Jack Harper - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jack Harper

SkyBlueScot

Heard the interview on 5 Live tonight - he came across very well although admittedly that has very little to do with how good a player he’ll turn out to be.

having never heard him speak before I was pleasantly surprised that he’s got a thick Scottish accent.

As a Scot with an English accent, it really pisses me off to know Jack Harper grew up in Spain and somehow wangled a Scottish accent...

Oh, and I hope the wee bugger goes on to play for Scotland many, many, times and bags a ton of goals in the process.

Would love to see him get a full cap soon.

Only slight concern is Malaga changed formation last week after being beaten the week before to 1 up front and Harper was dropped. They then went on to win. They have also just signed a Ukrainian international striker, but hey if he is going to progress and become the player we hope he will be he will have to overcome those obstacles. By all accounts he is thought very highly of by staff and the fans at Malaga so hopefully his good season continues. He actually looks like he would fit in very well  to our system as well with Fraser and Forrest running of him. He has a fantastic touch and awareness and can pick a pass, could be a good option.

13 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

As a Scot with an English accent, it really pisses me off to know Jack Harper grew up in Spain and somehow wangled a Scottish accent...

Oh, and I hope the wee bugger goes on to play for Scotland many, many, times and bags a ton of goals in the process.

Would love to see him get a full cap soon.

if you ever hear his parents speak they are as broad a Scottish accent as you'll get haha

4 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Only slight concern is Malaga changed formation last week after being beaten the week before to 1 up front and Harper was dropped. They then went on to win. They have also just signed a Ukrainian international striker, but hey if he is going to progress and become the player we hope he will be he will have to overcome those obstacles. By all accounts he is thought very highly of by staff and the fans at Malaga so hopefully his good season continues. He actually looks like he would fit in very well  to our system as well with Fraser and Forrest running of him. He has a fantastic touch and awareness and can pick a pass, could be a good option.

Yevhen Seleznyov.... bit of a donkey and a lot of people in Ukrainian sports circles are shocked he even got this move (Malaga saying its a 6 month loan, while player saying he gets a guaranteed 2 year deal at the end of it).

Malaga seem to be really struggling for goals, while they are winning games, its by small margins, and their goals scored is well behind the teams above them in the league. 

22 hours ago, wanderer said:

Yevhen Seleznyov.... bit of a donkey and a lot of people in Ukrainian sports circles are shocked he even got this move (Malaga saying its a 6 month loan, while player saying he gets a guaranteed 2 year deal at the end of it).

Malaga seem to be really struggling for goals, while they are winning games, its by small margins, and their goals scored is well behind the teams above them in the league.

Ah well hopefully that is the case and Harper continues to get plenty of minutes under his belt. He must be on the cusp of a call up, if anything just due to the complete lack of depth and quality of strikers we have available. The boy does appear to be talented though

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

San Marino in March might be a good opportunity to give Jack Harper and maybe even Fraser Hornby a senior debut. Twenty or thirty minutes off the bench.

Maybe Harper but Hornby needs to play a senior match or twenty before we consider him. 

12 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Maybe Harper but Hornby needs to play a senior match or twenty before we consider him. 

Definitely. I'd say that Harper is definitely ahead of Hornby in the queue.

It would be nice if Hornby got a loan this month as he's 19 and he's never played a first team match in his career.

42 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Definitely. I'd say that Harper is definitely ahead of Hornby in the queue.

It would be nice if Hornby got a loan this month as he's 19 and he's never played a first team match in his career.

I agree with the sentiment, but just to be the fact police I think he has actually played one game in the Europa League.

Just now, mrniaboc said:

I agree with the sentiment, but just to be the fact police I think he has actually played one game in the Europa League.

Really? Serves me right for trusting wiki. ;)

I've seen him for our under 21s and he does seem like an upgrade on McBurnie, so it's baffling why no one has taken him on loan.

Would be really surprised if Harper is in the squad any time soon, as 3/4 goals in 15 odd games is hardly great form, when you consider McBurnie is on 9 over a similar amount of games, and he seems to be Ecks 3rd or 4th choice striker at the moment.

Imagine Eck will stick with Fletcher, McBurnie and Phillips as his core squad strikers, and have Johnny Russell here or there about's.

1 minute ago, wanderer said:

Would be really surprised if Harper is in the squad any time soon, as 3/4 goals in 15 odd games is hardly great form, when you consider McBurnie is on 9 over a similar amount of games, and he seems to be Ecks 3rd or 4th choice striker at the moment.

Imagine Eck will stick with Fletcher, McBurnie and Phillips as his core squad strikers, and have Johnny Russell here or there about's.

I'd rather go Fletch, McB and Paterson; Phillips doesn't seem to play striker for WBA.

41 minutes ago, wanderer said:

All you can say though is why pick guys 30-33 years old like Naismith & Fletcher when we have shown of late (finally) picking youngsters pays off 

If we’re playing a front three with Forrest and Fraser, then Fletcher is still first choice, with Naismith second. I think Hornby will be able to do the Fletcher job at some stage. It will be interesting to see how Harper develops and if he can be a central striker. Ryan Hardie is another who looks promising, although perhaps not someone who plays with his back to goal, like Fletcher and Naismith do. 

38 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If we’re playing a front three with Forrest and Fraser, then Fletcher is still first choice, with Naismith second. I think Hornby will be able to do the Fletcher job at some stage. It will be interesting to see how Harper develops and if he can be a central striker. Ryan Hardie is another who looks promising, although perhaps not someone who plays with his back to goal, like Fletcher and Naismith do. 

Big fan of Hardie