English football - do you watch it reguarly? - Page 15 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English football - do you watch it reguarly?

Isn't it the same every year a team wins it? sky spew out the greatest epl team ever line. 

Morinhos Chelsea

Fergie's man utd when they won the treble

Peps man city

Wenger's invincibles

It's boring as fuck but unfortunately not enough people see through the bull shit marketing 

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Exactly.

The EPL isn’t the best league in the world, it’s the best promoted and marketed league in the world.

The things that supposedly make it brilliant are the exact same things that supposedly make our league Mickey Mouse.

The chasing pack have indeed been poor and the top two just kept on winning until they were 25 points clear of the rest. It came down to just one point between the top two in the end with the title changing hands a couple of times during the day. We could be talking  about our league there more than once, but that lot down south make it out to be some incredible once in a lifetime show of magic.

What makes our league Mickey Mouse is the way everything is geared up for only two teams, particularly evident in the way matches are refereed.

3 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

City deserved champions and credit to Liverpool for putting up such a fight. Incredible to think that 97 points isn’t enough to win the title. Both sides miles ahead of the rest of the league and they’ve served up an incredibly exciting run-in.  Pundits are drooling over all of this with many pointing out this is what makes the EPL the best in the world.

But......

When it happens in Scotland (and it has happened several times in the last 15 years or so) then EXACTLY the same scenario, EXACTLY the same exciting finish has been used to demean Scottish football and as proof it’s a Mickey Mouse league.

The salivating and virtual wanking over the title race in England has gone into overdrive.  Whereas when it happens up here it’s proof our league is shite.

Which is it to be? It can’t be both.

You can't be serious with this sh*t. Remind us again how many different winners of the top flight there has been in the top flight in Scotland and England since 1986? Scottish football is tiresome and sh*t because too many folk (fans, media - print and sky basically) are content in the belief that only 2 teams must compete for the hounours. It's nauseating.

11 hours ago, JECK said:

You can't be serious with this sh*t. Remind us again how many different winners of the top flight there has been in the top flight in Scotland and England since 1986? Scottish football is tiresome and sh*t because too many folk (fans, media - print and sky basically) are content in the belief that only 2 teams must compete for the hounours. It's nauseating.

I can and I am. Perhaps you should re-read my post and understand what I am actually saying.

Clue: I’m not comparing EPL with SP nor am I saying SP is as good.

10 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

I can and I am. Perhaps you should re-read my post and understand what I am actually saying.

Clue: I’m not comparing EPL with SP nor am I saying SP is as good.

Put it this way if next season the 2 arsehole clubs finish 20 points ahead of the rest of the league and it goes to the last day that to me would be clear evidence of Mickey Mouse given that no other club has managed a league win since 1985.

Growing up in Aberdeen where every kid pretty much supported Aberdeen at the time (Fergie era as well) tonnes of folk at school had an English team (not myself as football did not interest me at the time) and that is what 90% of the football banter was actually about.

Since then the English game has been marketed superbly... almost as badly as our game has been.

What killed the Scottish game was the era of absolute predictability, the two team monopoly of utter wankdom, post souness, using the cheque book to bludgeon the title your way every year. Their greed to win it between them every year is what snuffed out our game. It is boring. I can hardly watch it myself.

English football by contrast is the default league in so many countries after their own domestic league it is amazing. It captures people imagination... because it is not over before it starts for a start.

Didn't really have a preference between Liverpool and City but was edging towards the blue team in the end as I honestly thought Liverpool got a lot of luck and seemed destined to finish on top.

Particularly in the home game with Spurs when they were outplayed  and got an extra two points with that 92nd minute own goal.

Should also have been down to ten men against Newcastle and even in the last game with Wolves they were second best. Wolves hit the bar at 1-0 then Liverpool were awarded an offside goal.

That said the Reds were denied a stonewall penalty at home to Leicester which, if scored, would have won the game and, ultimately, the title - and let's face it what it their not to like about Klopp?

City did show a lot of nerves in the Leicester game when I really didn't see the goal coming - but they were still  the better side in that match.

Coming on the same day as the increasingly bitter Old Firm fixture, how refreshing it was  to hear  managers and players of both sides compliment their respective rivals once the matter had been settled. They showed the dignity lacking in the Glasgow derby.

Edited by Catchart Circle
error

On 13 May 2019 at 2:17 PM, RenfrewBlue said:

This little video after the Liverpool game this weekend made me smile. And there was a wee speck of dust in my, nothing else. Right? 

I love shit like that.  Trent Alexander Arnold was still stripped an hour after the game and putting crosses in for his mates to score in the Kop end. 

31 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Dirty dirty Leeds currently 3-2 down to Frank Lampards derby, good game (as Brucie would say)

Was a cracking game! 6 goals, 2 reds. Play-offs are magic! 👍🏼

Didnt see that coming after Saturday. 

The media will love it, Terry v Lampard. 

As for Leeds, how on earth have they made such a mess of promotion after being in the top 2 for most of the season? Another season in the championship wont please the owner. 

29 minutes ago, Dairbee said:

Didnt see that coming after Saturday. 

The media will love it, Terry v Lampard. 

As for Leeds, how on earth have they made such a mess of promotion after being in the top 2 for most of the season? Another season in the championship wont please the owner. 

If I manage to stop laughing this side of August, I'll try to reply 😁

On 5/15/2019 at 10:21 PM, Toepoke said:

15 years outside the top flight, way too long for a club the size of Leeds.

No its not. They would have been promoted if they were good enough 

On 5/17/2019 at 9:13 AM, RenfrewBlue said:

No its not. They would have been promoted if they were good enough 

This is true. For all Leeds fans sing their 'WACCOE' song week in, week out, there were two teams in their division this season who actually, really have been champions of Europe. Although I obviously have a massive bias going on, it is still annoying how the presumption that they are too big to not be in the PL is made so often about them. Relatively speaking they are a real failure of a club - I believe Leeds is the largest city in Europe to only have one (professional) team yet their 'legendary' crowds are for the most part fairly mediocre.

There was an interesting post on their forum (so I've been told - of course, perish the thought that I'd ever go on there myself) that seems to acknowledge what a lot of people have said for years which is that the pressure of expectation is so massive on Leeds players that such positivity as can be created by the crowd at Elland Rd actually works against them, confusing support for aggression. I have thought for a long time that the key to them really moving forward would be to lose that sense of entitlement, but (as anyone who lives or works amongst Leeds fans will testify) it is so completely endemic in their support, it will continue to be a problem for them.