English football - do you watch it reguarly? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English football - do you watch it reguarly?

3 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

What if he'd played for Morton? 

lol, that was just coincidence as I was watching Arsenal before he was with them.

if he’d played for that lot from the arse of the bank I would have divorced his sister immediately. 

Yes, watch it a fair bit. 

Me and one of my laddies watch MOTD most Sunday mornings. He  is an Arsenal fan. We have been to see them in London and 3 times in the North East of England. We are both also in a FF league so a lot of MOTD viewing is based around seeing what points we could have had. Will watch a decent bit of EPL on Sky when I can. i watch the odd Scottish/Celtic game but not very often. For my sins I also watch, and enjoy, CL football on BT too. Shoot me now.

When I was younger I used to go and watch Newcastle a fair bit due to where I lived. Most of my mates were Rangers fans so it was a team we could go and watch together. I still look out for them and watch them the odd time live.

To balance it up a bit, my oldest is a Pars season ticket holder for the last couple of seasons but has little to no interest in any other football. My and my next lad, the Arsenal fan, are out and about most weekends at a local game.  Our Saturdays can sometimes consist of lunchtime EPL game, local game (I have a Kelty season ticket but attend other games in the area too if they are away), teatime EPL game. My youngest plays on a Sunday but rarely watches football.

50 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Congrats, you are now a Kilmarnock fan.

Luckily for you we are just about to win the league.

Image result for steve clarke

Kilmarnock it is !! The previous suggestion was essentially an English team and I have one of those already. Only down side is that I dont know anyone that supports Ayr that I can verbally abuse !! I believe we also have the best pies  ? 

My dad had a thing for Arsenal and they were my local team for a good few years, so I'll always try and watch there games if they are on, but generally I don't watch as much English football as I used to.

It's sanitised and diluted, it's completely abondoned the working classes and almost every pundit and commentator on BT and Sky is insufferable and knows nothing about modern football. 

Scottish football might be a lot of things, but there is still a connection between the clubs, the fans and the communities they serve and the abondonment of those values by the majority of English clubs is to the detriment of the game down there.

Everton were my English club growing up. Maybe a generation thing, but in the 80s as a lad everyone had their team, then their English team. So I followed Everton as they always had a good Scottish connection - Sharp/Gray, Big Dunc, Naisy among plenty others. 

Been down a few times over the years, but I’ve not been since the 3-3 draw with Liverpool in 2013.

In fact I’ve even played at Goodison for a Scotland celeb-Select v England celeb-Select after winning a competition in 1997, we played a 60 minute match before Dave Watson’s Testimonial v Rangers. Got beat 2-0, John Leslie in goals with a shocker for the second goal 🙈

Last season me and the wee man went down to see Hull City three times as they’re HIS English team. When I started taking him to the Scotland games Snoddy was his favourite player and he asked me who he played for at the time. Fair do’s, even though Snoddy has played for two other sides since he’s carried on the Hull thing 👍🏼

Edited by McTeeko

1 hour ago, Nobby said:

Kilmarnock it is !! The previous suggestion was essentially an English team and I have one of those already. Only down side is that I dont know anyone that supports Ayr that I can verbally abuse !! I believe we also have the best pies  ? 

If it's any consolation I don't know many Ayr fans either!

I prefer abusing the old firm anyway!

20 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Everton were my English club growing up. Maybe a generation thing, but in the 80s as a lad everyone had their team, then their English team. So I followed Everton as they always had a good Scottish connection - Sharp/Gray, Big Dunc, Naisy among plenty others. 

Been down a few times over the years, but I’ve not been since the 3-3 draw with Liverpool in 2013.

In fact I’ve even played at Goodison for a Scotland celeb-Select v England celeb-Select after winning a competition in 1997, we played a 60 minute match before Dave Watson’s Testimonial v Rangers. Got beat 2-0, John Leslie in goals with a shocker for the second goal 🙈

Last season me and the wee man went down to see Hull City three times as they’re HIS English team. When I started taking him to the Scotland games Snoddy was his favourite player and he asked me who he played for at the time. Fair do’s, even though Snoddy has played for two other sides since he’s carried on the Hull thing 👍🏼

Same here.  I "picked" Everton where there started being loads of transfers between them and Rangers in the early 90s, Gary Stevens, Trevor Steven, Stuart McCall, Ian Durrant, Duncan Ferguson, Paul Rideout, Mo Johnston etc etc etc.  Finally managed my first visit to Goodison at the end of last year for a game v Fulham.  The view was atrocious!!  

Never had one and never will. My dad used to follow Crystal Palace a lot until 5 kids put a stop to that 😂

Rarely ever watch motd or a full game, simply doesn’t interest me enough and I’m generally pissed off at that time of the night because at least one of the games has ruined my coupon. 

