Favorite song. 40s 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Favorite song. 40s 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s

I'm still struggling to pick one from the 1940's 'cause I've a few favourites. Dizzie Gillespie - Manteca, Leadbelly - Where Did You Sleep Last Night, T-Bone - Stormy Monday, Perry Como - Sweet Sixteen (my folks met at school 😍 ), The East German & Soviet national anthems (just to balance my Wagner post :whistling: ), Robert Wilson - Road to the Isles, but here's Peggy Lee & Benny Goodman just so I can post this video...

It's really hard to be fair & I don't think I'd give the same answer if you asked me on a different day. I also thought some songs were from the wrong decade which mucked up my answer.

1940s: Boogie Chillun (John Lee Hooker)

1950s: Smokestack Lightning (Howlin Wolf)

1960s: Two Little Boys Waterloo Sunset (Kinks)

1970s: Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen)

1980s: Ghost Town (Specials)

1990s: Cast No Shadow (Oasis)

5 hours ago, Flure said:

80s - 90s - music was shite

Since the year turned into 2019, I was coincidentally thinking about 1994. Feck me, I was thinking. That was 25 years ago.   Some truly epic tunes then.   Just that one year never mind picking a favourite from the whole decade.   I rediscovered music around then and have been boring you all here ever since :hammer:

15 hours ago, Flure said:

40s - This Land Is Your Land - Woody Guthrie

50s - Take Five - The Dave Brubeck Quartet

60s - A Horse With No Name - America

70s - Joybringer - Mannfred Mann

80s - 90s - music was shite

15 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Never heard of them. 🤣

You being a sellick man you must know a different version of the Woody Guthrie song?

This is the type of thing that would change regularly hwoever for now...

1940s - Riders in the Sky - Vaughn Monroe

1950s - Rock Island Line - Lonnie Donegan

1960s - Suzanne - Leonard Cohen

1970s - I Feel Love - Donna Summer & Giorgio Moroder

1980s - Johnny Yen - James

1990s - Sleep The Clock Around - Belle & Sebastian

I've surprised myself by not having any Elvis,  Bowie, Beatles or Doors in there.

Edited by Fairbairn

15 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

It's really hard to be fair & I don't think I'd give the same answer if you asked me on a different day. I also thought some songs were from the wrong decade which mucked up my answer.

1940s: Boogie Chillun (John Lee Hooker)

1950s: Smokestack Lightning (Howlin Wolf)

1960s: Two Little Boys Waterloo Sunset (Kinks)

1970s: Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen)

1980s: Ghost Town (Specials)

1990s: Cast No Shadow (Oasis)

Gonna be hard to top Smokestack Lightning for the 50's.   Need to have a think.

19 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Flute, I remember America, great tune. One of my dad's favorites. He also lived John Denver. 

Flute 😂😂

This is a near impossible question.  As others have said , the answer will change every day. Off the top of my head:

40s - no idea, even I am not old enough for that. 

50’s - Nina Simone , My Baby Just Cares For Me

60’s - Foundations , Build Me Up Buttercup

70’s - David Bowie, Life On Mars

80’s - Billy Joel, Goodnight Saigon

90’s - Pulp , Babies

32 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Gonna be hard to top Smokestack Lightning for the 50's.   Need to have a think.

I could listen to HW all day long. The recording of him slapping Eric Clapton down & more or less telling him to get his act together & learn how to play blues (Little Red Rooster on the London Sessions) is well worth listening to. 

6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Flute 😂😂

This is a near impossible question.  As others have said , the answer will change every day. Off the top of my head:

40s - no idea, even I am not old enough for that.

Eh, you babysat me.

7 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I could listen to HW all day long. The recording of him slapping Eric Clapton down & more or less telling him to get his act together & learn how to play blues (Little Red Rooster on the London Sessions) is well worth listening to. 

Yes, I've decided I can't top him for 50's.

Looking at one from 60's, I grew up listening to early Zeppelin, but turns out most of I & II were rip-offs... some from Howlin' Wolf anaw!   Still good though.   Their loud and heavy arrangement must have come from Marshall amps and Jimi Hendrix ...so thought about All Along the Watchtower, but it's a cover of Dylan apparently taking the piss.   Still great, and I cannot find Dylan's original, and it seems he then covered Hendrix covering him.

So feck it, I'll go with The Small Faces - All or Nothing, which I think I picked up from the TAMB as some old bugger must have posted it.   I was reluctant to pick it as it sounds like Steve Marriott is making a case to get his leg over.   It's a breakup song however.

9 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Do you want to it properly