English football - do you watch it reguarly? - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English football - do you watch it reguarly?

I cant remember the last time I watched a really engaging English game, the excitement level has definitely drifted off recently.  I much prefer watching foreign football to Everton v Bournemouth or whatever.  The Real Betis-Real Madrid game last night was totally engaging, a superb game.  Milan winning with an injury time goal away to Udinese a few weeks ago was tremendous end to end stuff.  Napoli's late winner away to Juve at the end of last season to keep them in the title hunt had me out of my chair cheering.  Dortmund are a great attacking team to watch.  Despite PSG's dominance, Ligue Un has been brilliant in recent years (although not so much this season) with Monaco & Marseille coming close to winning it.  The Boca-River Plate final a few weeks ago was one of the best games I've seen in ages.

I just cant get the same level of excitement for the typical English game - too many teams either win at a canter, or are dull & defensive beyond belief.  

21 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I saw that McTominay was not even on the bench for Manure v Tottenham.today. is he injured? 

20 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

He's just came on as a sub.

Classic :lol: 

3 hours ago, Shotts56 said:

I cant remember the last time I watched a really engaging English game, the excitement level has definitely drifted off recently.  I much prefer watching foreign football to Everton v Bournemouth or whatever.  The Real Betis-Real Madrid game last night was totally engaging, a superb game.  Milan winning with an injury time goal away to Udinese a few weeks ago was tremendous end to end stuff.  Napoli's late winner away to Juve at the end of last season to keep them in the title hunt had me out of my chair cheering.  Dortmund are a great attacking team to watch.  Despite PSG's dominance, Ligue Un has been brilliant in recent years (although not so much this season) with Monaco & Marseille coming close to winning it.  The Boca-River Plate final a few weeks ago was one of the best games I've seen in ages.

I just cant get the same level of excitement for the typical English game - too many teams either win at a canter, or are dull & defensive beyond belief.  

I think a big part of the difference that you describe can be attributed to passion and the subsequent atmosphere. I watched a bit of Spurs - Man U yesterday and after Rashford scored he wheeled away and theres a good number of people in the spurs end with phones out presumably videoing and taking photo's of Rashford for whatever reason. Contrast that with the atmosphere in Seville for Betis - Madrid and it's night and day and that certainly makes it more engaging for me as an outsider to watch. 

On 1/10/2019 at 9:39 PM, Huddersfield said:

It was very hard being a Town fan when I was a kid. I started school in 1969, & we were promoted to the top flight in 1970, so that was fine but we dropped through all 4 divisions between 1972 & 1975. My 5 years at secondary school (1975-80) coincided with the 5 years we spent in the 4th division.

In those days it was all Leeds & Liverpool. I think at it's worst there were barely a few dozen of us in a school of around 2000 kids that were dedicated Town fans & yes we got loads of grief; in no small part that fuels my enduring hatred of Leeds!

The one time that sticks in my head away from school was the Leeds - Bayern Munich European Cup Final. I was sat at home watching it & (of course) supporting Munich which my Mum couldn't get her head around at all..."what, you're supporting bloody Germans over a Yorkshire team? Really?"

Oddly we've never had many Scottish teams at our place. The one that sticks in the mind, which I think I started a thread about with the programme a while ago was Killie coming for a friendly in 1978 & that was a very lively day. I was only 14, but know that all our 'lads' were out & about that day & I think Killie brought a few lively characters as well.

Thanks for the reply Huddersfield. :ok:

That you've not had all that many Scottish teams going down for friendly matches really surprised me. 

By the way, David Wagner leaving, the right thing for your club or a big mistake ?

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Thanks for the reply Huddersfield. :ok:

That you've not had all that many Scottish teams going down for friendly matches really surprised me. 

By the way, David Wagner leaving, the right thing for your club or a big mistake ?

