Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Don't think anyone's started this thread yet. 

Last Saturday: Stan and Ollie - loved it, great film

Yesterday: The Favourite - didn't get the hype, bit bored, bit of a waste of money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen Stan and Ollie last week as well, thought it was pretty decent and was a lovely looking picture.

Watched Fyre: The greatest festival that never happened last night on Netflix, a documentary essentially about a festival scam that impacts lots of stupid, spoilt rich kids, its excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to see Glass (sequel to Unbreakable and Split) at the weekend. James McAvoy superb again but I'd say you need to be pretty familiar with the both movies before watching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 10:16 AM, Mox said:

Seen Stan and Ollie last week as well, thought it was pretty decent and was a lovely looking picture.

Watched Fyre: The greatest festival that never happened last night on Netflix, a documentary essentially about a festival scam that impacts lots of stupid, spoilt rich kids, its excellent.

Yeah Fyre was good. Fucking idiots 😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only seen 2 so far this year.  Stan and Ollie.  As others have said it's really good with 2 excellent performances by Steve Coogan and especially John C. Reilly.  It's quite refreshing to go and see a movie that is clearly aimed at adults due to the subject matter but has absolutely no sex, swearing or violence (unless you count Ollie kicking Stan up the arse!!).

Birdbox - Thriller with Sandra Bullock and John Malkovic.  Similar premise to A Quiet Place but flipped a bit in that people start violently committing suicide after seeing unknown objects/creatures.  The only way the can survive is to completely block their sight in the outside world.  As I say, similar premise to AQP however it's actually adapted from a book that was out in 2013.  I quiet enjoyed it and it does handle the tension of the characters not being able to see for large parts of the film quite well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cannot wait to see the film about Stan and Ollie, they were the best, unbeatable. 

Alex McLeish is an extra in it btw. Seriously https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/first-look-at-alex-mcleishs-cameo-in-jon-s-bairds-new-film-stan-ollie1/

A quick fact many won't know, Stan Laurel's mother (Madge Jefferson) is buried in an unmarked grave in Cathcart Cemetery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not 2019 but I watched Roma about 6 weeks ago. I'm not a big film guy and saw it on Netflix, thought it sounded interesting, so recommended to the Mrs we watch it. 

What a film. Absolutely loved it. I now see it's nominated for 10 oscars and I'm not one bit surprised. Brilliant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree about Roma - it is a great film.  I spoiled it for myself slightly by watching it in three parts due to interruptions.  That's the problem with Netflix.

I really enjoyed Mary Queen of Scots, great costumes and performances from the two leads who played Mary and Elizabeth.  Not sure I was convinced by Martin Compson as the hard-man Bothwell (her third husband and head of her army).  Also it was a bit odd seeing them ride through Glencoe and straight up to the Palace of Holyrood in Edinburgh, but these are minor quibbles as it was a brilliant movie and much better than Outlaw King in my opinion.

Birdbox is crap, but worth it for John Malcovich being very John Malcovich.  Its scary how some nutters are copying the film by doing stuff blindfolded, including driving!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Not 2019 but I watched Roma about 6 weeks ago. I'm not a big film guy and saw it on Netflix, thought it sounded interesting, so recommended to the Mrs we watch it. 

What a film. Absolutely loved it. I now see it's nominated for 10 oscars and I'm not one bit surprised. Brilliant. 

Agreed. A tremendous film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Potted Heid said:

Agree about Roma - it is a great film.  I spoiled it for myself slightly by watching it in three parts due to interruptions.  That's the problem with Netflix.

I really enjoyed Mary Queen of Scots, great costumes and performances from the two leads who played Mary and Elizabeth.  Not sure I was convinced by Martin Compson as the hard-man Bothwell (her third husband and head of her army).  Also it was a bit odd seeing them ride through Glencoe and straight up to the Palace of Holyrood in Edinburgh, but these are minor quibbles as it was a brilliant movie and much better than Outlaw King in my opinion.

Birdbox is crap, but worth it for John Malcovich being very John Malcovich.  Its scary how some nutters are copying the film by doing stuff blindfolded, including driving!

I read the the MQOS film has her meeting with Elizabeth? A factual inaccuracy to rival Braveheart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I read the the MQOS film has her meeting with Elizabeth? A factual inaccuracy to rival Braveheart. 

Everything we know about Mary is mostly written by English Protestants and allies of Elizabeth

I find it hard to believe in the circumstances that they never met

Elizabeth meeting Mary gives Mary validation - we cant have that can we ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Everything we know about Mary is mostly written by English Protestants and allies of Elizabeth

I find it hard to believe in the circumstances that they never met

Elizabeth meeting Mary gives Mary validation - we cant have that can we ?

She has plenty validation. 

Are you asserting that she did meet Elizabeth? Would be interested to read more on this alternative history  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parklife said:

 

Are you asserting that she did meet Elizabeth? Would be interested to read more on this alternative history  

 

It's not really alternative

According to Janet Dickinson of Oxford University, any in-person encounter between the Scottish and English queens would’ve raised the question of precedence, forcing Elizabeth to declare whether Mary was her heir or not.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Parklife said:

I read the the MQOS film has her meeting with Elizabeth? A factual inaccuracy to rival Braveheart. 

Yes. It is played as a clandestine meeting I suppose to add a sense of drama that might have been hard to convey through exchanges of letters. It’s still a very good film in my opinion, but if you like your history ‘pure’ with no added poetic licence then stuff like this may rankle. There was no sense of her perhaps having a sexual or romantic relationship with Rizzio either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's not really alternative

According to Janet Dickinson of Oxford University, any in-person encounter between the Scottish and English queens would’ve raised the question of precedence, forcing Elizabeth to declare whether Mary was her heir or not.

 

 

It definitely is alternative. As it doesn't fit in with anything i have read on MQOS. 

8 hours ago, Potted Heid said:

Yes. It is played as a clandestine meeting I suppose to add a sense of drama that might have been hard to convey through exchanges of letters. It’s still a very good film in my opinion, but if you like your history ‘pure’ with no added poetic licence then stuff like this may rankle. There was no sense of her perhaps having a sexual or romantic relationship with Rizzio either. 

Yeah, i'm definitely going to watch it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vanishing is quite good. Peter Mullan & Gerard Butler as the Flannan Isles lighthouse keepers involved in the 1903 mystery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched The House That Jack Built, with Matt Dillon as a serial killer. A bit odd, but a decent film. Well worth a watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×