Childhood heroes - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just got a tear in my eye when listening to the BBC show from Beechwood Park - Big D, Derrick McDicken in the audience, and still talking and taking the pish out Chick Young. My other big Killie hero was Jim Stewart. Got to meet him as a wee boy when he gave me a medal at The Centre in Stewarton at the Stewarton Annick awards night one year. Never been so starstruck. Who did you manage to meet ?

Met a good few of the Gothenburg lot, regularly have a chat with Joe Harper and Craig Brown in the golf club after they have done their hospitality bits and they have all the time in the world for the bairn every time he sees them. 

Got a photo with Mani when we were in Nice n Sleazys before the roses gig. 

Met Sarah Jessica Parker in New York. 

Never met any of the thunder cats, that’s a big regret. 

When i was a very young boy and getting in to football (Late 60's/Early 70's) i got to meet Chelsea and Scotland player Charlie Cooke. His mum and dad stayed next door to my granny in Greenock. Didn't have a clue who he was at the time but when i got older i discovered that he was a big name player for Chelsea and Scotland. He became a hero of mine because his mum was always nice to me when i visited my granny.

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Favourite player of all time, Russell Latapy. I wonder how far he could have gone and what he could have achieved if he actually looked after himself!

Voted 33rd best player in the world by fellow professionals while he was at Hibs

What did you and other Hubbies think of the club's decision to sack Latapy for going oot on the pish with Dwight Yorke ?

Harsh but the right thing to do ? Or far too heavy handed ?

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

What did you and other Hubbies think of the club's decision to sack Latapy for going oot on the pish with Dwight Yorke ?

Harsh but the right thing to do ? Or far too heavy handed ?

A lot of people seem to think that he was out on the pish the night before a derby, that’s a myth, the story got published in one of the Sunday papers on the morning of a derby.

I was only wee at the time so can’t really remember the real finer details of the whole thing but I do seem to remember they were supposedly driving along Princes Street the wrong way with a car full of willing females. If that was really the case then now as an adult I’d say the sack was fair enough

I got a chat with Stevie Kirk “the white pele” a couple of years ago.

I’d tried to approach him after the 1991 cup final outside fir park, but I was only 9 years old and got lost in the crowd.

Lovely, down to earth guy.

Sieb Dijkstra sent me a happy birthday message on Facebook a few years ago.

:lol:

27 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I got a chat with Stevie Kirk “the white pele” a couple of years ago.

I’d tried to approach him after the 1991 cup final outside fir park, but I was only 9 years old and got lost in the crowd.

Lovely, down to earth guy.

I always remember reading a Rangers programme from years ago (as in mid 90s) and there was an interview with Stuart McCall.  He was asked the usual bland questions, toughest opponent, favourite away ground etc and I'm sure his answers were equally bland.  The reason it sticks out though is that there was a question along the lines of "do you get on with all players from opposing teams?" or "are there any players from opposing teams you don't like?" and his answer was either "everyone except Steve Kirk" or "Steve Kirk".  I remember at the time finding it really strange and even more so that there wasn't an explanation to clear it up!

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I hope he had his clothes on !

45 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I always remember reading a Rangers programme from years ago (as in mid 90s) and there was an interview with Stuart McCall.  He was asked the usual bland questions, toughest opponent, favourite away ground etc and I'm sure his answers were equally bland.  The reason it sticks out though is that there was a question along the lines of "do you get on with all players from opposing teams?" or "are there any players from opposing teams you don't like?" and his answer was either "everyone except Steve Kirk" or "Steve Kirk".  I remember at the time finding it really strange and even more so that there wasn't an explanation to clear it up!

He probably asked him "Still got yir England Under 21 shirt have ye Stuarty boy ?"

Edited by ErsatzThistle

17 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Just got a tear in my eye when listening to the BBC show from Beechwood Park - Big D, Derrick McDicken in the audience, and still talking and taking the pish out Chick Young. My other big Killie hero was Jim Stewart. Got to meet him as a wee boy when he gave me a medal at The Centre in Stewarton at the Stewarton Annick awards night one year. Never been so starstruck. Who did you manage to meet ?