I’ve been to old Trafford once, we were at a Madness gig in Blackpool on the Friday night and my mate managed to blag 3 tickets to a game against Blackburn. They won 7-1 and Berbativ scored 5 of them, which may still be a pl record. I spent the second half down in the concourse, yapping to a steward from Glasgow and scooping bottles of magners, ‘‘twas a great day out. 

On a slight tangent, I’m currently reading Peter Crouch’ book, he’s a pretty funny guy if anyone is looking for a decent read. 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If it's any consolation I don't know many Ayr fans either!

I prefer abusing the old firm anyway!

That’s a great point, as a St Mirren I can only think of 2 Morton fans that I actually know. None of whom are on my phone contact list.

St Mirren/ Morton rivalry is a strange one, as there’s probably half a dozen clubs closer to Paisley than the 15 miles down the road to Greenock.

Go back to the early eighties when Scottish Football and English Football was much of muchness... since then the English FA / game has been managed very well and the Scottish FA have in contrast been horrific. I honestly think the SFA are keener on killing Scottish Football than promoting it, seriously. All we had to do was ride their coattails and the state of Scottish football would be a very different picture to today. Look at the money they get versus what we get for a whole season. English football is the default football for the world. Barry Hearn nailed it. All the folk in charge of our game a criminally incompetent, and should have been sacked a long time ago. They could not have fucked this up so bad by accident, no way.

I used to watch Blackpool for a number of years in the 1990s - was good fun going to away games as well like Bury, York etc - but when they made the stadium all seater stopped going to most matches. Went to all the play-off finals Blackpool were involved  in except for the last one. Once the Oystons took the Premiership money out the club, started running the playing side down and sued their own fans - most Blackpool supporters stopped going.

Nowadays I don't watch any live matches except going back to Scotland and watching Kirkintilloch Rob Roy in the Scottish Junior Cup. I love  watching the scores on a Saturday afternoon for my accumulators and spread betting.

Three absolutely horrible sets of fans - West Ham, Bristol City and Cardiff City.

Edited by irnbruman

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Never had one and never will. My dad used to follow Crystal Palace a lot until 5 kids put a stop to that 😂

Rarely ever watch motd or a full game, simply doesn’t interest me enough and I’m generally pissed off at that time of the night because at least one of the games has ruined my coupon. 

I’ve been to old Trafford once, we were at a Madness gig in Blackpool on the Friday night and my mate managed to blag 3 tickets to a game against Blackburn. They won 7-1 and Berbativ scored 5 of them, which may still be a pl record. I spent the second half down in the concourse, yapping to a steward from Glasgow and scooping bottles of magners, ‘‘twas a great day out. 

On a slight tangent, I’m currently reading Peter Crouch’ book, he’s a pretty funny guy if anyone is looking for a decent read. 

Every team in the premier League scored the day you're talking about. First time it happened in ages and hasn't happened since I don't think.

Pretty useless bit of trivia for you lol 

Edited by Scotland Ever More

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

That’s a great point, as a St Mirren I can only think of 2 Morton fans that I actually know. None of whom are on my phone contact list.

St Mirren/ Morton rivalry is a strange one, as there’s probably half a dozen clubs closer to Paisley than the 15 miles down the road to Greenock.

None of them are in Renfrewshire though 

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

Go back to the early eighties when Scottish Football and English Football was much of muchness... since then the English FA / game has been managed very well and the Scottish FA have in contrast been horrific. I honestly think the SFA are keener on killing Scottish Football than promoting it, seriously. All we had to do was ride their coattails and the state of Scottish football would be a very different picture to today. Look at the money they get versus what we get for a whole season. English football is the default football for the world. Barry Hearn nailed it. All the folk in charge of our game a criminally incompetent, and should have been sacked a long time ago. They could not have fucked this up so bad by accident, no way.

While I can't disagree that the game here has been run appallingly, I think English football was being administered in a distinctly amateur fashion for years compared with other major leagues in Europe,  culminating in the clusterfuck that was Hillsborough. 

They struck gold with the Premier League though, aided and abetted by Murdoch and Bosman, they have streaked ahead of most of the competition. 

I tend to skim through MOTD2 because 1) they show all the weekend's goals and 2) Lineker isn't on it. Don't go out of my way to watch any live games from down south though. Back in the 90s it was a fun Monday night out at the local but the novelty has long since worn off there.

Edited by Toepoke

15 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Aye, we're not too much further away!

PS - My brother in law is a Morton fan. He's getting dragged to Killie-Rangers after the winter break by sister though!

I follow Bradford (PA) and occasionally take in a Bradford City game. I used to also take in the odd Huddersfield Town game but haven't been for a couple of years. I watch the Scottish championship games on BBC Alba and I each the first half of the Saturday lunch time conference national game on BT sport. I also watch MOTD on Sunday morning and the EFL on Quest I can't watch EPL match's it's like watching chess and the experts telling me how great a game I'm watching. If only they would give me a pound for every time they say it is the best league in the world.

