Childhood heroes - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The thing about Tam Burns was that he was so friendly, positive, forgiving, only interested in making friends rather than enemies, he had a great sense of humour and was a fantastic raconteur.

His wife told the story in a documentary Celtic produced of how during his final illness, at a hospital visit his chart got mixed up with someone elses and whilst the nurses sorted out all the papers he said to his wife "That was a close one - I might have ended up getting a boob job !"

With regard to football, he appreciated the effort the fans go to for the team and tried to get the players to understand that, he believed that football is all about entertainment and that teams should attack one another, and last but not least that young players must always be given a chance and the benefit of the doubt.

Oh, and he was a proud Scotsman too.

I'd imagine you'll have seen his interview after the 88 cup final when he says hello to a young kid in the hospital and tells him he'll be up to see him on the Monday. Class act.

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The thing about Tam Burns was that he was so friendly, positive, forgiving, only interested in making friends rather than enemies, he had a great sense of humour and was a fantastic raconteur.

His wife told the story in a documentary Celtic produced of how during his final illness, at a hospital visit his chart got mixed up with someone elses and whilst the nurses sorted out all the papers he said to his wife "That was a close one - I might have ended up getting a boob job !"

With regard to football, he appreciated the effort the fans go to for the team and tried to get the players to understand that, he believed that football is all about entertainment and that teams should attack one another, and last but not least that young players must always be given a chance and the benefit of the doubt.

Oh, and he was a proud Scotsman too.

Not to detract from Tommy Burns, as despite never properly meeting him myself, I’ve literally never heard a bad word said about the guy...

Just worth mentioning if anyone is interersted that Tommy Mclean seemed to be preaching a similar message in 1991, as seen in the BBC Alba documentary (still in iplayer- steelmen) about the Motherwell cup win.

To go back to Tommy Burns, I don’t think anyone would have begrudged him a trophy or two at Celtic, I don’t think they’ve had a likeable manager since...

12 hours ago, Parklife said:

Nah, they just tend to be populated by wanks who think stories like the above are funny. 

I see your point, but you’ve obviously never been to a good one? Most of the best “after dinner speakers” weren’t footballers or weren’t footballers of note.

John Gaghan puts on a show you wouldn’t believe.

The catholic/proddy nonsense depending on the audience is pretty poor lazy patter, but not everybody wants to book Andy Goram and Frank McAvennie.

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

To go back to Tommy Burns, I don’t think anyone would have begrudged him a trophy or two at Celtic, I don’t think they’ve had a likeable manager since...

He won the Scottish cup as Celtic manager in 1995

Edited by Scotland Ever More

9 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I see your point, but you’ve obviously never been to a good one? Most of the best “after dinner speakers” weren’t footballers or weren’t footballers of note.

John Gaghan puts on a show you wouldn’t believe.

The catholic/proddy nonsense depending on the audience is pretty poor lazy patter, but not everybody wants to book Andy Goram and Frank McAvennie.

Totally agree, It was a pretty sweeping statement 😂😂

Ive been to some really good ones, some not so good and some shite ones. Depends on the speakers and who is at your table obviously.  Have to say I do find the ex Old Firm players generally among the worst as they seem to feel obliged to talk about the same cliched Celtic/rangers shite regardless of where they are ( Arbroath for example) 

John Gahgan was good, comes across as a bit of a madman but entertaining. Dick Campbell is another lunatic but quite funny. There is  also a former sprinter whose name escapes me but had a brief spell at Hibs back in the day.  He is very good. There is loads of them out there guaranteeing a good night. In Parklifes slight defence, Ive seen MCAvennie and he is garbage. Cringeworthy in fact.  

Edited by Jim Beem

Footballers: Roberto Baggio (a true gentleman), Danny Blind, Tommy Burns, Billy Stark and Neil Lennon.

Musicians: Keith Moon, John Entwistle, Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton and Justin Currie. Hoping to bump into Roger Daltrey before he or I pop our clogs to complete the set.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:43 PM, Parklife said:

It's also about as funny as leprosy and would appeal to the kind of gimp who think sportsmans dinners are great. 

Little surprise that Frank McAvennie was spouting it. Horrible cunt.  

"Macca" tells a story at some of these gigs about how being called up for Scotland was "a pain in the arse" and the numerous lies he would tell to get out of internationals. Unfortunately quite a lot of the people he tells this story to react with a big round of applause :rolleyes:

He doesn't tell that story when he's on the radio as a pundit for the Scotland games. The cunt.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:34 PM, Flure said:

The Annoni story originated from Scots actor and Celtic season-ticket holder Alec Norton, who claimed it was a guy who sat two rows in front of him who shouted it.

He (Alec - don't know about the other guy) is very good company socially and is a down-to-earth type, not prone to porkie-telling.

Do you know any good leprosy jokes?

6 hours ago, macy37 said:

What a happy cunt you are. 

Exactly Macy.  I MC'd Willie Henderson and Tommy Gemmel one st Andrews night at a tartan army gathering.  Willie Henderson was fine.  But Tommy Gemmel I took to a wee bit more.  Heroes the pair of them.  You are wasting your time with parklife btw.  The wee cloud above his head when he hits the keyboard is never anything positive or happy.  Stand on pal  Ma Jura is close to the finish.

On 1/18/2019 at 2:37 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

What did you and other Hubbies think of the club's decision to sack Latapy for going oot on the pish with Dwight Yorke ?

Harsh but the right thing to do ? Or far too heavy handed ?

Mcleish told latapy his fitness wasn’t up to scratch and he wouldn’t be picked for the cup final if he didn’t work on it, he never. After being informed he wouldn’t be considered for a starting place he decided to go on the pish, ruined everything he ever done in a hibs shirt for me. 

On a side note Rolf Harris was my childhood hero, I’ve since reviewed that decision 

17 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Exactly Macy.  I MC'd Willie Henderson and Tommy Gemmel one st Andrews night at a tartan army gathering.  Willie Henderson was fine.  But Tommy Gemmel I took to a wee bit more.  Heroes the pair of them.  You are wasting your time with parklife btw.  The wee cloud above his head when he hits the keyboard is never anything positive or happy.  Stand on pal  Ma Jura is close to the finish.

You're a bit obsessed with me, aren't you? 

38 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

You are a good poster parkie, but lighten up man.  The league this season is great. 👍

I'm perfectly light. Doesn't mean i won't call you out for what you are on here when you randomly try to have sad wee pops at me though.

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'm perfectly light. Doesn't mean i won't call you out for what you are on here when you randomly try to have sad wee pops at me though.

Yes, I have a dig at you but only in a friendly way.  The board should be about that surely.  Not resorting to name calling etc.  We can all be out of order but good people on this board.  Glad it has survived despite ye 👍.  That was a light hearted pop btw.  You are an intelligent guy.  That's a compliment.  Have a good day Parklife.  I think on a football note it will be a good contest for 2nd between 3 teams.  Celtic are still too strong and will gel together.  Hope I am wrong though.

• 2 weeks later...