Played in a golf day with Big D, Park Clarke, Jimmy Clark, John Bourke etc in the summer, great day!

A mate shared a Tommy Burns story with me the other day which I thought was pretty funny so thought I'd share here.  It's apparently from Frank McAvennie.  

"Back in the late 90s Celtic would play a theme game in training every Friday, so it would be Old vs Young, East vs West and stuff like that.  So one Friday they played a Catholic vs Protestant match but they had 2 more Catholic players than Protestant so devout Catholic Tommy Burns went in the Protestant side....

After 2 minutes he clashed with Peter Grant on a 50/50 ball sending both men flying in to the air.  After 5 minutes Roy Aitken when through Tommy Burns with a late challenge causing a big rammy between the 2 sides.

When the game was kicking off again after the 12 man rammy Burns turned to Murdo McLeod and said " I see what all the fuss is about now Murdo.  I've only been a Hun for 10 minutes and I already hate those Fenian Bastards!!"

I’ve heard that one, probably from McAvennie or maybe Chic Charnley?

but also heard it as a joke about a wee boy that tells his dad, mum, gran etc. he wants to be a catholic/Protestant and after several clips round the ear he hates those proddy/fenian bastards already.

3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I’ve heard that one, probably from McAvennie or maybe Chic Charnley?

but also heard it as a joke about a wee boy that tells his dad, mum, gran etc. he wants to be a catholic/Protestant and after several clips round the ear he hates those proddy/fenian bastards already.

I think it's another one of those urban myths that get attributed to all different people and probably never actually happened at all.

A bit like the guy at Celtic park who shouted "aw naw ers Annoni on anaw noo"  or the boy from your school who said he wanted his pizza cut into 4's because he couldn't eat 8.

4 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I think it's another one of those urban myths that get attributed to all different people and probably never actually happened at all.

A bit like the guy at Celtic park who shouted "aw naw ers Annoni on anaw noo"  or the boy from your school who said he wanted his pizza cut into 4's because he couldn't eat 8.

The Annoni story originated from Scots actor and Celtic season-ticket holder Alec Norton, who claimed it was a guy who sat two rows in front of him who shouted it.

He (Alec - don't know about the other guy) is very good company socially and is a down-to-earth type, not prone to porkie-telling.

4 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

It's also about as funny as leprosy and would appeal to the kind of gimp who think sportsmans dinners are great. 

Little surprise that Frank McAvennie was spouting it. Horrible cunt.  

24 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's also about as funny as leprosy and would appeal to the kind of gimp who think sportsmans dinners are great. 

Tell us what you really think :rollsmile:

42 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You get a dodgy steak pie at a sportsman’s dinner?

1 hour ago, Flure said:

The Annoni story originated from Scots actor and Celtic season-ticket holder Alec Norton, who claimed it was a guy who sat two rows in front of him who shouted it.

He (Alec - don't know about the other guy) is very good company socially and is a down-to-earth type, not prone to porkie-telling.

I'm sure someone probably did hear similar but we'd have to have been playing it at the Maracana for everyone who's claimed to have heard it to be telling the truth

On 1/24/2019 at 4:11 PM, glasgow jock said:

I'm neither a Killie or Celtic fan, but that man always impressed me both on and off the field, I also thought he was underrated as a player, credit to his parents and family 👍

The thing about Tam Burns was that he was so friendly, positive, forgiving, only interested in making friends rather than enemies, he had a great sense of humour and was a fantastic raconteur.

His wife told the story in a documentary Celtic produced of how during his final illness, at a hospital visit his chart got mixed up with someone elses and whilst the nurses sorted out all the papers he said to his wife "That was a close one - I might have ended up getting a boob job !"

With regard to football, he appreciated the effort the fans go to for the team and tried to get the players to understand that, he believed that football is all about entertainment and that teams should attack one another, and last but not least that young players must always be given a chance and the benefit of the doubt.

Oh, and he was a proud Scotsman too.

Edited by ErsatzThistle