Basketball... - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Basketball...

Big Ramy 1314

Anyone follow the NBA? My son loves basketball and plays at a competitive level, as well as fitba, of course. I can't really get into it, I have tried for my son's sake, but it just does not interest me. Basketball is huge here in Canada. The Toronto Raptors have the best record in the NBA. Anyone played or have any interest? I don't even know if there are basketball courts in Scotland. 🙂

On 1/8/2019 at 2:26 AM, Scotland Ever More said:

Used to love playing it in high school but it's one of these sports that's only good to play rather than watch. Not a fan of sports that end up 116-95 with teams scoring every 5 seconds.

Had Chicago bulls and Boston Celtics tops as well 

I have a net set up in my drive for my Bhoys. It's fun to play with them, even though I am hopeless. 🤣. I can't watch it either mate. I have a Boston Celtics cap for obvious reasons. It's massive over here. 

I've been to Orlando Magic and Chicago Bulls games while in the States and it's been a cracking day/night out each time.  They really do know how to make the whole thing an event as opposed to just turning up for 90 minutes or whatever.  That being said, watching a brief highlights package on TV is more than enough for me.

I wen to Sacramento v Cleveland a couple of years ago. It was interesting enough but not something I'd rush back to. The most impressive thing was the size, speed and agility of the players which I don't think you necessarily see properly on TV. It was also good to see LeBron James - I'm a big believer in taking the opportunity to see the best in the world/of all time doing their stuff if you get the chance!

In terms of height, I was saying to the guys that I was with that the "wee guy" - Kyrie Irving -  on the court was the stand out player. I googled him and found out he was 6'2"!!

• 4 months later...

There's 30 teams in the NBA.

29 teams based in The States and 1 in Canada.

The Toronto Raptors are currently playing in the first 'cross-border' final v The Golden State Warriors (from Oakland).

Should the Raptors (currently ahead 3 games to 1) win Monday night (at home) they will become the first team outside of the U.S. to win the NBA Championship.

Needless to say, the city (here) is going bonkers, and is currently sold out of all adult size tops.

I don't think Golden State are out of this yet, I can still see 7 games.

What will be interesting is if Toronto win, will Kawhi Leonard stay? He's an absolute phenomenon that has taken Toronto to a completely different level. No one expected them to be on the verge of a title however and it was pretty much accepted that he'd just be passing through Toronto for a year before heading to LA.

So, if they win does he stay and do they try and build and regain the title or does he head back home to LA and the clippers as a hero?

Edited by Mox

1 hour ago, Mox said:

I don't think Golden State are out of this yet, I can still see 7 games.

What will be interesting is if Toronto win, will Kawhi Leonard stay? He's an absolute phenomenon that has taken Toronto to a completely different level. No one expected them to be on the verge of a title however and it was pretty much accepted that he'd just be passing through Toronto for a year before heading to LA.

So, if they win does he stay and do they try and build and regain the title or does he head back home to LA and the clippers as a hero?

Well, certainly not the Americans.

When asked at a press conference if he'd bought a house in T.O. KW responded "Not yet".

GSW have played Toronto 6 times this season and lost 5 times.

Our 'supporting cast' (including Pascal Siakam playing his way into a starting role) will be too much.

Golden State are done.

Raps in 5. 

It was funny watching the Toronto fans cheer an injury and simultaneously shock and enrage America that they would cheer someone injured, their own players had to gesture for them to be quiet.

18 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Yep.

More class in that circumstance wouldn't have gone amiss.

The outrage by the Americans is so funny though, I may have been having a wee bit fun reading it all.

Kevin Durant has been out 33 days with a calf strain and returns to play for the first time in the Finals in Game 5.

Toronto's smallest player is Freddie Vanvleet and he sustained a 7 stitch injury under his right eye in Game 4.

So, in Game 5, Durant fouls Vanvleet 4 times on the same play (which Vanvleet took exception to) but none the less stood his ground.

Durant then squares up to Vanvleet (towering over him) and proceeds to smarmily trash talk him.

Durant later suffers an achilles injury, but the Raptors fans think that he's just tweaked his calf again and cheer at the 'karma' of picking on their beloved wee player.

The players, however, realising that the injury is serious, ask the fans not to gloat (as they don't have the whole story).

watched start of game at 'not so big screen' by fort calgary ; then on to our local boston pizza sports bar for the rest (after dropping kids off)

really enjoyable to watch, and exciting all the way to the end - although i got bit confused at 0.9 sec mark after GS missed that last shot - coverage seemed to do a 'scotsport' in missing the part after the time-out to where KL was fouled ? definitely the most basketball ive watched in my life but not really a fan so some i may have missed a lot of the subtleties

I'll do my best...

'We' (the North) were up 111 -110 when we (Green) threw the ball away with 9.6 seconds left in the game.

GS inbounded (poorly) but Curry still got off a 3 (but missed).

Loose ball... Keystone Cops... GS recover with 0.9 seconds left and call a timeout (but they didn't have any left).

Technical foul against GS.

KL sinks it... 112 -110.

Raptors inbound to KL (still with 0.9 seconds on the clock) but he is fouled and the whistle goes with time still left on the clock but before he nets the ball.

Still 112-110.

KL takes his 2 foul shots and sinks both.

114-110.

GS inbound and futilely throw up an air ball that only would have been worth 3 anyway.

And The Raps are the Champs! :)