Thanks Andy - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

45 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Well he certainly went out fighting :)

I watched the last set, after the double break you could tell he was done and he was about to lose on his service, but once the rallies started he couldn't help himself and managed to keep serve.

Murray is one of the most "human" champions ever for me, been far from a perfect journey but that makes the highs all the better.

41 minutes ago, phart said:

Murray is one of the most "human" champions ever for me, been far from a perfect journey but that makes the highs all the better.

Definitely. Chris Evert called him the "People's Champion" and (despite it being a bit cheesy) you can understand what she means when she says that. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Definitely. Chris Evert called him the "People's Champion" and (despite it being a bit cheesy) you can understand what she means when she says that. 

Amazing effort today from him but.....you have to wonder what good that operation has done him. From watching him today I'd say his hip is as bad as ever?

When we lost ti Macedonia in Skopje ..remember everyone being a bit flat back in the city centre pubs..then Murray was beating Nadal in the US open ..cue the "we're only here fur the tennis "..brilliant bloke with a typically Scottish sense of humour that the English dont quite get.

14 hours ago, irnbruman said:

When we lost ti Macedonia in Skopje ..remember everyone being a bit flat back in the city centre pubs..then Murray was beating Nadal in the US open ..cue the "we're only here fur the tennis "..brilliant bloke with a typically Scottish sense of humour that the English dont quite get.

Aye, pubs were bouncing during that game.

I watched the final in a hotel at Stansted on my way from Macedonia to Iceland!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Chripper said:

One of his main motivations to keep playing is because he wants his kids to see him play tennis, in the flesh. But if there's even a 1% chance that playing on will affect his later life then I'd tell him to quit right now.

The problem is that tennis is his life right now and he has openly said he does not know what he'll do once his career is over. Very true that he badly wants his kids to see him play competitively and has undergone surgery to try to make that happen. I think he is thinking along the lines of think for today and take tomorrow as it comes. Also medical advances are being made all of the time so who knows what treatment may be able to make life more comfortable hip-wise for him say five to ten years down the line. After all the surgery he has had done now is all new compared to a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

One of his main motivations to keep playing is because he wants his kids to see him play tennis, in the flesh. But if there's even a 1% chance that playing on will affect his later life then I'd tell him to quit right now.

He is an age where future medical technology will be light years ahead of where we are now.

I'd take the gamble.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The problem is that tennis is his life right now and he has openly said he does not know what he'll do once his career is over. Very true that he badly wants his kids to see him play competitively and has undergone surgery to try to make that happen. I think he is thinking along the lines of think for today and take tomorrow as it comes. Also medical advances are being made all of the time so who knows what treatment may be able to make life more comfortable hip-wise for him say five to ten years down the line. After all the surgery he has had done now is all new compared to a few years ago.

I definitely feel for him, he should be at the peak of his career and yet he's fighting to save it. It's easy for me to say that he should quit but if it were me and I were facing a prospect of giving up what I'm best at... I'd be stubborn and dig in. But then again what I'm good at won't potentially hinder my life.

I just hope whatever he choses he'll be OK.

6 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

He is an age where future medical technology will be light years ahead of where we are now.

I'd take the gamble.

Bob Bryan underwent similar surgery and he's back playing and winning tournaments, but no singles player has done the same. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:18 AM, Chripper said:

Aye I tend to agree.