Thanks Andy - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just now, dandydunn said:

Interesting that a lot of opinions on here for footballers to play for team gb would be hated for life, but it was ok for Murray to do it?

Hopefully he doesn’t make Wimbledon, if he does, the UJ wankfest will be unbearable towards him. 

Other's will know better but the argument with Team GB was it could possibly affect the Scotland team and even a tiny chance was too big a risk.

While with Murray that scenario was never replicated.

7 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Interesting that a lot of opinions on here for footballers to play for team gb would be hated for life, but it was ok for Murray to do it?

Hopefully he doesn’t make Wimbledon, if he does, the UJ wankfest will be unbearable towards him. 

Totally different scenario altogether.

Football is a team sport and Scotland play as an individual country but the fear about Team GB competing in the Olympics was that it could run the risk of seeing Scotland disbanded as an international team in international football.

In tennis Andy Murray plays as an individual and Scotland do not have an international team in tennis in the Davis Cup it competes under the name of GB so there was no threat whatsoever to Murray competing in the Olympics and no comeback either from it. 

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Totally different scenario altogether.

Football is a team sport and Scotland play as an individual country but the fear about Team GB competing in the Olympics was that it could run the risk of seeing Scotland disbanded as an international team in international football.

In tennis Andy Murray plays as an individual and Scotland do not have an international team in tennis in the Davis Cup it competes under the name of GB so there was no threat whatsoever to Murray competing in the Olympics and no comeback either from it. 

He didn’t have to represent Britain though, he chose to. 

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

Thanks

Scotland forever

Yes I get that statement but what part of Scotland for never in tennis don't you understand? Scotland do not exist in the world of tennis and the only way an uber-talented player from these shores can display his talents and win the biggest titles in the world is to have two letters after his name - GB. Now are you telling me you point blank refuse to buy any goods without a Scotland flag on it? No I guess not. You probably work for a UK company. Do you consider resigning on principle. Of course not.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I get that statement but what part of Scotland for never in tennis don't you understand? Scotland do not exist in the world of tennis and the only way an uber-talented player from these shores can display his talents and win the biggest titles in the world is to have two letters after his name - GB. Now are you telling me you point blank refuse to buy any goods without a Scotland flag on it? No I guess not. You probably work for a UK company. Do you consider resigning on principle. Of course not.

You would be incorrect. I work for a local, built in Aberdeen company. Everything else is pretty much spot on. 

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

You would be incorrect. I work for a local, built in Aberdeen company. Everything else is pretty much spot on. 

So there you have it. You want Andy Murray to give up his love of playing tennis because the international tennis authorities do not allow him to represent Scotland but it is alright for you to go on buying British goods or watching British made television shows and listen to British pop music? What I am saying is if you think Murray should throw away all his massive tennis talents to make a political point then you should be prepared to do the same.

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So there you have it. You want Andy Murray to give up his love of playing tennis because the international tennis authorities do not allow him to represent Scotland but it is alright for you to go on buying British goods or watching British made television shows and listen to British pop music? What I am saying is if you think Murray should throw away all his massive tennis talents to make a political point then you should be prepared to do the same.

You’re making an awful lot of assumptions about me. I buy Scottish & local produce, I don’t watch a lot of tv and I hate pop music. 

If you want to celebrate the heritage of being British, please feel free, I merely stated the wankfest that will happen at Wimbledon will be unbearable.

Surely I’m allowed my opinion without you trying to bully and ostracise me on the internet?

Just now, dandydunn said:

You’re making an awful lot of assumptions about me. I buy Scottish & local produce, I don’t watch a lot of tv and I hate pop music. 

If you want to celebrate the heritage of being British, please feel free, I merely stated the wankfest that will happen at Wimbledon will be unbearable.

Surely I’m allowed my opinion without you trying to bully and ostracise me on the internet?

A bit of kettle, pot and black there. After all you are the one daftly feeling sure Murray should not have played international tennis because of two letters he had after his name. Who said anything about celebrating being British. If he plays at Wimbledon I will be saluting Andy Murray's great tennis career ending. And for your information I'm well nigh certain Andy made financial contribution to the 2014 independence campaign and has often said he supports an independent Scotland. And as plaudits go Nicola Sturgeon is wholesome in his praise - I don't see her trying to hint he is some kind of traitor.

Sorry if you think I was bullying you, I wasn't. 

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A bit of kettle, pot and black there. After all you are the one daftly feeling sure Murray should not have played international tennis because of two letters he had after his name. Who said anything about celebrating being British. If he plays at Wimbledon I will be saluting Andy Murray's great tennis career ending. And for your information I'm well nigh certain Andy made financial contribution to the 2014 independence campaign and has often said he supports an independent Scotland. And as plaudits go Nicola Sturgeon is wholesome in his praise - I don't see her trying to hint he is some kind of traitor.

Sorry if you think I was bullying you, I wasn't. 

Now you’re just being outright racist against me, reported. No need for that whatsoever. 

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Same here, I only ever watched Wimbledon till Murray arrived on the scene. I ended up going to three slams, ATP Finals 3 times and queens once because of him. Luckily I saw him at all of those except queens. 

Tennis is a great sport and its far from pompus.

Come on, it's a Tory pursuit, a hobby for toffs, a sit on your arse and drink champagne sport, it's utter garbage. Murray is a good guy but it's a minority sport that stirs little emotion.

9 minutes ago, Mox said:

Come on, it's a Tory pursuit, a hobby for toffs, a sit on your arse and drink champagne sport, it's utter garbage. Murray is a good guy but it's a minority sport that stirs little emotion.

So Andy didn't bring the sport to the masses? May have been upper class but it's now a sport we all take note of. 

15 minutes ago, Mox said:

At Wimbledon or Queen's Club maybe. But you're talking about one of the top 5 most popular global sports.

Edited by Toepoke

2 hours ago, Mox said:

You're not even close to being right but congratulations on posting a high level of ignorance 

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

At Wimbledon or Queen's Club maybe. But you're talking about one of the top 5 most popular global sports.

Queens is full of pretend posh people, Wimbledon isn't unless you are paying for the very expensive seats.