Cardiff City's new signing Emiliano Sala - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cardiff City's new signing Emiliano Sala

On 4/28/2019 at 4:31 PM, DaveyDenoon said:

No.

There remains some doubt as to whether Cardiff City are liable for the fee or not.

Once that is settled, then the fee will either be paid according to the agreed terms (3 annual £5m payments) or not, as the case may be.

What's the doubt? I'd have thought that once the contract has been signed that would be it. 

On 5/3/2019 at 11:26 PM, RenfrewBlue said:

What's the doubt? I'd have thought that once the contract has been signed that would be it. 

It’s to do with the player’s registration possibly not being completed as there apparently was something not quite right in terms of the contract not being 100% final and correct. I’m not familiar with the full detail but it’s along those lines.

Basically Cardiff believes that Sala may have technically still been a Nantes player and the club’s insurers are also not willing at this point to accept he was a City player and won’t pay out until it is resolved.

11 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

It’s to do with the player’s registration possibly not being completed as there apparently was something not quite right in terms of the contract not being 100% final and correct. I’m not familiar with the full detail but it’s along those lines.

Basically Cardiff believes that Sala may have technically still been a Nantes player and the club’s insurers are also not willing at this point to accept he was a City player and won’t pay out until it is resolved.

So everybody is trying to avoid paying. Typical arsehole behavior when there's money involved. 

I bet Nantes insurance company are attempting to avoid paying too. 

Hopefully the lads family have had their payout by now. It won't replace what they've lost but it might make their life less difficult. 

10 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

So everybody is trying to avoid paying. Typical arsehole behavior when there's money involved. 

I bet Nantes insurance company are attempting to avoid paying too. 

Hopefully the lads family have had their payout by now. It won't replace what they've lost but it might make their life less difficult. 

At the end of the day, it will be an insurance company that pays out. Which effectively means that all of us who us insurance companies (which is most of us) will be paying for this bill. That's how insurance works. The insurance companies only ever lose out temporarily (unless they go bust). If it's Cardiff's insurance company that has to pay out, it would be close to the fee that they had agreed to pay. If it's the Nante's insurance company that pay out will be considerably less and subject to much negotiation. Possibly decided in court. Of course, it's possible that both clubs use the same insurance company. Either way it will be ordinary folk who end up paying.

I bet both teams are under insured, why the dancing around whp the player was registered to

+ the transfer fee may have no relationship to the value that is placed on the players registration - unless they cover it by having life cover 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Cardiff been ordered to pay 1st instalment of £5.3million to Nantes, but have said they will appeal to the CAS.

They are saying he hadn’t signed the final contract when he died.

It’s a lot of money, so can have a small amount of sympathy for them. Makes them look really bad though.

Surely there is some sort of insurance for this kind of thing? I don’t think Nantes and FIFA are blameless either. Quietly reaching a compromise between the 3 of them like £5 million hit each would surely be more dignified than dragging this through the court.

12 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

This whole shit show is completely immoral. Cardiff are a fucking disgrace and I hope they fold. 

Apparently they have tried to reach out to Nantes to reach a compromise, but they are effectively not returning their calls.

Cardiff look terrible in this, but not convinced Nantes are blameless either.

Although perhaps they have no need to enter dialogue...

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

What have Nantes done wrong?

They don’t appear to be engaging with Cardiff at all.

I presume Nantes feel it was a done deal and they are due the full amount, so no need to enter into dialogue about it.

I’m not saying Nantes have done anything wrong necessarily, but i’m guessing the Cardiff point of view is that Nantes are completely washing their hands of any responsibility/liability and happy to leave Cardiff out the full £15 million.

Just trying to see the other side of the argument. Ethically Cardiff look terrible, legally they seem to believe they are in the right or at least have a case, in which case Nantes refusal to engage over a compromise starts to look a bit wrong.

It’s a pretty horrible story all round.

17 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

They don’t appear to be engaging with Cardiff at all.

I presume Nantes feel it was a done deal and they are due the full amount, so no need to enter into dialogue about it.

I’m not saying Nantes have done anything wrong necessarily, but i’m guessing the Cardiff point of view is that Nantes are completely washing their hands of any responsibility/liability and happy to leave Cardiff out the full £15 million.

Just trying to see the other side of the argument. Ethically Cardiff look terrible, legally they seem to believe they are in the right or at least have a case, in which case Nantes refusal to engage over a compromise starts to look a bit wrong.

It’s a pretty horrible story all round.

I don't see why Nantes would engage. Cardiff are trying to duck out of paying their share and naturally Nantes are telling them to GTF. Why should they lose money out of this sadly tragic incident? FIFA seem to agree and, as corrupt as they are, I'm ok with that.

27 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

I don't see why Nantes would engage. Cardiff are trying to duck out of paying their share and naturally Nantes are telling them to GTF. Why should they lose money out of this sadly tragic incident? FIFA seem to agree and, as corrupt as they are, I'm ok with that.

I’m not trying to defend Cardiff, just trying to see their side.

Do you not think there should be any room for compromise? Cardiff just pay £15million for a player that never made it to Cardiff.

54 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I’m not trying to defend Cardiff, just trying to see their side.

Do you not think there should be any room for compromise? Cardiff just pay £15million for a player that never made it to Cardiff.

I just don't see why Nantes should be punished for this. If Tierney crashed his motor driving down to London after signing on the dotted line I wouldn't feel like Celtic should be writing off a percentage of the transfer fee.

If we were perhaps talking about financial goodwill towards his family then sure, I'd be more inclined to think Nantes could help out. I just don't think Nantes owe Cardiff ocht.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

9 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

I just don't see why Nantes should be punished for this. If Tierney crashed his motor driving down to London after signing on the dotted line I wouldn't feel like Celtic should be writing off a percentage of the transfer fee.

If we were perhaps talking about financial goodwill towards his family then sure, I'd be more inclined to think Nantes could help out. I just don't think Nantes owe Cardiff ocht.

It may be semantics on Cardiff’s part, but apparently he hadn’t signed “the revised contract” so by the looks of it, it was all agreed etc. but the contract had been tweaked so hadn't actually been signed...

Cardiff seem to be playing the goodwill to the family part up, to try and shame Nantes into coming back to the table.

Bit of a crude analogy, but if you buy something on eBay, and it gets lost in the post, the seller will normally refund you and seek compensation from the courier (Willie McKay?).

39 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

It may be semantics on Cardiff’s part, but apparently he hadn’t signed “the revised contract” so by the looks of it, it was all agreed etc. but the contract had been tweaked so hadn't actually been signed...

Suppose that part will be for the football governing bodies to decide. It looks to me as if Cardiff are just trying to weasel out of paying the fee.

Take the emotion of the fact that the poor guy died out of things:

If a deal was agreed in principle for a player to move, but the final contract hadn't been signed, and on the way to the office to sign it the player falls down the stairs and suffers a career-ending injury, is the buying club still liable to pay the fee?

Assuming of course the "final contract" definitely hasn't been signed and isn't a smokescreen for Cardiff to avoid paying.

Edited by wee-toon-red

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

Assuming of course the "final contract" definitely hasn't been signed and isn't a smokescreen for Cardiff to avoid paying.

The wording of what’s coming from Cardiff suggests something was signed, just not the final contract with Ts dotted and Is crossed.

Obviously they are only going to put out their version of the story.

27 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

The wording of what’s coming from Cardiff suggests something was signed, just not the final contract with Ts dotted and Is crossed.

Obviously they are only going to put out their version of the story.

If it was the registration of the player that was signed then I'd imagine they are up shit creek without a paddle.