Cold weather gear - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cold weather gear

Heading up to the far north of Japan in a couple of weeks...I can expect temperatures down to about -15c to -20c.

What kind of clothing (specific items) should I be looking at buying? I've never been anywhere as cold as this and I really don't own that much gear for extreme cold.

Cheers

5 hours ago, derekfaejapan said:

Heading up to the far north of Japan in a couple of weeks...I can expect temperatures down to about -15c to -20c.

What kind of clothing (specific items) should I be looking at buying? I've never been anywhere as cold as this and I really don't own that much gear for extreme cold.

Cheers

It's is -30 in Ottawa just now. Most important thing is to stay dry. I would recommend anything you wear water proof. Thermal socks, balaclava, a toque as they say in Canada. 🤤good warm boots. Trick is also not to put to many layers on as you will sweat and then you will get cold. Would not be a bad idea to get those heat packets you can put in your winter gloves. Drink lots of warm fluids, tea, soup, ect. Hope this helps pal. Good luck. 

14 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

It's is -30 in Ottawa just now. Most important thing is to stay dry. I would recommend anything you wear water proof. Thermal socks, balaclava, a toque as they say in Canada. 🤤good warm boots. Trick is also not to put to many layers on as you will sweat and then you will get cold. Would not be a bad idea to get those heat packets you can put in your winter gloves. Drink lots of warm fluids, tea, soup, ect. Hope this helps pal. Good luck. 

Thanks, mate. Great advice. I’ve heard that before about not having a lot of layers for the reason you mentioned. I’ve got a good pair of hiking boots that I’ve only ever used when Tokyo gets a heavy snowfall and they’ve always worked well. I’ll definitely be buying some thermals this week. Got an unused hot water bottle that I’ll have in my bag too. Good luck with winter in Ottawa...-30c sounds brutal as fvck.

1 minute ago, derekfaejapan said:

Thanks, mate. Great advice. I’ve heard that before about not having a lot of layers for the reason you mentioned. I’ve got a good pair of hiking boots that I’ve only ever used when Tokyo gets a heavy snowfall and they’ve always worked well. I’ll definitely be buying some thermals this week. Got an unused hot water bottle that I’ll have in my bag too. Good luck with winter in Ottawa...-30c sounds brutal as fvck.

No bother pal. Aye, -40 again today. I am wrapped up like the abominable snowman. 🤣

3 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

No joke mate. I am working round the clock in burst pipes. Here is the thing, it is warming up to 0 degrees tomorrow. Fuckin weather this year is insane. I blame global warming. 🙂

Has it been colder than usual in Canada this winter? I've a pal from Northern Ireland who now lives in Ajax and he's been mentioning the cold a lot on Facebook...Opposite here in Japan, one of the hottest summers last year on record and now a really mild winter (Apart from Hokkaido where I'm off to as it's always fuckin' baltic there in winter).

-20C the now at me. Three things. Plenty of lip balm as the dry cold makes your moosh balloon up. Lash sunscreen or Vaseline on your cheeks and nose. Shave close. You don’t want stubble in this cold. It goes crispy instantly and feels baws. 

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

-20C the now at me. Three things. Plenty of lip balm as the dry cold makes your moosh balloon up. Lash sunscreen or Vaseline on your cheeks and nose. Shave close. You don’t want stubble in this cold. It goes crispy instantly and feels baws. 

In your case, "lipstick", nae "lipbalm". 🤣

I can remember -20C once here in Erskine. Sent the kids out to build a snowman. They came in after 5 minutes greetin.  Heartless bassa I am :blush:

That was nothing to this time last year. Couldn't drive out our street for 2 weeks. I was reasonably happy not to have a heart attack shovelling the snow out. Yeah, I know it wasn't Canadian proportions, but a bit much for us rain sookers.  The supermarket couldn't get anything in... Disaster.   Folks were searching for babymilk compound to put in their cornflakes.   I never saw bread for a week.   You'd think it was 29th of March or something.

Jesus, DerekfaeJapan, Ormond.  This cauld weather is fair bringing out all the dearly departed!  Just need Rossy, Reeky and Wolfy for a full house!!

*ETA - I realise they way I've typed that above makes it look like Jesus has also popped up on this thread.  Just to clarify it was a turn of phrase and he hasn't.  He's presumably too busy guarding the ice wall.

Edited by Fairbairn

On 1/22/2019 at 6:04 PM, Ormond said:

Is it not double that now? folk being told not to breathe too deeply or talk to each other, think I heard it was -48 

Wool socks are the absolute best for keeping your feet warm. Normal socks underneath and wool socks over the top. Sorry about the space heater post I thought this was another thread.

Edited by Rouf

On 2/2/2019 at 2:24 AM, The White Ceelo said:

Is it not double that now? folk being told not to breathe too deeply or talk to each other, think I heard it was -48 

Americans dont have the intelligence to breathe and talk at the same time, so that sounds like nonsense. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 10:26 PM, derekfaejapan said:

Cheers

Just stick one of they Japanese masks on and you will be in the pink

On 1/21/2019 at 8:43 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I'd patch the hand warmers theyre a pain in the arse. Loved when it was -20 or so in Whistler, beautiful dry cold. Drink lots of beer

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

I'd patch the hand warmers theyre a pain in the arse. Loved when it was -20 or so in Whistler, beautiful dry cold. Drink lots of beer

I have never actually used the hand warmers mate, my boys do. Whistler, never been to BC, have been to Banff though. Heard Whistler is beautiful, -20 not to bad.. 👍

18 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I have never actually used the hand warmers mate, my boys do. Whistler, never been to BC, have been to Banff though. Heard Whistler is beautiful, -20 not to bad.. 👍

Aye fair doos. Whistler and BC in general is stunning. Great skiing. Lived there 2 years. -20 was enough, quite enjoyed it haha, don't envy the -30 etc.