Scotland Podcast - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hi all, I'd just like to bring my Scotland podcast to the attention of fellow fans. I hope this post is allowed, apologies if it goes against any rules of the forum.

It's called The Hampden Roar and I've been interviewing former players, and so far one manager, about their international careers. I've got 9 episodes online and have some more good guests lined up over the coming months.

Kenny Miller, Gary Caldwell, Stephen McManus, Paul Lambert, Ian Murray, Jim McCalliog, Murdo McLeod and Craig Brown episodes are all online. Part two of my interview with Kenny Miller will be out this week.

The host website with episodes is called Audioboom and can be found here https://audioboom.com/channels/4969604

It's also on iTunes, Spotify and Google podcasts if those platforms suit any potential listeners better.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope that anyone that gives it a go enjoys it. Cheers, Andy.

An enjoyable listen :ok:. I would like to hear more.

Just putting this out there - do you think there is any chance you could get in touch with the family of Bobby Brown and see if he would like to be interviewed ? 

Obviously he is a very old man now (96 this March) and I admittedly don't know what his health is like but it would be amazing to hear him talk at length of his memories of playing for and managing Scotland if he was up for it.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

• 2 weeks later...

Highly recommend these podcasts 

I enjoyed Craig Brown part 1, I didn't know about Traynor's grudge against Brown but its not surprising considering Jim Traynor is pond life. I also didn't know that there was a rumour about Dalglish not being injured in 86 but that he'd gone in the huff because fergie never picked Hansen. I can only imagine the outcry nowdays if that happened and rightly so if there was truth in it. 

Was it ever confirmed whether Dalglish was actually injured or in the huff?

After listening to it you have to wonder what the fuck happened to us, confidence gone, passion diluted and barely any talent coming through for years

Edited by vanderark14

9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Highly recommend these podcasts 

I enjoyed Craig Brown part 1, I didn't know about Traynor's grudge against Brown but its not surprising considering Jim Traynor is pond life. I also didn't know that there was a rumour about Dalglish not being injured in 86 but that he'd gone in the huff because fergie never picked Hansen. I can only imagine the outcry nowdays if that happened and rightly so if there was truth in it. 

Was it ever confirmed whether Dalglish was actually injured or in the huff?

After listening to it you have to wonder what the fuck happened to us, confidence gone, passion diluted and barely any talent coming through for years

It was a good listen and i’ve certainly heard the Dalglish rumour. I think Brown was a bit pessimistic about our current players. Stuart Armstrong is a better player than Craig Burley for example, but he certainly had some good players at his disposal, albeit most weren’t as good as those Roxburgh and Stein had. 

On 1/18/2019 at 1:29 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

An enjoyable listen :ok:. I would like to hear more.

Just putting this out there - do you think there is any chance you could get in touch with the family of Bobby Brown and see if he would like to be interviewed ? 

Obviously he is a very old man now (96 this March) and I admittedly don't know what his health is like but it would be amazing to hear him talk at length of his memories of playing for and managing Scotland if he was up for it.

That's not one I'd considered but I agree it would be great to hear his memories. I'll look into the possibility of it!

Thanks for the kind feedback to all! This week's episode with Billy Dodds is now online on Audioboom, itunes and spotify. I'm glad people are enjoying the interviews and don't hesitate to spread the word - its much appreciated!

Any requests or ideas for guests feel free to leave a comment and I'll see what I can do.

Andy.

Hi hampdenroarpod,

Loving the pod casts so far up to Kenny Miller, started listening to it last Tuesday and not listened to the radio in the car since, I hope you continue to post more and hopefully a pre Kazakhstan/San Marino discussion when the squad is announced to and pod to discuss what has went on in these games???

Keep up the good work very enjoyable listening.

Would love a pod with, Ally McCoist or Steven Presley or David Weir. as stated above would love a pod to discuss squad announcements, performance etc even if it was just a couple of your mates or past players.

On 2/6/2019 at 6:09 PM, Mushet84 said:

Hi hampdenroarpod,

Loving the pod casts so far up to Kenny Miller, started listening to it last Tuesday and not listened to the radio in the car since, I hope you continue to post more and hopefully a pre Kazakhstan/San Marino discussion when the squad is announced to and pod to discuss what has went on in these games???

Keep up the good work very enjoyable listening.

Would love a pod with, Ally McCoist or Steven Presley or David Weir. as stated above would love a pod to discuss squad announcements, performance etc even if it was just a couple of your mates or past players.

Good suggestions, would really enjoy speaking to all of them. I'll see what I can do with regards to getting in touch with them.

Also, yes, I'll be doing pre and post match podcasts throughout the qualifiers. Probably as you say when the squad is announced and then a day or so after the game. Glad you're enjoying the podcasts! 

I am very keen to hear the latest one with Craig Levein, fair play to him for spending the time on the subject with you.  I have no idea how you are getting these interviews together, and would not expect you to reveal that, but I am loving your work. 

14 hours ago, hampdenroarpod said:

The Craig Levein episode is online now. He talks about Italia 90 and his 3 year spell at management. Thanks to all who are continuing to listen to the podcast and those who are new to listening too!

Keep it up mate, your approach is refreshing and is a breath of fresh air from our largely hopeless football media. :ok:

Enjoying the podcasts mate, downloaded them all now and listening in car for work commute.

I was reliving the horror show that was Belgium at Hampden under Craig Brown this morning...still remember the deathly silence at the end of that game.  I hadn't appreciated it was so early in the qualifying campaign and i hadn't heard the story about Archie Knox and the runner. 

Suggestions for future ones Christian Dailly, Gary Nasmyth and Faddy and as suggested above, McCoist.  Also, Jim Leighton was my hero growing up and he had plenty of ups and downs to talk about with Scotland.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really love to hear the memories of some of our last remaining internationals from the 1950s if it could at all be arranged.

It would be amazing to get their stories of playing for Scotland, when football was remarkably different from today, recorded for posterity before it's too late.

Of course it all depends on if they are still in good health and want to be interviewed. It can mean an awful lot to an auld gent that someone genuinely wants to hear their story.

The SFA might be able to help put you in touch with them or their families. Ian McMillan in particular looked very well and had a great recall when he was featured in that Jim Baxter documentary a couple of years back.

My suggestions:

Doug Cowie - aged 92. Played for Dundee and Morton. Twenty caps between 1953 and 1958.

Andy Weir - aged 81. Played for Motherwell. Six caps between 1959 and 1960.

Ian McMillan - aged 87. Played for Aidrieonians and Rangers. Six caps between 1952 and 1961.

Duncan MacKay - aged 81. Played for Celtic and Third Lanark. Fourteen caps between 1959 and 1962. (although it's unclear if MacKay still lives in Scotland, it's possible he might actually live in Australia now.)

Started listening to these a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed them. Good listening to the likes of Kenny Miller, he seemed to love playing for Scotland, pity that I listened to Leveins though, arrogant stubborn little man.

Hopefully theres more to come.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 2:29 PM, kumnio said:

Started listening to these a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed them. Good listening to the likes of Kenny Miller, he seemed to love playing for Scotland, pity that I listened to Leveins though, arrogant stubborn little man.

Hopefully theres more to come.

I dont think levein came across like that, I actually enjoyed his interview.

He was dying to tell all regarding players who feigned injuries, I wish he did, it's about time these players were named and shamed. It's the punters who get shafted because of these players.

New episode while I work on getting a few more former players on as guests.

A post--mortem of the last few weeks..

Covering aspects like our missing players, our player quality, McLeish's future and potential replacements..

https://audioboom.com/posts/7220671-kazakhstan-and-san-marino-review

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/15-kazakhstan-and-san-marino-review/id1432582074?i=1000433976373&mt=2