-refereeing/

That wasn’t his initial point though. He said teams will provoke VAR reviews in order to slow the game down and break up play if they were enduring an onslaught. Players can make the tv screen thing with their hands all they want - unless the head referee in the stands concludes that VAR is to be reviewed over a certain incident then players asking for reviews is a complete waste of time. 

27 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

That wasn’t his initial point though. He said teams will provoke VAR reviews in order to slow the game down and break up play if they were enduring an onslaught. Players can make the tv screen thing with their hands all they want - unless the head referee in the stands concludes that VAR is to be reviewed over a certain incident then players asking for reviews is a complete waste of time. 

The reason they will ban it is to stop outside influence, which is why they also stopped replays in stadium at the same time (also in the link i provided)

Now we can argue what influence/provokation is possible. However the head of referees judgement is its enough to ban the behaviour and the also ban replays.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:20 PM, thplinth said:

I feel it undermines the whole ethos of football. It is a dynamic game and ref mistakes (assuming they are always honest ones) were part of the dynamism. VAR is turning real football into American football. Ponderous and full of wank breaks (which suddenly will become advert breaks you see) and the decision-making is no better over anything that was not obvious to begin with. How is it Rugby is able to do this so well while Football is so shit.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:40 PM, thplinth said:

No. I want football to be a breathless torment like it is now. Not a game for big fat yank cunts who can suck on an O2 tank between 'plays'.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:58 PM, thplinth said:

If your team was physically fucked and being run ragged... just provoke a VAR review. 1-5 minutes of rest every time.

How long before you think professional football players are playing this game?

8 hours ago, McTeeko said:

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

If you are going to be a smart arse about at least be honest about it. My point was pretty clear and that was not even close to my initial one.

I also stand by the fact that players will provoke the ref(s) into VAR reviews by acting all outraged just like they do to provoke cards. Fans will be also do the same.

It will be exploited and it will slow the game down and make it shit. And the worst part is it will not remove the controversial decisions as we have already seen by some of the shit decisions made under full VAR scrutiny.

(I should have been more of a cunt in my first reply obviously, sarcasm did not carry it seems.) 

Edited by thplinth

2 hours ago, phart said:

Eh?! I dont think you know what your point is quite honestly. 

38 minutes ago, thplinth said:

If you are going to be a smart arse about at least be honest about it. My point was pretty clear and that was not even close to my initial one.

I also stand by the fact that players will provoke the ref(s) into VAR reviews by acting all outraged just like they do to provoke cards. Fans will be also do the same.

It will be exploited and it will slow the game down and make it shit. And the worst part is it will not remove the controversial decisions as we have already seen by some of the shit decisions made under full VAR scrutiny.

(I should have been more of a cunt in my first reply obviously, sarcasm did not carry it seems.) 

It may not remove the controversy fully but it will get rid of a lot of it. 

Admittedly whilst the refs get used to using it, it will slow the game down but as they get better and actually use it properly I don't think it will make any difference. 

So much time is already wasted on the arsehole players surrounding the ref and moaning. 

The rules on the players waving the invisible yellow card are there but not enforced. If they were the practice would die out. This will apply to the "square window" sign too. 

32 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I take all you points, however the bold part I have to argue with as it’s a totally different scenario. 

When players are brandishing fake yellow cards it’s because the ref has already stopped play due to a foul being committed. The players are then looking for further punishment by looking for the booking/red card. 

In a VAR situation ie. penalty shout/handball that the ref doesn’t award the play rages on therefore there is no time to surround the ref making VAR signs as the other side may be breaking. 

You don’t like VAR, I think it works. Despite the shitey wait after a contentious decision I feel getting the right decision is more important. 

22 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

I take all you points, however the bold part I have to argue with as it’s a totally different scenario. 

When players are brandishing fake yellow cards it’s because the ref has already stopped play due to a foul being committed. The players are then looking for further punishment by looking for the booking/red card. 

In a VAR situation ie. penalty shout/handball that the ref doesn’t award the play rages on therefore there is no time to surround the ref making VAR signs as the other side may be breaking. 

You don’t like VAR, I think it works. Despite the shitey wait after a contentious decision I feel getting the right decision is more important. 

We are closer than you think.

But I think this could be one of the small changes that really helps or really adversely changes the game. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

It is a massive change to the game and you are rushing it in. What chance we can ever go back if you are wrong? And if you are wrong and the game is changed and we cant go back? You've fucked it right?

Edited by thplinth

Aye fair do’s. Someone said to me recently VAR is like every Apple update. At first you’re like “FFS this is shite, why change it?!?” but after a few months it just becomes the norm and actually IS better. We’ll just need to wait and see.....

Aye fair do’s. Someone said to me recently VAR is like every Apple update. At first you’re like “FFS this is shite, why change it?!?” but after a few months it just becomes the norm and actually IS better. We’ll just need to wait and see.....

It is more like squeezing all the (football) toothpaste out the tube hoping it helps... and if it doesn't?

Unlike a software re-install you will not be able to go back in time put the toothpaste back in the tube. This is why folk are urging caution.

You could make football shit here...and never be able to take it back.

Well with no VAR the wrong team would be looking forward to a CL semi-final so that's got to be a good thing.

As for player behaviour, I'd like to see these fkin imbeciles booked on the spot for yakking in the ref's ear when he's either trying to listen on his earpiece or is on his way over to do the review.

And while we're on about the players, do they still have that rule in rugby where any dissent at a penalty means the kick is moved 10 yards further forward? That'd be a good rule to introduce into fitba when a free kick is awarded. Too many of these players nowadays are spoilt, overpaid, prima donna pansies.