Movies 2019 - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The Irishman was ok. Although sitting here I am struggling to think of any memorable scenes. 

The scene with Tony Pro turning up late to the meeting with Hoffa in Florida (I think) was excellent.  As was the scene between the 2 of them in Prison where they were trying to get each other to apologise.  Also a couple of clever nods like De Niro's character meeting David Ferrie who was played by Pesci in JFK.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I thought it was brilliant, best film of last year 

Aye I cannot relate to that at all. On multiple levels...

I kept thinking as it progressed if Batman turned up for a scene I'd probably burst out laughing so incongruous would it feel. Be like if he turned up for a serious scene during an episode of Eastenders or something.

Cant think of single character I liked. Found his relationship entirely implausible. His victims were made to look evil and him the oppressed... So does this make Batman the cunt now? Hard to see where they are going with this one...

6 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

You didn't like the characters or you didn't like how they were portrayed? 

Thinking about that... yes on both counts. Horrible characters, horribly acted (not poorly acted just nasty). It was also very 'Hollywood' script writing... For example he went mental when his welfare program was cut (of course). Someone else gives him the gun (a pro gun guy obviously, who then grasses him) he does not go buy it of course so no responsibility for him. Wayne Industries (Batman's firm) is now a predatory evil company staffed by gang rapists. The mother, oh my... the bath scene... yeah, Murray the astonishingly wanky 'talk show host' (De Niro of course)... Everyone around this utter bawbag (the Joker) is a far bigger bawbag, even his murder victims,  making his dystopic slide into hell look like the ascent to sanity. I think all that early criticism of this film was actually really correct. It is a horrible little film in what it tries to make look normal. In this movie Joker is the victim and the world the perpetrator. So it is cool when he start killing folk. That is the message. Other than that is was great entertainment.

edit: and of course the joker gang is transformed into a SJW group / movement / ANTIFA... boak.

Edited by thplinth

lol. Ormond fellah I am in a zen like state here. I just reread the plot on wikipedia and gave my synopsis as I went. (But by God it really was shit!)

However that said they are doing to Batman what they did to Star Wars. It has created a disturbance in the force.

Was going to watch The Irishman, and damnit, I'm sure I will soon...

thplinthy, your comments have not put me - personally - off the film, as your argument contains so many comic book references.   That's a turn off.   OK, millions of people like that stuff, but I think most such films are...  frankly a load of shite.

e.g. Someone has a miserable existence, but has a superpower, so... meh.   Is this how us plebs are meant to fantasize?

Me?   I'd prefer to shoot somebody in the face or stab them in the neck with a biro.   Oh no, wait... 😖

The one comic book film I did like had the ferret, twig, green burd, and red funny muscle dope;  sort of like my favourite Commando comic.  Oh, but wasted by a human with shite musical taste, wtf?   (OK, different age group, sorry.)

... ok, apologies to the marvelous religion, and you thplinth, but that was me being honest from my point of view to the superhero genre.   Not for me, for the most part, as I've said.   Mind you Mrs Grim has a thing going for Thor for some reason 🙄

18 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Was going to watch The Irishman, and damnit, I'm sure I will soon...

thplinthy, your comments have not put me - personally - off the film, as your argument contains so many comic book references.   That's a turn off.   OK, millions of people like that stuff, but I think most such films are...  frankly a load of shite.

e.g. Someone has a miserable existence, but has a superpower, so... meh.   Is this how us plebs are meant to fantasize?

Me?   I'd prefer to shoot somebody in the face or stab them in the neck with a biro.   Oh no, wait... 😖

The one comic book film I did like had the ferret, twig, green burd, and red funny muscle dope;  sort of like my favourite Commando comic.  Oh, but wasted by a human with shite musical taste, wtf?   (OK, different age group, sorry.)

... ok, apologies to the marvelous religion, and you thplinth, but that was me being honest from my point of view to the superhero genre.   Not for me, for the most part, as I've said.   Mind you Mrs Grim has a thing going for Thor for some reason 🙄

Ok, Pistonbroke. Log intae yer ain account please. 😂

1917 - would give it 7.5/10, maybe 8. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but was enjoyable enough and I felt the time passed quickly. Was a wee bit cliche’d in parts and I could have done with a motion sickness tablet but other than that it was ok. 

The Irishman - slower than a very slow thing .  Thought it was very well acted but far too long. 

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

1917, I could have done with a motion sickness tablet

I felt dizzy for the first 15 minutes till my brain told my eyes what was going on, thought it was a bit meh to be honest 6/10.

Uncut Gem is a great film, Adam Sandler is excellent as are all the characters. Honourable mention to  Julia Fox who plays his bit on the side, skanky and hot the perfect combination 

9 minutes ago, dan cake said:

I felt dizzy for the first 15 minutes till my brain told my eyes what was going on, thought it was a bit meh to be honest 6/10.

Uncut Gem is a great film, Adam Sandler is excellent as are all the characters. Honourable mention to  Julia Fox who plays his bit on the side, skanky and hot the perfect combination 

A brain ! That would be my problem then 😁

Tbh based on the first half of the film a 6 would be fair. I did think it got better though hence the improved rating. 

I thought 1917 was quite a good film. Was worried it would be sentimental and a flag waver but was pleasantly surprised. 

Two great WW1 films to watch are "Westfront 1918" (1930) about German soldiers pushed to breaking point as the war draws to a close. And also "The Wooden Crosses" (1932) four years of brutal trench warfare seen through French soldiers eyes. Very graphic in terms of violence for the time. Both films also strongly challenge the myth of it all being a glorious and heroic. The actors had also actually fought in the conflict. Check them out.

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Watched Parasite last night, enjoyable but no idea why it got the Oscar. Can only assume they wanted to be “inclusive” after nobody from the far end of the ph scale or women were up for a top prize

I was supposed to be seeing that on Thursday but cant manage. Might just wait till it comes onto Netflix or Amazon Prime.  

On 2/18/2020 at 7:11 PM, dan cake said:

Watched Parasite last night, enjoyable but no idea why it got the Oscar. Can only assume they wanted to be “inclusive” after nobody from the far end of the ph scale or women were up for a top prize

I thought Parasite was excellent and the best of the Oscar nominated films I've seen (with the possible exception of OUTIH).

I know I'm late with this but finally got round to watching Free Solo.  Alex Honnold is clearly off his nut.  I think my sphincter has just about unclenched after watching the last 20 minutes.  Some of the most amazing and yet uncomfortable footage I've ever watched.