Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chripper

Karamoko Dembele

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

How is somebody born in London to parents from the Ivory Coast entirely Scottish?

He's not entirely Scottish, that's why I could understand if his head was turned with the Ivory coast. Can someone feel English, living there for the first three months of their lives and having family not even from this continent? If be astounded if they did 

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

He's not entirely Scottish, that's why I could understand if his head was turned with the Ivory coast. Can someone feel English, living there for the first three months of their lives and having family not even from this continent? If be astounded if they did 

Never said they could.

I'm not fussed either way if he plays for us. Certainly won't lose sleep over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

How is somebody born in London to parents from the Ivory Coast entirely Scottish?

Lived here since a year old, schooled here & came through the system of one of our clubs. Speaks with the accent also, which is a minor one.

hes entirely Scottish.

hes about as English as Phil Bardsley is Scottish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Lived here since a year old, schooled here & came through the system of one of our clubs. Speaks with the accent also, which is a minor one.

hes entirely Scottish.

hes about as English as Phil Bardsley is Scottish. 

You have to concede it's not unreasonable for him to feel Ivorian. He may have a wee Scottish accent, but he's got a different face from 99% of Glaswegians, and I'm sure his home life involves a lot of Ivorian culture. Entirely Scottish? Whit?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

You have to concede it's not unreasonable for him to feel Ivorian. He may have a wee Scottish accent, but he's got a different face from 99% of Glaswegians, and I'm sure his home life involves a lot of Ivorian culture. Entirely Scottish? Whit?

Borderline racism 🤔

Fair on the Ivorian shout - England zero connection so if he picks them it’s purely down to money or glory and not how he feels. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Borderline racism 🤔

Hahaha What?! I was questioning your ignorant belief that a kid whose family come from a different country and culture couldn't be anything but entirely scottish just cause of where he grew up. 

My girlfriend was born and grew up in a country that she doesn't identify with as much as the country and culture of her parents birth. 

That's not to say he can't consider himself Scottish, but for you to claim he's entirely Scottish without knowing the lad or how he thinks and feels about his family heritage is nonsense. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Said this before but his brother plays for Peterborough and he was interviewed and said his dream is to play with his brother....for the Ivory Coast.

Would be amazed if he declares for Scotland...isn't playing for the youth sides like when Giggs played for England all those years ago due to residential issues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

Hahaha What?! I was questioning your ignorant belief that a kid whose family come from a different country and culture couldn't be anything but entirely scottish just cause of where he grew up. 

My girlfriend was born and grew up in a country that she doesn't identify with as much as the country and culture of her parents birth. 

That's not to say he can't consider himself Scottish, but for you to claim he's entirely Scottish without knowing the lad or how he thinks and feels about his family heritage is nonsense. 

Tee hee too easy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Said this before but his brother plays for Peterborough and he was interviewed and said his dream is to play with his brother....for the Ivory Coast.

Would be amazed if he declares for Scotland...isn't playing for the youth sides like when Giggs played for England all those years ago due to residential issues?

Indeed it was.

He attended School in England so he was obligated to represent England.

It's amazing how many people still think he had a choice of playing for England.

Back to Dembele. I'm not really fussed whoever he chose. It's my dream for us to produce dozens of players of Dembele's (alleged) quality per year. I'm not too bothered what this kid does, as it won't make much of a difference on the grand scheme of things.

One thing is for sure, England are starting to produce kids of genuine quality, so much so that the best teams around Europe are taking note. They're doing it by design, whereas when we get a good player it's by accident.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 11:44 AM, andyD said:

He's 15. I dont think any of us would harang a well meaning 15 year old in real life, so i'd leave it by the wayside on here too.

End of the day, he's eligible for 3 countries, and whichever one he chooses is up to him.

Yes, he's spent most of his life in Scotland, so you'd hope that counted for something.
But his family is from Ivory Coast, so i'd totally understand if he chose them.
And given that his family have probably had a reasonably difficult time with a lot to overcome, moving from Ivory Coast to the UK with young children, then up to Govan with a 1 year old. Can't have been easy for them. Being and England star is certainly a lot more lucrative than being a Scotland star. It opens more doors, for sure. And he might just really want to take care of his family and see England as an opportunity to do that.

So i can't begrudge the kid anything. Whatever he chooses he'll have a good reason.
It'd suck seeing him in an england shirt, especially against us.
But I hope he keeps his head down and is a success, whatever he chooses, cos from what i've seen in interviews he seems like a good kid.

Spot on sir, I couldn't give a toss who he chooses, he's 15 year old ffs and the choice is his and his alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mox said:

Spot on sir, I couldn't give a toss who he chooses, he's 15 year old ffs and the choice is his and his alone.

