English football - do you watch it reguarly? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English football - do you watch it reguarly?

Are you a fan of the EPL and EFL? Do you watch it regularly? Do you even have a 'team' there?

I would watch both our league and the English league every week, and often every Super Sunday etc there was ; but the last 3-4 years I've found my interest in their football to dwindle down to not much at all - often don't even bother with Match Of The Day. I'll still watch the odd big game and if I am in a setting where there's an English game on I'll watch it ; but if given the choice of watching e.g Everton v Spurs or Killie v Rangers ; I'd pick the Scottish game every time.

Each to their own and that, but hearing Scottish people say ''we'' about Man Utd, etc really does craw a bit.

Not for years, but my general interest in all football, apart from Scotland has went way down. 

Watched the Liverpool v Man City game there, mainly to see Roberton, don’t get me wrong it was a decent game but not half as good as the media made out. 

When Messi retires I’ll have even less interest in club football. 

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

Are you a fan of the EPL and EFL? Do you watch it regularly? Do you even have a 'team' there?

I would watch both our league and the English league every week, and often every Super Sunday etc there was ; but the last 3-4 years I've found my interest in their football to dwindle down to not much at all - often don't even bother with Match Of The Day. I'll still watch the odd big game and if I am in a setting where there's an English game on I'll watch it ; but if given the choice of watching e.g Everton v Spurs or Killie v Rangers ; I'd pick the Scottish game every time.

Each to their own and that, but hearing Scottish people say ''we'' about Man Utd, etc really does craw a bit.

Not really. 

I don't have Sky or BT so don't get it at home non-stop. 

I do go to Deepdale sometimes to watch PNE but don't get too upset when they lose. 

I'm planning a trip to another Championship side next month but that's only because I'm in a box 🍻

4 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Tried desperately to get my lad to love the Rangers, however he is a season ticket holder at Old Trafford and a full 52 seater travels from Glesga every home game... I put it down to his Catholic choice of school for secondary education..😁

I can't honestly remember the last time I watched an English game, or even highlights (other than England World Cup knockout stage games), must be years now... 

Edited by exile

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

In saying that, the Netflix documentaries, on Sunderland and especially Salford were good. 

There is a documentary on Celtic v Rangers on Netflix.  It's called "Religion in Sports" scroll through and you will find, " Defenders of the Faith" . It's actually quite good. 

Yup.

Ruined my bloody life they have. More than once.

Given the team that life foisted upon me, I've generally been more connected to the lower divisions & still hark back to legging my lad off school to do Tuesday night away trips to the likes of Yeovil, Dagenham, Hartlepool, etc.

Having seen my first ever EPL games over the last couple of years, I'd say that the fun of seeing top-class players batter you every week soon wears off, the 'showcase' element of every match is just boring & away trips to most of the top teams is sterile & feels very anti-football to me. Old Trafford is honestly one of the worst footballing experiences there is. I saw Town at Chelsea in the 80s (frightening) & a few times recently (dull).

I like the idea of supporting a top-flight team but aren't convinced that I'd be overly bothered if we dropped down. I can't imagine I'll give the EPL a second thought once we're out of it - my eye tends to drift towards non-league if I've got a free Saturday. In fact, I was at the legendary Ashton-u-Lyne derby game on New Years Day (Ashton Utd v Curzon Ashton) which if nothing else was worth it for the pie & chips.

No. I love football, but the EPL does nothing for me. I only watch the relegation playoff matches. Some cracking matches. Thing is, the only Scottish football I get here is the Celtic matches down my CSC. The Engerlish matches are shown on cable, but I have no interest. Thank god for Hesgoal.🙂

I take an interest in Blackburn and have done for years but as they are rarely on the tv being in the championship I don't see a lot of English games. Watched the semi final last night and the City/Liverpool game but think that's the only ones I've seen this season. Rarely watch the cl either now. Probably watched more Scottish championship games on BBC alba than cl recently.

I still have motd on a series link but I rarely watch that now either.

Used to follow it keenly growing up in the 70s and 80s. Couldn’t really give a fuck about their game now and hardly ever watch any of it on TV.. The odd match of the day on in the background is probably the limit. Got a few mates down south that support different teams and still attend a few games a year.  I tend to ‘cheer’ for my mates team but in my heart i really couldn’t care less if they win or lose 😂

Out of interest, if any of the other English posters on here are reading this, do you have a Scottish team that you look out for?

