Gdansk - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gdansk

slasher

10 minutes ago, slasher said:

Full of cunts moaning in my experience. You must be a regular ☺

Or do you mean cunts that don’t tell you to visit the local Irish bar? 

Some cunt on here will no doubt recommend one, it’ll happen as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow. They’ll likely tell you it has Sky Sports too. 😂

10 hours ago, macy37 said:

Or do you mean cunts that don’t tell you to visit the local Irish bar? 

Some cunt on here will no doubt recommend one, it’ll happen as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow. They’ll likely tell you it has Sky Sports too. 😂

😂 Prefer Polish pubs maself. Especially those basement ones where there's nae phone signal or WiFi and folk need to have an actual conversation. Ground breaking stuff......it'll never catch on.

Anyway if anybody has anything worth sharing I'd be obliged, specifically if Sopot is worth a day trip. Looks quite decadent by all accounts in summer but bearing in mind it'll be February by the coast it might be a dead loss?

19 hours ago, slasher said:

Heading over there next month for a wee city break. As usual, any tambers got any gen worth sharing?

Was there this time last year mate.

Fine wee place, plenty of boozers and restaurants. Nae too busy and reasonable prices. 

Waterfront area is nice and the auld style buildings are quality (if you like that kind a thing)

I remember Gdansk's old waterfront being really busy during the day, then deserted at night. Can't remember if that was 'cause it was a school night, but did see busloads of day-trippers coming and going.   I think they were Germans coming to visit old Dansig where their recent ancestors had been booted out of.

I think WW2 kicked off in the area.   We stayed in a hotel near the post office and the story there is quite harrowing.   There's a monument outside it.   On the lighter side thought, that wee hotel's breakfast was epic.

I also learned what a vodka and coke was all about.   Poles would have one wee glass of coke for sipping throughout their meal and a bottle of voddy on ice to quench the thirst.   And another bottle after the pair had finished that during their salad starter :lol:

Regarding Sopot, we had our family summer holiday there three years ago. Fantastic place, massive beach and the longest wooden pier in Europe. Nice wee town centre too.

Going in February though, I’d expect it to be pretty dead. 

I’d no bother heading to Gydnia (the third city of the three, the area being named Tri-City) unless you like ports and harbours.

Gdansk is great for a wee city break though, very historical 👍🏼

As Grim Jim says above, the first time I took my Polish wife out in Scotland (as my girlfriend) I ordered a couple of vodka and cokes as she asked for. When I brought them back she looked as me as if I was daft as it was mixed in the same glass - they normally have a bottle of vodka and a wee shot of coke as a chaser 🙈

And dinnae even get me started on their weddings ffs - hadn’t even finished my soup and they’re pouring the second 100ml shot into my glass to be gulped down straight.....

Edited by McTeeko

9 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Regarding Sopot, we had our family summer holiday there three years ago. Fantastic place, massive beach and the longest wooden pier in Europe. Nice wee town centre too.

Going in February though, I’d expect it to be pretty dead. 

I’d no bother heading to Gydnia (the third city of the three, the area being named Tri-City) unless you like ports and harbours.

Gdansk is great for a wee city break though, very historical 👍🏼

As Grim Jim says above, the first time I took my Polish wife out in Scotland (as my girlfriend) I ordered a couple of vodka and cokes as she asked for. When I brought them back she looked as me as if I was daft as it was mixed in the same glass - they normally have a bottle of vodka and a wee shot of coke as a chaser 🙈

And dinnae even get me started on their weddings ffs - hadn’t even finished my soup and they’re pouring the second 100ml shot into my glass to be gulped down straight.....

Aye I kind of thought that about Sopot. Might pay it a visit anyway and have a brief wander around though. I've just noticed Lechia Gdansk are top of the table and are at home the weekend we are there so I think a wee trip to the football might be in order! 😀

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Gdansk after the friendly in 2014.  It was a great night out with lots of pubs and an immaculately restored city centre.  It was bombed to smithereens in WWII, but they have reconstructed it exactly as it was prior to the war so it is one of the best old city centres in the country.  We didn't make it out to the shipyards but they are meant to be interesting.  It had a good museum beside the huge old crane and the lanes behind would be a happy hunting ground for bars and restaurants.  Here are some photos at the end of my blog about my bike ride after the game:  www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=13875&v=24

That bison grass vodka was ace, particularly with apple juice for breakfast...

great spot , went back as didn't really see too much of it during euro 2012. Decent steak joint near city centre - they done fried potatoes with onions ( instead of chips ) that tasted out of this world. - steaks werent bad either . Take the 'Spanish galleon out for a quick tour. Trek to the Westerplatte - supposedly the first shots in WW2 happen there . Sopot worth a short train journey or a bike ride to if weather is nice . Went to glyndia just because it was where the Wilhem Gustev crowded with soldiers refugees fleeing the Russians  left port only to be torpedoed shortly after  

I seem to remember a “scottish“ bar called the highlander or something. I wanted to see their take on the theme and hopefully watch a Scotland match (can’t remember who we were playing that evening), but they didn’t have the match and the Scottish part seemed to consist of a side room with a Scottish-themed mural. I was pretty battered by that stage though.

Still had fun - there are far better bars in Gdansk though. 

As well as Sopot, also a shout here for the Solidarity museum, particularly if you’re of an age to remember Lech Wałesa in his moustachioed pomp.

We also went to Kaliningrad for a couple of nights - was interesting enough in a grimly fascinating sort of way, but we won’t be rushing back there. 

However, we’d go back to Gdansk like a shot, and may do so again this summer. I’m particularly keen to get back on the train to Sopot and take a stroll on the beach when the sun is high...

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:28 PM, Grim Jim said:

I also learned what a vodka and coke was all about.   Poles would have one wee glass of coke for sipping throughout their meal and a bottle of voddy on ice to quench the thirst.   And another bottle after the pair had finished that during their salad starter :lol:

It was all Zubrowka & apple juice :shocked: when I was there (for our match in Bydgoszcz).

3 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

It was all Zubrowka & apple juice :shocked: when I was there (for our match in Bydgoszcz).

I'll bet you could pronounce where you were by the end of the night too.   I can (slowly) work out a few cyrillic alphabet words in the Balkans, but really struggled with all the Cs and Zs in Poland.

I thought I'd mastered Żywiec, but got a total blank from the barmaid.   "Dwa Zivich prozy?"   Nope, disgusted look.   Point... two please.   Silence, but the aye OK ya dick look.   Where did I go wrong? :unsure: 

Had a great weekend! What I can remember of it at least. Tried some herring shots with vodka which were disgusting. On balance I think I prefer Krakow but I would go back and do a bit more in Gdansk probably in the summer 👍 There's still an incredible amount of building work going on so I'll probably save a return visit for a few years time.