World Football Thread.... - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Football Thread....

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I don’t think his arm was all that extended, not in a make yourself bigger kind of way, looking like a natural position as you jump. They’ll need to clarify the rules.

Absolutely.

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Was a shocking decision for the penalty, Utd got away with it but PSG only have themselves to blame for not being very direct and just knocking it about all game.

Agree with all of that. Even in the 97th minute they were content to pass it about with no urgency. It was ludicrous.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Thats a bit dramatic is it not?

Nah, he's right. It's a farce. Every game with it has long, extended stoppages and there's no improvement in decisions. 
You can't even celebrate a goal now because there'll likely be a 3 minute review before it's confirmed. 

It's a lot of pish, as i've always said it would be. 

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Nah, he's right. It's a farce. Every game with it has long, extended stoppages and there's no improvement in decisions. 
You can't even celebrate a goal now because there'll likely be a 3 minute review before it's confirmed. 

Aye, watched Real Madrid v Ajax and saw the climax of Man Utd and Porto games.

Thats 3 games in 2 nights and all took 3 minutes plus to reach a decision.

Felt the Ajax goal in particular took far too long, it’s like they wanted to find a reason not to give it.

The Porto penalty was arguably slightly harsh, as was the Man Utd one. Both were of the “seen them given” variety rather than stonewallers.

36 minutes ago, Parklife said:

ah well, I don't go as far as saying its a stain on football, bigotry wins that accolade.

No improvement on decisions? thats a sweeping statement considering I've heard on radio and TV that it has improved things overall but when there are mistake they get magnified even more because the doubters want it to fail

29 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

ah well, I don't go as far as saying its a stain on football, bigotry wins that accolade.

No improvement on decisions? thats a sweeping statement considering I've heard on radio and TV that it has improved things overall but when there are mistake they get magnified even more because the doubters want it to fail

Nope, it's a statement that's backed up by watching football from a league that has VAR in every game. We get 4 minute reviews and penalties such as the one last night and Casemiro's one for Real recently given. 

Every goal spends minutes being reviewed, regardless of whether they even look contentious. It's absolutely shite and is completely taking the joy out of scoring a goal. 

If we want to re-referee games then we should have full time video referees doing the whole game. We can then have every game lasting >2 hours and UEFA saying how great VAR is because the decisions are always right.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Thats a bit dramatic is it not?

Maybe, but it's added nothing so far other than delay, lack of transparency and done nothing to 'end the debate'  we were promised it would. It's also become the centre of attention, so instead of the focus being on the referee, it's just been shifted to VAR and that's the focus of discussion after every game.

Edited by Mox

3 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Disagree. The arm being out does make him bigger for the ball to get past him. Can understand the decision based on that. 

I don't think it's a penalty and you do, that in it's self tells you there's something wrong with the rule.

Handball and offside rules need to be changed and updated to reflect the modern game. Using VAR for them in their current guise is useless, until they are fixed then this VAR controversy is going to run and run.

The problem is that as soon as the referee is asked to review a decision, then he is already under pressure to disallow the goal or award a penalty (as the case may be). See the penalty in the World Cup Final that was eventually awarded against Perisic after literally seventeen replays. Any contact in that incident was marginal and certainly unintended.

There ought to be a limit on the amount of times an incident can be replayed before a decision must be taken one way or the other. If it's still inconclusive after say three views then the original decision should stand.

23 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

There ought to be a limit on the amount of times an incident can be replayed before a decision must be taken one way or the other. If it's still inconclusive after say three views then the original decision should stand.

Yes, it should be matters of fact or decisions that are clear and obvious error. (Is that not the wording?)

Not for everything and anything.

As you say, if the ref is still undecided after 3 views, it’s not a clear and obvious error and the original decision stands.

6 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Yes, it should be matters of fact or decisions that are clear and obvious error. (Is that not the wording?)

As you say, if the ref is still undecided after 3 views, it’s not a clear and obvious error and the original decision stands.

