English football - do you watch it reguarly? - Page 16 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English football - do you watch it reguarly?

English football dominated by a team with deeper pockets than the rest yet its lauded as the greatest title race ever. The reality is there was only ever going to be one winner. Did anyone actually believe man city would slip up?

It's nothing more that the league with the best marketing and PR department.

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

English football dominated by a team with deeper pockets than the rest yet its lauded as the greatest title race ever. The reality is there was only ever going to be one winner. Did anyone actually believe man city would slip up?

Man Utd’s team cost more and England have 4 European finalists which kind of defeats your points, they do have excellent marketing tho

18 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

This is true. For all Leeds fans sing their 'WACCOE' song week in, week out, there were two teams in their division this season who actually, really have been champions of Europe. Although I obviously have a massive bias going on, it is still annoying how the presumption that they are too big to not be in the PL is made so often about them. Relatively speaking they are a real failure of a club - I believe Leeds is the largest city in Europe to only have one (professional) team yet their 'legendary' crowds are for the most part fairly mediocre.

There was an interesting post on their forum (so I've been told - of course, perish the thought that I'd ever go on there myself) that seems to acknowledge what a lot of people have said for years which is that the pressure of expectation is so massive on Leeds players that such positivity as can be created by the crowd at Elland Rd actually works against them, confusing support for aggression. I have thought for a long time that the key to them really moving forward would be to lose that sense of entitlement, but (as anyone who lives or works amongst Leeds fans will testify) it is so completely endemic in their support, it will continue to be a problem for them.

What an absolute crock of crap this post is. I don’t know where to start with pulling your bitterness apart. Laughable.

3 hours ago, macy37 said:

What an absolute crock of crap this post is. I don’t know where to start with pulling your bitterness apart. Laughable.

Why would I be bitter? That implies that I'm somehow wishing I supported a "bigger" club, which is frequently the argument that comes back from Leeds fans & somewhat proves the point I'm making.

9 hours ago, dan cake said:

Man Utd’s team cost more and England have 4 European finalists which kind of defeats your points, they do have excellent marketing tho

In what way does England having four finalist defeat my point about city being the only obvious winner?  It was never the title race sky made it out to be. 

Congrats to England indeed, they get four teams into the CL groups every season, in other words they get a helping hand. By the law of averages and the money they have in that league, they were eventually going to have a season where they dominate Europe.

Its overhyped garbage which unfortunately people buy into. Many countries including Scotland suffer because fans would rather watch a game they think is entertaining but in reality its garbage.

On another note there were 4 English players on the park that piece of English football history yesterday

4 hours ago, macy37 said:

You could always present an opinion instead of being a twat. In fact I cant remember you posting a semi coherent opinion of your own, your posts tend to be shitting all over other opinions without offering one yourself. 

If anything you're one of the most bitter posters on the tamb

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

In what way does England having four finalist defeat my point about city being the only obvious winner?  It was never the title race sky made it out to be. 

Congrats to England indeed, they get four teams into the CL groups every season, in other words they get a helping hand. By the law of averages and the money they have in that league, they were eventually going to have a season where they dominate Europe.

Its overhyped garbage which unfortunately people buy into. Many countries including Scotland suffer because fans would rather watch a game they think is entertaining but in reality its garbage.

On another note there were 4 English players on the park that piece of English football history yesterday

You could always present an opinion instead of being a twat. In fact I cant remember you posting a semi coherent opinion of your own, your posts tend to be shitting all over other opinions without offering one yourself. 

The Champions League is effectively going to become a closed shop. The most recent proposals show the utter disregard for all but the top few leagues. 

European club football is pretty much pointless for Scottish clubs now other than to try and generate a couple of quid. 

Of the last 25 CLs the winners have come from the 4 big leagues every time except for twice. The most recent winner outwith them was Jose's Porto team, which were then picked apart by the vultures. 

I have not been following the English football recently but note that Man City won the FA cup 6-0 yesterday. If that was Celtic winning the Scottish cup by that margin people would say it was evidence the Scottish game was predictable and competitive.

On the other hand despite Celtic running away with the title the race for Europe was good, and if Scotland had 4 champions league places and 2 Europa leagues places up for grabs the race for 4th and 6th would make the league look as competitive as any on that front.  

9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Offer up an opinion? Not one Leeds fan thinks they are too big a club to be anywhere else bar the top league, not one. That’s just one part of his post picked and ripped apart. His whole post is total and utter havering pish. 

41 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Offer up an opinion? Not one Leeds fan thinks they are too big a club to be anywhere else bar the top league, not one. That’s just one part of his post picked and ripped apart. His whole post is total and utter havering pish. 

Yes, offer up an opinion once in a while instead of saying "this post is nonsense" 

45 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

And what do you offer to counter the post? Absolutely fuck all is the answer.

You’re making a cunt of yourself again. You said I don’t offer up an opinion. My opinion is his post was pish. That’s an opinion isn’t it? Just because you disagree doesn’t mean it isn’t an opinion. Just like my opinion is that you’re a cunt. You may not agree however it’s my opinion.

I  am also correct with my opinion on this occasion too. Thank for the heartfelt concerns however.

10 minutes ago, macy37 said:

You’re making a cunt of yourself again. You said I don’t offer up an opinion. My opinion is his post was pish. That’s an opinion isn’t it? Just because you disagree doesn’t mean it isn’t an opinion. Just like my opinion is that you’re a cunt. You may not agree however it’s my opinion.

I  am also correct with my opinion on this occasion too. Thank for the heartfelt concerns however.

What an angry sad tiny man. 

Gets called out on nonsense and turns to abuse, that sums up macy37 perfectly.

21 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

A team that is being investigated for FFP too. 

32 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

What an angry sad tiny man. 

Gets called out on nonsense and turns to abuse, that sums up macy37 perfectly.

I’m neither angry nor sad. Thanks once again for the concerns however. 👍

16 hours ago, macy37 said:

Folk that diss our game should have watched that game today. 2 awful sides. 

To think some folk were touting Ross as a candidate for the Celtic job. 

To be fair the st mirren v utd game was actually worse, anyhoo it’s the big one today. Not much between these teams would love Villa to win but Derby seem to have a never say die attitude, game on

55 minutes ago, dan cake said:

To be fair the st mirren v utd game was actually worse, anyhoo it’s the big one today. Not much between these teams would love Villa to win but Derby seem to have a never say die attitude, game on

Easy Villa win if they score 1st and early. The 2 league games were a mismatch. Derby have been poor this season in possibly the poorest champiinship in years. 

Saying that, im disappointed not to be going today, but with my Wembley record of being there 4 times and seeing 4 losses Derby are probobly glad im not there...  

Dwrby will have to hope Villa freeze, or Wilson hits a few free kick screamers to have a chance. 

I get the feeling McGinn will win the midfield and let Grealish run the show. 

Just now, Toepoke said:

Scotland player scores the winner for the 2nd year in a row.

Must have a good record?

Mind Pearson scored the winner for Derby a few years back.

Did Charlie Adam score for Blackpool?

Would also be surprised if Ross Mccormack hasn’t at least scored in a final?