Thanks Andy - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

9 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

A sad day, in a different generation and without his injuries, he would have cleaned up everything, just so happens two of the greatest ever players, came along at the time of his playing career 

I'd say 3 of the best ever.  51 slam titles between Federer (20), Nadal (17) and Djokovic (14) and you wouldn't really bet against any of them adding to that, especially not Djokovic.  One more for Djokovic will put those 3 at #1-3 in the list of title winners.

Edited by Fairbairn

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I'd say 3 of the best ever.  51 slam titles between Federer (20), Nadal (17) and Djokovic (14) and you wouldn't really bet against any of them adding to that, especially not Djokovic.  One more for Djokovic will put those 3 at #1-3 in the list of title winners.

Aye 3 of the top 5 ever in all likelihood.

Compare with Lewis Hamilton having to race in the same era as Schumacher,  Senna and Fangio.

He had a great will to win and not settle for second best. When he was a teenager he could have settled for sub-standard UK coaching but he realised he needed more to be the best and pestered his mother to send him to Spain to a tennis academy to train with and learn from the best. Andy then found out in his early years on the circuit he needed to work on his physical side and went from a weedy teenager to one of the fittest players on the circuit. He then had to endure a growing amount of painful losses in slam finals that would have crushed others but not Andy. He stuck in there and finally won his first slam and the rest is history. All of this when he had a floating kneecap and ankle injuries forcing him to wear ankle braces. It is certain that but for Federer, Nadal and Djokovic he would have been in the realm of 10+ slam wins. Still he can retire with his held head high and it is a certainty that no British player will surpass his achievements in my lifetime.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Yes yer right i was actually forgetting nadal somehow 🙈  hes been very unlucky to be in a era with that standard of players  

2 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Not sure what he will do next but I believe he will ultimately be remembered as one of the finest ever Scotsman,  and not just in a sporting context.

Well he already has his own hotel and runs a company that mentors young tennis talents. I think he will concentrate more on the latter and could very well go into coaching as well. I can certainly see him remaining in tennis in some capacity.

6 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

A sad day, in a different generation and without his injuries, he would have cleaned up everything, just so happens two of the greatest ever players, came along at the time of his playing career 

5 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Indeed. 3. 

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer. 

I don't have the words to express just how much respect and admiration i have for Andy. I might sound like a wee laddie but he's my hero. For what he's achieved, what he had to go through en route to achieving it and the attitude, sportsmanship and honesty he's displayed throughout his career. 

Was close to greeting this morning watching his press conference. I can't believe it's over. 😭

22 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

On the plus side, we can all now stop pretending we like tennis.

I fucking love tennis :lol: 

A love affair that started because of Andy though. 

44 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I probably won't watch it as intensely but I still like it as a sport.  Although I'm a bit older so got hooked watching Borg, Connors and McEnroe. 

(Borg also retired even earlier, at 26!)

Edited by Toepoke

7 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

A top man, and very funny too.

And also the greatest sportsperson these islands has ever produced.

Maybe that's a bit too much, but I think so.

A lot of very VERY bitter, probably depressed, negative, deeply unhappy people on the BBC site here https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/46833018

I think the technical term for a lot of those that post there are cave-dwellers - to put it politely. 

20 hours ago, Parklife said:

Same here, I only ever watched Wimbledon till Murray arrived on the scene. I ended up going to three slams, ATP Finals 3 times and queens once because of him. Luckily I saw him at all of those except queens. 

Tennis is a great sport and its far from pompus.