We've actually played up in Scotland more than we've had Scottish teams down here - I think we've done 2 or 3 pre-season tours over the last 10-15 years. I usually miss them through holidays, but I did get to Dunfermline for a game a few years back.

Wagner will never need to buy a drink in Huddersfield as long as he lives - the guy is an absolute legend & rarely for modern managers, seems to have left in an honourable way. It sounds like he has reached a bit of a tipping point (we have had some truly appalling decisions of late & you can see how the league is rigged against smaller clubs, but he seemed genuinely close to tears on Saturday after we were given a penalty & then the ref changed his mind). Our chairman has been pretty straight that the club owes him enough not to sack him, so I think it's a genuine 'mutual agreement' not a euphemistic one.

Anyway, we are going down with or without him, so I don't think in practical terms it will make much difference to us. We need to recruit someone with the same common sense he had who can spend the parachute money wisely. However, if we end up trekking to Colchester for a Tuesday night game...it's nowt I won't cope with :)

Got Now TV and cancelled my ticket about a month into the season because I went about three weekends barely watching ten minutes. Got it for three months for £20 a month so kept it but made sure I cancelled it before it went back up.

Fancied Spurs v Man U so bought a week pass but even though the game was ok ended up playing snakes n ladders with the wee lass within 20 minutes. Maybe it was the novelty or not knowing much about it but I watched the NFL game and enjoyed it far more - if it wasn’t for being on late would have watched the whole thing.

Flicked on to Man City last night mostly down to getting my money worth and lost interest pretty much straight away as it was just a passing drill.

The Wolves sending off was totally bananas to me but it seems genuinely accepted as the correct decision.

2 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

You sure you maybe just don't like football?

I love football. Almost never watch EPL though as it's dull as fuck. 

Scottish folk who claim to "support" English teams are weirdos IMO. 

2 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

You sure you maybe just don't like football?

Do any of us really?

It's like a drug addiction - you get a couple of hits when you're too young to know any better. It feels great & you get a real buzz out of it, but before you know it, the misery of being drawn to whatever crap you have to watch in the pouring rain, praying for it to finish, takes over. You promise yourself you'll stop...find something better to do...but it never happens & come Saturday, off we go again.

7 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Do any of us really?

It's like a drug addiction - you get a couple of hits when you're too young to know any better. It feels great & you get a real buzz out of it, but before you know it, the misery of being drawn to whatever crap you have to watch in the pouring rain, praying for it to finish, takes over. You promise yourself you'll stop...find something better to do...but it never happens & come Saturday, off we go again.

Choose life.....

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I love football. Almost never watch EPL though as it's dull as fuck. 

Scottish folk who claim to "support" English teams are weirdos IMO. 

Can't disagree with your second point. Even worse are fans of Scottish clubs who have an English team they support as well.

I'd rather watch La Liga or the Bundesliga myself, but I'll entertain the EPL if there's a decent looking game on.

• 1 month later...

Leicester have got a pretty decent squad imo, good enough to be closer to Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea than the rest of the teams outside the traditional top 6. If they want Rodgers and he wants to go then if they could facilitate an arrangement for him to leave at the end of the season then I'd accept it.

29 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Probably not a big enough job to tempt him although the Chelsea job might also be available later this afternoon 

I don't believe any of the big 6 would take him straight from Celtic. More likely a Leicester or Southampton first, then move on to a bigger job if he does well.

2 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Yes, so I'm hoping that the pull of being the one who could possibly take us to 10 in a row will be enough to keep him here. 

If he does want to stay he could well use this as leverage to get a bit more out of Lawell & Dermot. I've come round to the view he'll probably go in the summer of late...... hopefully not.

19 minutes ago, slasher said:

If he does want to stay he could well use this as leverage to get a bit more out of Lawell & Dermot. I've come round to the view he'll probably go in the summer of late...... hopefully not.

I had accepted it in August after that shambles of a transfer window.

He's still young though, plenty of time to go back down there. Potentially doing the 10 with us is once in a lifetime.