Movies 2019 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Seen Stan and Ollie last week as well, thought it was pretty decent and was a lovely looking picture.

Watched Fyre: The greatest festival that never happened last night on Netflix, a documentary essentially about a festival scam that impacts lots of stupid, spoilt rich kids, its excellent.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:16 AM, Mox said:

Seen Stan and Ollie last week as well, thought it was pretty decent and was a lovely looking picture.

Watched Fyre: The greatest festival that never happened last night on Netflix, a documentary essentially about a festival scam that impacts lots of stupid, spoilt rich kids, its excellent.

Yeah Fyre was good. Fucking idiots 😂😂

Only seen 2 so far this year.  Stan and Ollie.  As others have said it's really good with 2 excellent performances by Steve Coogan and especially John C. Reilly.  It's quite refreshing to go and see a movie that is clearly aimed at adults due to the subject matter but has absolutely no sex, swearing or violence (unless you count Ollie kicking Stan up the arse!!).

Birdbox - Thriller with Sandra Bullock and John Malkovic.  Similar premise to A Quiet Place but flipped a bit in that people start violently committing suicide after seeing unknown objects/creatures.  The only way the can survive is to completely block their sight in the outside world.  As I say, similar premise to AQP however it's actually adapted from a book that was out in 2013.  I quiet enjoyed it and it does handle the tension of the characters not being able to see for large parts of the film quite well.

Cannot wait to see the film about Stan and Ollie, they were the best, unbeatable. 

Alex McLeish is an extra in it btw. Seriously https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/first-look-at-alex-mcleishs-cameo-in-jon-s-bairds-new-film-stan-ollie1/

A quick fact many won't know, Stan Laurel's mother (Madge Jefferson) is buried in an unmarked grave in Cathcart Cemetery.

Not 2019 but I watched Roma about 6 weeks ago. I'm not a big film guy and saw it on Netflix, thought it sounded interesting, so recommended to the Mrs we watch it. 

What a film. Absolutely loved it. I now see it's nominated for 10 oscars and I'm not one bit surprised. Brilliant. 

Agree about Roma - it is a great film.  I spoiled it for myself slightly by watching it in three parts due to interruptions.  That's the problem with Netflix.

I really enjoyed Mary Queen of Scots, great costumes and performances from the two leads who played Mary and Elizabeth.  Not sure I was convinced by Martin Compson as the hard-man Bothwell (her third husband and head of her army).  Also it was a bit odd seeing them ride through Glencoe and straight up to the Palace of Holyrood in Edinburgh, but these are minor quibbles as it was a brilliant movie and much better than Outlaw King in my opinion.

Birdbox is crap, but worth it for John Malcovich being very John Malcovich.  Its scary how some nutters are copying the film by doing stuff blindfolded, including driving!

33 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Not 2019 but I watched Roma about 6 weeks ago. I'm not a big film guy and saw it on Netflix, thought it sounded interesting, so recommended to the Mrs we watch it. 

What a film. Absolutely loved it. I now see it's nominated for 10 oscars and I'm not one bit surprised. Brilliant. 

Agreed. A tremendous film.

55 minutes ago, Potted Heid said:

Agree about Roma - it is a great film.  I spoiled it for myself slightly by watching it in three parts due to interruptions.  That's the problem with Netflix.

I really enjoyed Mary Queen of Scots, great costumes and performances from the two leads who played Mary and Elizabeth.  Not sure I was convinced by Martin Compson as the hard-man Bothwell (her third husband and head of her army).  Also it was a bit odd seeing them ride through Glencoe and straight up to the Palace of Holyrood in Edinburgh, but these are minor quibbles as it was a brilliant movie and much better than Outlaw King in my opinion.

Birdbox is crap, but worth it for John Malcovich being very John Malcovich.  Its scary how some nutters are copying the film by doing stuff blindfolded, including driving!

I read the the MQOS film has her meeting with Elizabeth? A factual inaccuracy to rival Braveheart. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I read the the MQOS film has her meeting with Elizabeth? A factual inaccuracy to rival Braveheart. 

Everything we know about Mary is mostly written by English Protestants and allies of Elizabeth

I find it hard to believe in the circumstances that they never met

Elizabeth meeting Mary gives Mary validation - we cant have that can we ?

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Everything we know about Mary is mostly written by English Protestants and allies of Elizabeth

I find it hard to believe in the circumstances that they never met

Elizabeth meeting Mary gives Mary validation - we cant have that can we ?

She has plenty validation. 

Are you asserting that she did meet Elizabeth? Would be interested to read more on this alternative history  

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Are you asserting that she did meet Elizabeth? Would be interested to read more on this alternative history  

It's not really alternative

According to Janet Dickinson of Oxford University, any in-person encounter between the Scottish and English queens would’ve raised the question of precedence, forcing Elizabeth to declare whether Mary was her heir or not.

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

Yes. It is played as a clandestine meeting I suppose to add a sense of drama that might have been hard to convey through exchanges of letters. It’s still a very good film in my opinion, but if you like your history ‘pure’ with no added poetic licence then stuff like this may rankle. There was no sense of her perhaps having a sexual or romantic relationship with Rizzio either. 

9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's not really alternative

According to Janet Dickinson of Oxford University, any in-person encounter between the Scottish and English queens would’ve raised the question of precedence, forcing Elizabeth to declare whether Mary was her heir or not.

It definitely is alternative. As it doesn't fit in with anything i have read on MQOS. 

8 hours ago, Potted Heid said:

Yes. It is played as a clandestine meeting I suppose to add a sense of drama that might have been hard to convey through exchanges of letters. It’s still a very good film in my opinion, but if you like your history ‘pure’ with no added poetic licence then stuff like this may rankle. There was no sense of her perhaps having a sexual or romantic relationship with Rizzio either. 

Yeah, i'm definitely going to watch it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Green Book. What a great film. Don Shirley, a black pianist, and his racist white driver and bouncer, drive across the country to various gigs. The film subtly shows the impact they have on each other. Should win the Oscar, but probably won't. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 7:18 PM, Stapes said:

Green Book. What a great film. Don Shirley, a black pianist, and his racist white driver and bouncer, drive across the country to various gigs. The film subtly shows the impact they have on each other. Should win the Oscar, but probably won't. 

I just stumbled across this movie by chance, the wife had a conversation with me and I never heard one word because I was completely tuned in .

Thoroughly deserved oscars. Ive not seen bohemian rhapsody, but Viggo played one of the most convincing goomba's seen since the likes of frank vincent.

• 2 weeks later...

Stan and Ollie was a really pleasant wee film. Both Coogan and Reilly were excellent. Well worth a watch. 

The Dirt is brilliant. I'd never heard of it until I saw it listed on Netflix, and it's probably the best film they've produced. It's the story of Motley Crue. I knew very little about them, and don't particularly like the music I have heard. But that didn't detract from what is an excellent film. 

On 3/23/2019 at 8:40 AM, Stapes said:

Stan and Ollie was a really pleasant wee film. Both Coogan and Reilly were excellent. Well worth a watch. 

The Dirt is brilliant. I'd never heard of it until I saw it listed on Netflix, and it's probably the best film they've produced. It's the story of Motley Crue. I knew very little about them, and don't particularly like the music I have heard. But that didn't detract from what is an excellent film. 

The film was good, but not a patch on the book.

• 3 weeks later...