Yet McGeady and McCarthy got dogs abuse by some, even though they had genuine connection to Ireland. I don't believe Dembele feels any connection to England whatsoever and it's just more erosion as to the true meaning of international football, just like when crap Brazilians play for Arab countries to further their careers

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think this is a case of haranguing the player, he’s free to choose whoever he likes. I do find it odd that people don’t care who he chooses though. He’s one of the most highly rated youth players in world football and I hope he wants to play for us. That he might not be as good as hoped is irrelevant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I don’t think this is a case of haranguing the player, he’s free to choose whoever he likes. I do find it odd that people don’t care who he chooses though. He’s one of the most highly rated youth players in world football and I hope he wants to play for us. That he might not be as good as hoped is irrelevant.

My feelings entirely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Yet McGeady and McCarthy got dogs abuse by some, even though they had genuine connection to Ireland. I don't believe Dembele feels any connection to England whatsoever and it's just more erosion as to the true meaning of international football, just like when crap Brazilians play for Arab countries to further their careers

Evaluate the situation and think of the comparison, mcgeady and McCarthy got dogs abuse because they were born and bred in Scotland and their parents were born and bred in Scotland. Now ask yourself the same question of dembele. He wasn't born in Scotland and he doesn't have Scottish parents. I can fully understand wanting to represent ivory coast but he is eligible for England and he seems to want to take that opportunity, sadly that is not what we want but he hasnt got huge ties til our country and England are a country he is eligible to play for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Evaluate the situation and think of the comparison, mcgeady and McCarthy got dogs abuse because they were born and bred in Scotland and their parents were born and bred in Scotland. Now ask yourself the same question of dembele. He wasn't born in Scotland and he doesn't have Scottish parents. I can fully understand wanting to represent ivory coast but he is eligible for England and he seems to want to take that opportunity, sadly that is not what we want but he hasnt got huge ties til our country and England are a country he is eligible to play for. 

As I've said previously, the Mc's had family links to Ireland, Dembele's links to England are very tentative in comparison (same situation as Phil Bardsley's dad). I doubt he wants to play for them due to his burning English desire.

If the lad wants to play for England, there's nothing we can do about it. According to Chris McCart, he can only make one more change, so it seems likely he will stick with England. 

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 11:38 AM, andyD said:

Wouldn't that have made Fabregas English?

Not with you there. Just meant that players should choose their country when they sign first pro contract. Thought Fabregas was Spanish totally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Call him up to play in the Home San Marino Game.....     stick him on for the last 20 mins.or so..   sorted..👍.  ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:51 PM, ProudScot said:

Lived here since a year old, schooled here & came through the system of one of our clubs. Speaks with the accent also, which is a minor one.

hes entirely Scottish.

hes about as English as Phil Bardsley is Scottish. 

His parents are both from Ivory Coast though, he lives here, doesn't mean he has to feel Scottish.

My mates kids were born in the States, both their parents went to School with me and are Scottish.

The kids say they are Scottish as all their family are.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh young Dembele has a genuine affiliation with all 3 of his options. At the end of the day he was born in England whether we like it or not so will forever have a connection to that country. Out of the 3 options though I would say that should be the one he has least feelings for. All options are genuine though. Unlike the two Mcs who only played for Ireland through their Grandparents. That rule should be abolished, joke off a rule. Lineage should end at Parents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Tbh young Dembele has a genuine affiliation with all 3 of his options. At the end of the day he was born in England whether we like it or not so will forever have a connection to that country. Out of the 3 options though I would say that should be the one he has least feelings for. All options are genuine though. Unlike the two Mcs who only played for Ireland through their Grandparents. That rule should be abolished, joke off a rule. Lineage should end at Parents.

Got to say that I disagree  with that. I think the blood line and upbringing is very important. If a Scottish couple or a Scottish man married to an English woman move to England and have a son they can say their child is 100% Scottish. If that "Scottish child" has a child and is part of that family and it's culture then as far as I can see that child has every right to see them selves or be seen as Scottish.

Doubt the Mcs never saw themselves as any thing other than Irish despite their place of birth.

It's been put down that age should have nothing to do with the final decision, as far as I am concerned there should at least be a minimum age put in place for a child to decide their nationality. Only being asked to play for a country at full level and refusing to means you can not be a certain nationality.

Place of birth to me is the least important factor, but the most convenient to use, which is why is was just about ?always the rule used in the past

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 10:01 AM, stocky said:

Call him up to play in the Home San Marino Game.....     stick him on for the last 20 mins.or so..   sorted..👍.  ...

 

I suggested that last year and got dogs abuse for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...