Ian

On 1/8/2019 at 10:40 PM, Huddersfield said:

Yup.

Ruined my bloody life they have. More than once.

Given the team that life foisted upon me, I've generally been more connected to the lower divisions & still hark back to legging my lad off school to do Tuesday night away trips to the likes of Yeovil, Dagenham, Hartlepool, etc.

Having seen my first ever EPL games over the last couple of years, I'd say that the fun of seeing top-class players batter you every week soon wears off, the 'showcase' element of every match is just boring & away trips to most of the top teams is sterile & feels very anti-football to me. Old Trafford is honestly one of the worst footballing experiences there is. I saw Town at Chelsea in the 80s (frightening) & a few times recently (dull).

I like the idea of supporting a top-flight team but aren't convinced that I'd be overly bothered if we dropped down. I can't imagine I'll give the EPL a second thought once we're out of it - my eye tends to drift towards non-league if I've got a free Saturday. In fact, I was at the legendary Ashton-u-Lyne derby game on New Years Day (Ashton Utd v Curzon Ashton) which if nothing else was worth it for the pie & chips.

Probably a stupid question on my part but when you were a lad Huddersfield, was there ever any pressure from your pals at school or extended family to support one of the other Yorkshire teams like Leeds, Sheffield United or Wednesday ?

You must have had plenty of Scottish teams down through the years coming to Leeds Rd and now the Kirkless Stadium to play friendlies ? Did anyone bring down a particularly big support ? I believe that at Bradford vs. Aberdeen and Leeds vs. Hibernian fixtures in the past things got a bit "naughty" between the fans.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, hoofitharder said:

I follow Bradford (PA) and occasionally take in a Bradford City game. I used to also take in the odd Huddersfield Town game but haven't been for a couple of years. I watch the Scottish championship games on BBC Alba and I each the first half of the Saturday lunch time conference national game on BT sport. I also watch MOTD on Sunday morning and the EFL on Quest I can't watch EPL match's it's like watching chess and the experts telling me how great a game I'm watching. If only they would give me a pound for every time they say it is the best league in the world.

Ian

I've been to the odd Bradford PA game as well. They have a nice setup there. I avoid Bradford City like the plague, of course, some things have to be done :)

Having said that, I used to work quite a bit with the charity they run (One In A Million) & in their space at Valley Parade there is (or was) a really nice model of the ground as it was around 1910.

29 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Probably a stupid question on my part but when you were a lad Huddersfield, was there ever any pressure from your pals at school or extended family to support one of the other Yorkshire teams like Leeds, Sheffield United or Wednesday ?

You must have had plenty of Scottish teams down through the years coming to Leeds Rd and now the Kirkless Stadium to play friendlies ? Did anyone bring down a particularly big support ? I believe that at Bradford vs. Aberdeen and Leeds vs. Hibernian fixtures in the past things got a bit "naughty" between the fans.

It was very hard being a Town fan when I was a kid. I started school in 1969, & we were promoted to the top flight in 1970, so that was fine but we dropped through all 4 divisions between 1972 & 1975. My 5 years at secondary school (1975-80) coincided with the 5 years we spent in the 4th division.

In those days it was all Leeds & Liverpool. I think at it's worst there were barely a few dozen of us in a school of around 2000 kids that were dedicated Town fans & yes we got loads of grief; in no small part that fuels my enduring hatred of Leeds!

The one time that sticks in my head away from school was the Leeds - Bayern Munich European Cup Final. I was sat at home watching it & (of course) supporting Munich which my Mum couldn't get her head around at all..."what, you're supporting bloody Germans over a Yorkshire team? Really?"

Oddly we've never had many Scottish teams at our place. The one that sticks in the mind, which I think I started a thread about with the programme a while ago was Killie coming for a friendly in 1978 & that was a very lively day. I was only 14, but know that all our 'lads' were out & about that day & I think Killie brought a few lively characters as well.

Growing up I used to watch every match that was on Sky, but nowadays I don't really have time for it.

Ironically, more matches are shown now, but I watch a lot less than I used to.

It depends if there's a Scot playing. I try to watch as many Liverpool matches as I can.

There's so many boring matchups in in the EPL, so I cherry pick the ones to watch.

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

Growing up I used to watch every match that was on Sky, but nowadays I don't really have time for it.

Ironically, more matches are shown now, but I watch a lot less than I used to.

It depends if there's a Scot playing. I try to watch as many Liverpool matches as I can.

There's so many boring matchups in in the EPL, so I cherry pick the ones to watch.

I don’t get this watching Liverpool just to see Robertson play.