Karamoko Dembele - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Karamoko Dembele

Chripper

This is an interesting article:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/karamoko-dembeles-5-year-celtic-13835734

"McCart is confident the youngster has the mentality to make the right decisions - and he hopes it means the forward will choose the Lion Rampant over the Three Lions.

He said: "He's allowed one more change. That's why he didn't play with Scotland in the Victory Shield."

What exactly does this mean? Presently he's chosen England, so if he chooses Scotland in the future then he's tied to us? I don't get it. Do youngsters have a limited amount of times where they can change allegiance?

For the record, I don't care who he choses, as long as it gets sorted out way or the other.

I had pretty much given up hope on him choosing Scotland.......... but am surprised he stayed at Celtic.......that could be a big statement!

The potentiality of Dembélé and Gilmour being in the full squad in next few years is very exciting!

Edited by SWMM82

He's 15. I dont think any of us would harang a well meaning 15 year old in real life, so i'd leave it by the wayside on here too.

End of the day, he's eligible for 3 countries, and whichever one he chooses is up to him.

Yes, he's spent most of his life in Scotland, so you'd hope that counted for something.
But his family is from Ivory Coast, so i'd totally understand if he chose them.
And given that his family have probably had a reasonably difficult time with a lot to overcome, moving from Ivory Coast to the UK with young children, then up to Govan with a 1 year old. Can't have been easy for them. Being and England star is certainly a lot more lucrative than being a Scotland star. It opens more doors, for sure. And he might just really want to take care of his family and see England as an opportunity to do that.

So i can't begrudge the kid anything. Whatever he chooses he'll have a good reason.
It'd suck seeing him in an england shirt, especially against us.
But I hope he keeps his head down and is a success, whatever he chooses, cos from what i've seen in interviews he seems like a good kid.

His family are from the ivory coast so I wouldnt begrudge him playing for them but it is a bit shit losing him to England when he's been brought up here most of his life. Either way its understandable that he isn't a die hard Scot and would like to consider his options but it would be nice if he picked us. 

4 hours ago, andyD said:

He's 15. I dont think any of us would harang a well meaning 15 year old in real life, so i'd leave it by the wayside on here too.

End of the day, he's eligible for 3 countries, and whichever one he chooses is up to him.

Yes, he's spent most of his life in Scotland, so you'd hope that counted for something.
But his family is from Ivory Coast, so i'd totally understand if he chose them.
And given that his family have probably had a reasonably difficult time with a lot to overcome, moving from Ivory Coast to the UK with young children, then up to Govan with a 1 year old. Can't have been easy for them. Being and England star is certainly a lot more lucrative than being a Scotland star. It opens more doors, for sure. And he might just really want to take care of his family and see England as an opportunity to do that.

So i can't begrudge the kid anything. Whatever he chooses he'll have a good reason.
It'd suck seeing him in an england shirt, especially against us.
But I hope he keeps his head down and is a success, whatever he chooses, cos from what i've seen in interviews he seems like a good kid.

Yeah but I think it definitely counts for something that he has decided to stay with Celtic......am sure he wouldn’t have been short of options down south. 

Whatever he chooses to do, he is a special talent, and hope he has a successful career.....unless he opts for England....then I hope it’s just a successful club career.😜 

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

His family are from the ivory coast so I wouldnt begrudge him playing for them but it is a bit shit losing him to England when he's been brought up here most of his life. Either way its understandable that he isn't a die hard Scot and would like to consider his options but it would be nice if he picked us. 

I agree with this. If he chose the Ivory Coast then that would be completely understandable. England, however, would be hard to take. Yes he's eligible but despite being born there I don't think there are any ties. It'd be like Bradley Wiggins cycling for Belgium.

He's still young so I'm happy to give him plenty of time. You'd think that all around him he'd have friends and colleagues making the case for Scotland. On the issue of money, I don't think playing for Wales has held Bale back.

As Chripper asks though, what is the rule on number of swaps?

4 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I agree with this. If he chose the Ivory Coast then that would be completely understandable. England, however, would be hard to take. Yes he's eligible but despite being born there I don't think there are any ties. It'd be like Bradley Wiggins cycling for Belgium.

He's still young so I'm happy to give him plenty of time. You'd think that all around him he'd have friends and colleagues making the case for Scotland. On the issue of money, I don't think playing for Wales has held Bale back.

As Chripper asks though, what is the rule on number of swaps?

So the games Dembele has played for both Scotland and England have been at a ‘non-competitive’ level. 

But once you get up to Under 17’s level there are European Championship qualifying games. Scotland (and England) had the first qualifying games late last year. These are the games, it seems, Dembele refused a Scotland call up for and instead played for an England under 16 team at a non-competitive level. 

It’s my understanding that if he plays for Scotland competively at Under 17 level he’ll only be allowed to switch his international allegiance once after this. 

So he’s got a big decision this year if he wants to play qualifying games. 

Edited by Super_Scotlandfan

22 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

There is no way he will play for us, unless he doesn't get a sniff with later England age groups. He has knock back two Scotland call ups last year, one because he would have been playing England and the second because it would have tied him to us for a period due to the elite qualifiers

He's 15. I struggle to believe he read up on it on that's why he made those decisions. Who's his adviser? Coach? Agent? Parent? I genuinely think they should be helping him make a decision now as the longer it goes the worse it will become. "Here kid.. if you go play for A now it will mean you cant play for B later or for a while" Why fill his head with that s****!? He's got enough going on with school & high expectation at his young age without his head been filled with that carry on.

1 hour ago, Mazziessc said:

He's 15. I struggle to believe he read up on it on that's why he made those decisions. Who's his adviser? Coach? Agent? Parent? I genuinely think they should be helping him make a decision now as the longer it goes the worse it will become. "Here kid.. if you go play for A now it will mean you cant play for B later or for a while" Why fill his head with that s****!? He's got enough going on with school & high expectation at his young age without his head been filled with that carry on.

Not sure what the struggle would be. At 15 he must feel what nationality he his. He has no ties whatsoever to England (apart from his first few weeks of birth there). Could understand if he had a struggle between us and the IC. It just feels all a bit of a commercial/career decision and sorry, but I don't think international football should be that way

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

29 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Not sure what the struggle would be. At 15 he must feel what nationality he his. He has no ties whatsoever to England (apart from his first few weeks of birth there). Could understand if he had a struggle between us and the IC. It just feels all a bit of a commercial/career decision and sorry, but I don't think international football should be that way

Yea exactly, that's my point. Didn't he say something about how happy he was etc etc when he first got selected in his very broad Glasgow accent?

There's clearly others influencing his decision. Who and why? No one should be clouding his judgement on that decision bar his parents which should only be in the instance of if they believe he should represent IC. Which from what we've seen at least is the least likely outcome! 

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

The whole “he’s a kid let him play football” statement goes out the window now.

Hes a pro & he will make his debut this season.

Ill be highly disappointed if he doesn’t chose Scotland given he’s entirely Scottish.

lawl

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

The whole “he’s a kid let him play football” statement goes out the window now.

Hes a pro & he will make his debut this season.

Ill be highly disappointed if he doesn’t chose Scotland given he’s entirely Scottish.

How is somebody born in London to parents from the Ivory Coast entirely Scottish?

16 hours ago, Malcolm said:

The day of reckoning should be when he signs his first professional contract.  At that point he should confirm his nationality and be committed..

Does this rule apply to all professional footballers or only the ones we are over-excited about?