English football - do you watch it reguarly? - Page 12 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English football - do you watch it reguarly?

13 hours ago, dan cake said:

Worlds oldest professional club (Notts County) relegated to non league football after 157 years, shame

A sad day, although technically just 131 years since the league started.

I wonder when we'll lose one of the original Scottish League teams through the pyramid?

36 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I wonder when we'll lose one of the original Scottish League teams through the pyramid?

Not an original (since 1955) or really Scottish but Berwick Rangers could be heading out the league shortly 

Edited by dan cake

15 hours ago, dan cake said:

Worlds oldest professional club (Notts County) relegated to non league football after 157 years, shame

Very sad about County - a side whose supporters you have to have respect for. Forest (obviously traditionally a far more successful club) is just the other side of the river Trent. The County supporters club bar is actually the designated away pub when you play at Forest.

Alan Sillitoe (one of the 'Angry Young Men', author of 'Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' - IMHO, the best short story ever written & a County fan) wrote a story called 'The Match' which was based on a Notts County game (a defeat at home to Bristol City if I remember right) - he grew up on The Meadows estate (their ground is Meadow Lane).

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

Very sad about County - a side whose supporters you have to have respect for. Forest (obviously traditionally a far more successful club) is just the other side of the river Trent. The County supporters club bar is actually the designated away pub when you play at Forest.

Alan Sillitoe (one of the 'Angry Young Men', author of 'Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' - IMHO, the best short story ever written & a County fan) wrote a story called 'The Match' which was based on a Notts County game (a defeat at home to Bristol City if I remember right) - he grew up on The Meadows estate (their ground is Meadow Lane).

Indeed, I recall when County signed Iain "Cowboy" McCulloch from Killie in 1978 and spent a few years in the old Division 1, where he was their top scorer for a couple of seasons.

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Only Celtic Dumbarton St Mirren  and hertz still in the league system 

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

Berwick are down. Gone. 6/1 at start of season has softened the blow and paid for my train to Aberdeen next week. What a mess the club is in.

It’s no looking good at all, but if by some miracle they manage to stay up, I’d be delighted. Shielfield is easily the best away day of the season - train down for the Edinburgh City games, decent choice of pubs, the wee man always gets a lift over the turnstile and fish and chips before catching the train back up the road 👍🏼

14 hours ago, McTeeko said:

It’s no looking good at all, but if by some miracle they manage to stay up, I’d be delighted. Shielfield is easily the best away day of the season - train down for the Edinburgh City games, decent choice of pubs, the wee man always gets a lift over the turnstile and fish and chips before catching the train back up the road 👍🏼

Lift over the turnstile? No wonder we are fucked, pay up ya tight cunt!😂

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

Lift over the turnstile? No wonder we are fucked, pay up ya tight cunt!😂

Hey it’s under their orders! I always buy a couple of extra 50/50 tickets once over though 😉

Edited by McTeeko

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Hey it’s under their orders! I always buy a couple of extra 50/50 tickets once over though 😉

You’ll not be seeing us next season unfortunately. Not a chance in hell we’ll stay up. Game will be over after the 1st leg.

19 hours ago, McTeeko said:

What football should be all about.  He’ll have memories to treasure for life, but sadly by the time he’s grown up that’s probably all he’ll have as the game overall is heading down a very bad path. Following a lower league club maybe gives him half a chance of still being able to replicate this with his own kids.

I’m trying to create similar memories with my boy, we have season tickets at Cardiff city, but it’s just not the same any more. The EPL has sanitised everything to the point where the fun and enjoyment of the day has gone out of it. In actual fact he prefers going to see Newport  County with his pal.

He is looking forward to the Cyprus game at Hampden though, his second Scotland game. Probably more to do with the adventure of a weekend in Scotland just the two of us than the game itself though!

20 hours ago, McTeeko said:

45 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

What football should be all about.  He’ll have memories to treasure for life, but sadly by the time he’s grown up that’s probably all he’ll have as the game overall is heading down a very bad path. Following a lower league club maybe gives him half a chance of still being able to replicate this with his own kids.

I’m trying to create similar memories with my boy, we have season tickets at Cardiff city, but it’s just not the same any more. The EPL has sanitised everything to the point where the fun and enjoyment of the day has gone out of it. In actual fact he prefers going to see Newport  County with his pal.

He is looking forward to the Cyprus game at Hampden though, his second Scotland game. Probably more to do with the adventure of a weekend in Scotland just the two of us than the game itself though!

Fitba with kids is brilliant. The raw emotion and passion that they can release is brilliant to see. 

My boy couldn’t go to a game last year as he was ill and my wife said I looked genuinely upset about having to go myself, absolutely love going to the games with him. 

3 hours ago, macy37 said:

You’ll not be seeing us next season unfortunately. Not a chance in hell we’ll stay up. Game will be over after the 1st leg.

Will be a real shame to see Berwick out the league. Apart from surprisingly beating Peterhead they've been woeful. Only chance they have is if Cove don't want to come up.

8 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Will be a real shame to see Berwick out the league. Apart from surprisingly beating Peterhead they've been woeful. Only chance they have is if Cove don't want to come up.

Shame? I can’t feel for the club, anger yes but I can’t feel sorry about the situation. This has been coming for the last 4/5 years due to woeful people at the helm. Us being 6/1 to finish bottom was ridiculous odds. A shambles of a club. 

14 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

I can't see that being the case. I was speaking to a player with another Highland League team at the weekend, and he says Cove are very keen to go up, and they have spent a lot of money on their stadium and players etc, with that being the target.

12 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Good article in the times at the weekend regarding Cove, very ambitious with good financial backing.Gutted for any fan whose club drops out but far too many just treading water 

Oh well looks bleak for Berwick then.

A big financial risk for highland league teams coming up with travel cost, would need to get to championship as quickly as possible to be worth while I'd imagine.

Wasn't there a highland league team recently who didn't try a leg in play off to avoid coming up? 

10 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Good article in the times at the weekend regarding Cove, very ambitious with good financial backing.Gutted for any fan whose club drops out but far too many just treading water 

That's the point of the pyramid, clubs treading water no longer have a safety blanket. 

Cove's ranks are filled with ex Aberdeen players who didn't make it in the pro game. Theres a rumour that Fraser is about to join them but surely that cant be true.

Cove arr very well run but their committee is full of bell ends who lose their shit when they lose 

16 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

A big financial risk for highland league teams coming up with travel cost, would need to get to championship as quickly as possible to be worth while I'd imagine.

Wasn't there a highland league team recently who didn't try a leg in play off to avoid coming up? 

Brora apparently. Saturday will be embarrassing for us I feel. 

49 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Travel will not be a problem. It'll be easier for Cove to get to all League Two grounds than to Wick, Brora or Fort William.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, Toepoke said:

Indeed, I recall when County signed Iain "Cowboy" McCulloch from Killie in 1978 and spent a few years in the old Division 1, where he was their top scorer for a couple of seasons.

He was called up a couple of times by Jock Stein but was unlucky never to play wasn't he ?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

That's the point of the pyramid, clubs treading water no longer have a safety blanket. 

Cove's ranks are filled with ex Aberdeen players who didn't make it in the pro game. Theres a rumour that Fraser is about to join them but surely that cant be true.

Cove arr very well run but their committee is full of bell ends who lose their shit when they lose 

Fraser?