Machu Picchu - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Machu Picchu

Tartan_McCole

Did anyone take the jaunt over Cusco way when over for the Scotland game?

Planning to do it this year and was looking for any info on it. Fancy taking in one of the few day long hiking trails and wondered if anyone done it, or has done it previously. Not sure the best way to go about it in the sense of using a tour company, or just bashing on independently (no idea if that's even allowed :lol:).

Info appreciated!

Id guess a few hundred did it.

I flew from Lima to Cusco and back for just over £100, If I can recall correctly anyway.

I did a day tour from Cusco to Ollantayambo with https://taxidatum.com/sacred-valley-full-day-tour/ it was very well organised and everything went smoothly. My driver was called Richard, he spoke great English and although he was booked as a driver only, he was pretty much a guide as well.

The only negative I though was, I rushed the whole thing due to time constraints. Id actually like to go again, but spending a few days in Cusco this time.

Went to Machu Pichuu last year, booked through a company called Llama travel which took care of all tours, transfers etc.
You can tailor it to suit what you're after, think we just had a day in Lima before flying to Cusco, a few days to acclimatise to the altitude then went to the sacred valley before doing the short inca trail to Machu Picchu.
Would recommend the short inca trail (a days trek, not too demanding) as you arrive early evening at the sun gate,with Machu Picchu below, which is worth the hike alone. The full inca trail takes 4 days, I think you need a guide to do any part of the trail though if you're just interested in going straight to Machu Picchu I believe there are guides at the entrance.
Only stayed one night at Aguas Calientes (the town at the bottom of Machu Picchu) would've probably stayed another night if we weren't tight for time.

Over 10 years ago I couldn't book the official so went via Salkantay Pass. It was awful. Attitude sickness and pissed it down all the time so much felt like i was hill walking in Scotland.  Get the train there and save you hassle.

Went there about 20 years ago. Did an Explore tour around Peru for about 18 days. Hiked the Inca Trail to reach Machu Picchu which was a fantastic experience, would definitely recommend taking that route if you can. I think they've restricted access to the trail a bit more in recent years though.