For me, it's been East Fife since I was about 7 or 8. In fact, I've just drunk my morning cuppa out of the mug that my lad bought me (club crest & photo of the 1938 Cup winning team on it) when we were up for a 1-1 with Stenhousemuir a few years back.

I usually fall asleep watching MOTD on a Saturday, not a reflection of what it is more of my advancing years. :lol:

I have BT but don't go out of my way to watch the Premier League games but will put them on assuming the kids/wife don't want to watch something else.

I've watched more Australian league games over the last couple of months than I have Premier League games, largely because I am the only person in the house up at that time so have the TV to myself.

Aye. Could easily take in 3 or 4  matches a week if it's on. I'll watch it more out of habit than any great interest in a specific club or the league itself. Probably a lot boils down to general peoples interest in English football and to be table to have a chat about it afterwards. Try chatting to somebody about the Hibs St Mirren game if Bournemouth have been playing Everton the night before!

Took a liking to Arsenal years ago after St Mirren played them in a friendly (1980) couple of years afterwards worked in Islington for a short time and used to go to home games. My brother in law also used to play for them.

Go over for home games when I’m not working as can I get return flights for as little as £50 return from Jersey.

Love my trips over there, but sometimes feel I’m cheating on St Mirren 😯

I probably watch, in full, 1 game every 2 weeks.  If I'm in the house pottering about on a Sunday I'll tend to have the EPL followed by the NFL on in the background.  Being honest other than Rangers games and the odd Edinburgh derby I don't watch a huge amount of Scottish football.  I rarely, if ever, watch a Celtic game (mainly because I don't want to watch them winning! :wink2:).  I used to record MOTD and watch it early on a Sunday morning as I've annoyingly became an early riser at weekends as I've got older but even now I rarely bother.

Used to watch and attend Manchester City games due to my uncle staying in Droylsden. Much preferred it when they were rooked and shite. Lost all interest these days.

I think the last full EPL game I watched was the Aguerrooooo game a few years ago. It bores the tits off me these days. 

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

For me, it's been East Fife since I was about 7 or 8. In fact, I've just drunk my morning cuppa out of the mug that my lad bought me (club crest & photo of the 1938 Cup winning team on it) when we were up for a 1-1 with Stenhousemuir a few years back.

That's where it all started for me!

My dad is an East Fife fan - Took me to my first game shortly after my Aunt buying me a red & white football kit - East Fife played a team in identical colours that day - I asked my dad who the red team were and, as they say, the rest is history!

We moved to Aberdeen with my dads work soon after that - It was meant to be :lol:

Thank god my aunt didn't buy me a blue strip, or that green & white hoopy thing......

I 'feign'  an interest simply to join in some of the chat with the guys at my work.........in reality I could not care less.

My time, money and efforts are spent (Much to my wifes annoyance - at times!) at Heathrow or on the A1 heading towards AB24

Rarely/never watch English football. Zero interest in it. 

I watched the first half of Man City vs Liverpool last week and jesus fuck that was bad. £75 million centre halves unable to pass the ball 20 yards, to a soundtrack of Martin Tyler telling us how brilliant it was. A game devoid of any real quality (the near og was the particularly shite highlight), until Aguero's excellent finish to make it 1-0. 

I turned off at HT as it was brutal. Amazing that these two are regarded as the finest two teams in England. 

4 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Out of interest, if any of the other English posters on here are reading this, do you have a Scottish team that you look out for?

Used to be Rangers when i was younger. A bloke I worked with was a season ticket holder and travelled up from London every week, but never really followed that closely to be honest. I would be happy for the TAMB to allocate me a team ;-) 

In other news due to laying in bed on a Sunday morning  

1. Collingwood are my aussie rules team

2. East Mumbai rail workers are my Kabaddi team

13 minutes ago, Nobby said:

Used to be Rangers when i was younger. A bloke I worked with was a season ticket holder and travelled up from London every week, but never really followed that closely to be honest. I would be happy for the TAMB to allocate me a team 😉

In other news due to laying in bed on a Sunday morning  

1. Collingwood are my aussie rules team

2. East Mumbai rail workers are my Kabaddi team

Berwick Rangers would be a good choice.  Based in England.  No glamour and could do with an extra fan or two.  

You're welcome :ok: