Favorite song. 40s 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Favorite song. 40s 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s

17 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Do you want to it properly

Brilliant. I can’t remember who it was but a soon to become famous guitarist told the story of being booked to support Chuck Berry one time (I have a feeling it might have been Clapton again).

He turned up & waited. Berry apparently showed up minutes before the gig. Our man was in a blind panic at this point & grabbed him to say that he didn’t even know what songs they were playing. 

Apparently the reply was “We’s playing Chuck Berry songs, what do you think we’d be playing?”

I really wanted to join in this thread, but i dont't think I could narrow down my choices from 1960-2019 to one choice. Certainly i don't think even my aged years  I could get back to the forties. So after a bit of thinking, remembering back to New Year parties, I remembered to the times when my father would sing song a called 'Rosemarie'. So after a bit of searching I found it '1935'. We'll need to change the title. He didn't do it in this operatic style in  the link it was more in the pub style but I'll always remember him down on one knee singing 'Oh rosemarie I love you I'm always dreaming of you'. Enjoy.

Edited by Eisegerwind

5 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

I really wanted to join in this thread, but i dont't think I could narrow down my choices from 1960-2019 to one choice. Certainly i don't think even my aged years  I could get back to the forties. So after a bit of thinking, remembering back to New Year parties, I remembered to the times when my father would sing song a called 'Rosemarie'. So after a bit of searching I found it '1935'. We'll need to change the title. He didn't do it in this operatic style in  the link it was more in the pub style but I'll always remember him down on one knee singing 'Oh rosemarie I love you I'm always dreaming of you'. Enjoy.

Absolute pleasure listening to this. Thanks pal. My dad used to play the old Patsy Cline songs. 

22 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

15 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Absolute pleasure listening to this. Thanks pal. My dad used to play the old Patsy Cline songs. 

Noooooooooooo☠️😂

3 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Aye. Imagine. 10 year old Ramy listening to "Stand  by your man" at 2 in the morning from his da who is pushed as a fart. Lovely.😀😀😀

Sometimes it's hard to be a woman 🤔

10 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Brilliant. I can’t remember who it was but a soon to become famous guitarist told the story of being booked to support Chuck Berry one time (I have a feeling it might have been Clapton again).

He turned up & waited. Berry apparently showed up minutes before the gig. Our man was in a blind panic at this point & grabbed him to say that he didn’t even know what songs they were playing. 

Apparently the reply was “We’s playing Chuck Berry songs, what do you think we’d be playing?”

It was Springsteen. He also didn't tell them the key they would be playing in and started in B flat, causing further confusion. He then proceeded to castigate two band members for 'playing too fancifully' and told Springsteen to stop playing lead - 'only Chuck Berry plays Chuck Berry licks'. He did praise Southside Johnny, telling the crowd - 'that white boy sure can play the blues'.

Taking it back a bit further I would say:

1920s Blind Willie Johnson: God Moves on the Water (about the sinking of the Titanic)

1930s Robert Johnson: Love in Vain (lots of Woody Guthrie to pick from this decade too)

Edited by Stapes

2 hours ago, shunkyboy and the fluffer said:

60's Rolling Stones - You can't always get What you want.

70's Bob Dylan - Hurricane.

80's The Cure - Pictures of you.

90's Stone Roses - Ten Storey Love Song.

00's Libertines - Up The Bracket.

Pictures of you is my favorite Cure tune. Can't believe I no mention that. 

I don't really know which songs are my all time favourites so I am going with ones I like a lot. I was born in 1960 so 

60s let the music play - Didi Noel.

70s Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

80s Enola Gay - OMD.

90s Dreams - Cranberries

I don't really know any songs from after the 90s

Ian

Edited by hoofitharder

I am absolutely shocked and appalled that nobody has mentioned Scotland's greatest gift to the world of music. The one and only. "Bay City Rollers". Top band in their day. That Woody  was some fashion statement. Anyone know exactly in Scotland they were from? I'm sure it no "Bay City". Just sayin like..

16 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

We must have very similar musical tastes. As soon as I saw the thread mention the 30s that’s what came straight into my head. 

I think we'll be diverging by the 70's :-))

I've got mostly 70's, 90's and 00's stuff.   I've been putting the 70's one off thinking, "where do I start".

Answer... AT THE BEGINNING.   Well almost, I'll skip a couple of cassettes and jump to the 1st vinyl bought with my own pocket money.   Tempted to post the 1st track, but who's got 8 minutes to spare?   So My 70's bangin' favourite is...

6 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I think we'll be diverging by the 70's :-))

I've got mostly 70's, 90's and 00's stuff.   I've been putting the 70's one off thinking, "where do I start".

Answer... AT THE BEGINNING.   Well almost, I'll skip a couple of cassettes and jump to the 1st vinyl bought with my own pocket money.   Tempted to post the 1st track, but who's got 8 minutes to spare?   So My 70's bangin' favourite is...

I’m trying to remember the first record I bought for myself. I think it might have been Jah War by the Ruts. My first ever single though...which my kids constantly torment me about...I’m The Leader of the Gang (I Am) 😳

2 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I’m trying to remember the first record I bought for myself. I think it might have been Jah War by the Ruts. My first ever single though...which my kids constantly torment me about...I’m The Leader of the Gang (I Am) 😳

Ha! I probably recorded that off the radio chart show with microphone onto my portable Philips cassette recorder.   It was an old valve radio my folks had from the 50's.   When the valves warmed up one must have moved and you had to give it a slap.   My version of Status Quo's Down Down had a quiet section followed by a thump before the final chorus.

8 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Ha! I probably recorded that off the radio chart show with microphone onto my portable Philips cassette recorder.   It was an old valve radio my folks had from the 50's.   When the valves warmed up one must have moved and you had to give it a slap.   My version of Status Quo's Down Down had a quiet section followed by a thump before the final chorus.

I had a collection of chart hits on cassette that were interspersed with my Dad shouting "I'm going for a bath - don't come in the bathroom until I'm out."

3 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I had a collection of chart hits on cassette that were interspersed with my Dad shouting "I'm going for a bath - don't come in the bathroom until I'm out."

We had a revolution when my dad drilled a hole in my sister's Dansette-style record player and fitted a DIN socket somehow.   I then had the option of copying her David Cassidy LPs.