Some improvements will have to be made but I still think VAR is a good idea in principle. I would rather they came to the right decision instead of the wrong one

48 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Nope, it's a statement that's backed up by watching football from a league that has VAR in every game. We get 4 minute reviews and penalties such as the one last night and Casemiro's one for Real recently given. 

Every goal spends minutes being reviewed, regardless of whether they even look contentious. It's absolutely shite and is completely taking the joy out of scoring a goal. 

If we want to re-referee games then we should have full time video referees doing the whole game. We can then have every game lasting >2 hours and UEFA saying how great VAR is because the decisions are always right.

I assume you didn;t mean that part in bold? You mean every goal that gets reviewed takes minutes being reviewed.

The joy of scoring a goal is important but so is arriving at the right decision. I'm aware this will not always be the case but with improvements this can work better

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

That is how it works in the NFL. They make a ruling on the field then if they review there has to be clear evidence to overturn otherwise 'the ruling on the field stands'. Mind you they can take even longer to decide that but in the stop-start world of the NFL that is hardly a drama...

38 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

That is how it works in the NFL. They make a ruling on the field then if they review there has to be clear evidence to overturn otherwise 'the ruling on the field stands'. Mind you they can take even longer to decide that but in the stop-start world of the NFL that is hardly a drama...

Yup. The NFL has in-built stoppages, so having a break for a minute isn't a big deal. 

Football, on the other hand, is a game of flow & momentum. Where stoppages can severely impact the way the game is going. 

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yup. The NFL has in-built stoppages, so having a break for a minute isn't a big deal. 

Football, on the other hand, is a game of flow & momentum. Where stoppages can severely impact the way the game is going. 

I'd imagine wrongly awarded or denied goals probably impact it a tad more. I absolutely know where you're coming from, and Ajax's goal vs Madrid a few days gone by is a prime example of it, however I would rather the correct decision* was reached above all else.

*Very aware also that some shocking decisions have been made using VAR. Casemiro's dive vs Levante is unforgiveable

6 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

I'd imagine wrongly awarded or denied goals probably impact it a tad more.

Indeed. Maybe if folk didn't moronically whinge about 5th and 6th officials so much, we wouldn't be racing towards this VAR obsessed football dystopia :lol: 

45 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Indeed. Maybe if folk didn't moronically whinge about 5th and 6th officials so much, we wouldn't be racing towards this VAR obsessed football dystopia :lol: 

I think they gave the appearance of doing nothing, and there were several examples of them being 2 yards from an incident and doing just that.

I always felt they were wrongly positioned too, they always went the same side of the pitch as the linesman, rather than going to the other side and (in my eyes) giving better coverage.

7 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think they gave the appearance of doing nothing, and there were several examples of them being 2 yards from an incident and doing just that.

Was there? There was examples of the 5th or 6th officials mic link to the referee being listened to and they gave the referee no help? Can you show me where i can find information on this? Sounds astonishing.

Or do you mean "they didn't run over the ref to speak to him or wave a flag about, so dafties think they weren't speaking to the ref"? 

7 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I always felt they were wrongly positioned too, they always went the same side of the pitch as the linesman, rather than going to the other side and (in my eyes) giving better coverage.

I'd have had them on the other side too, however that's not what the referees felt helped them the most. I'm prepared to accept that fully qualified and experienced referees know more about the intricacies of refereeing than me and take their word for it. 

24 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Was there? There was examples of the 5th or 6th officials mic link to the referee being listened to and they gave the referee no help? Can you show me where i can find information on this? Sounds astonishing.

Or do you mean "they didn't run over the ref to speak to him or wave a flag about, so dafties think they weren't speaking to the ref"? 

I'd have had them on the other side too, however that's not what the referees felt helped them the most. I'm prepared to accept that fully qualified and experienced referees know more about the intricacies of refereeing than me and take their word for it. 

No evidence to support the claim they “appeared” to be doing nothing, but regularly had incidents where you looked and couldn’t believe they didn’t intervene. Perhaps they did and were over ruled?

Yeah, I asked a ref and he gave a reason for it, I still didn’t buy it, but I’ve never reffed in my life.