World Football Thread.... - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Football Thread....

55 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think they gave the appearance of doing nothing, and there were several examples of them being 2 yards from an incident and doing just that.

I always felt they were wrongly positioned too, they always went the same side of the pitch as the linesman, rather than going to the other side and (in my eyes) giving better coverage.

Meekings against Celtic would be a fairly high profile example.

Just now, dan cake said:

Noticed Ranieri expected to take over at Roma, sacked 3 times since Leicester won the league. A clown that got lucky?

Not entirely sure you can get lucky over the course of a 38 game season. Unless you mean he's now lucky to still be getting high profile jobs.

38 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Noticed Ranieri expected to take over at Roma, sacked 3 times since Leicester won the league. A clown that got lucky?

He's managed teams that most managers could only dream of. He can organise a defence  (not Fulham's admittedly) which is what Roma need short term but I'd tend to agree he's been fortunate in management to say the least.

1 hour ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Not entirely sure you can get lucky over the course of a 38 game season. Unless you mean he's now lucky to still be getting high profile jobs.

Exactly. He won the EPL with the least fancied team ever.

With that on his CV he is guaranteed offers of employment for as long as he wants them.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Just watched the Newcastle v Everton highlights. How bad a keeper is Jordan Pickford?

The penalty he gave away was terrible and he should have been sent off for the challenge. 

He's not even the best shotstopper. 

If he's the best England have, they've got no chance of winning anything. 

23 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Just watched the Newcastle v Everton highlights. How bad a keeper is Jordan Pickford?

The penalty he gave away was terrible and he should have been sent off for the challenge. 

He's not even the best shotstopper. 

If he's the best England have, they've got no chance of winning anything. 

Saved a penalty in a shoot out in the World Cup, thats enough for the English media to elevate him to wankfest status, until they eventually realise he is shite of course. It will just be ages after everyone else until the penny  drops 👍

Edited by Jim Beem

9 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Saved a penalty in a shoot out in the World Cup, thats enough for the English media to elevate him to wankfest status, until they eventually realise he is shite of course. It will just be ages after everyone else until the penny  drops 👍

I've never seen another top flight keeper who pushes the ball straight back out into the box as often. 

Decent shot stopper but just doesn't do the right thing when saving them. 

Positionally he's hopeless. I think Scotland have about 6 or 7 keepers that are better. 

7 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I've never seen another top flight keeper who pushes the ball straight back out into the box as often. 

Positionally he's hopeless. I think Scotland have about 6 or 7 keepers that are better. 

England have at least 3-4 keepers that are better than him. Including Joe Hart who has been cast aside like an old scud mag. (And is also a bit shit). 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Craig Samson was the master of this in his time at Motherwell!

Was costing us a goal a game.

Sure Sunderland will be able to produce more similar keepers with him as coach!

:lol:

Edited by sbcmfc

2 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

He’s not good and somehow gets a fine wage despite him not being good. Some of his distribution makes Gordon look terrific and as you say his constant parrying into the central parts of the field is incredible.

7 minutes ago, macy37 said:

He’s not good and somehow gets a fine wage despite him not being good. Some of his distribution makes Gordon look terrific and as you say his constant parrying into the central parts of the field is incredible.

He had a good 6 months two seasons ago. That's is.

Butland, Pope, McCarthy and Heaton are all better.

Gordon Banks probably better at the moment.

4 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

England have at least 3-4 keepers that are better than him. Including Joe Hart who has been cast aside like an old scud mag. (And is also a bit shit). 

I think all of the better keepers are at Burnley. 

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Craig Samson was the master of this in his time at Motherwell!

Was costing us a goal a game.

Sure Sunderland will be able to produce more similar keepers with him as coach!

:lol:

I hadn't realised that was where Samson was. 😂

I vividly remember your pain being expressed on a regular basis on these very boards. 

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Porto or Ajax and even Man U wouldn’t be in the quarters though. 

Man City could do that to a lot of teams. Especially when they have to chase the game against them which schalke would’ve had to do from the point they lost the first goal, which was just before HT.

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

60 odd goals in the knockout stage of the CL for Ronaldo. Prick or not that’s phenomenal numbers and if wins it again might be the best ever. 

He’s some player. You could’ve scripted that last night. He’s got everything, his header for the 1st was excellent! Almost always seems to turn up for the big games.

Taking  bridesmaids Juve to the champions league would be a great achievement and would be another tick in his box in the Ronaldo v Messi argument.