Bilingual ma arse... - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bilingual ma arse...

9 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I would swim the shark infested waters and crawl over broken glass to fight for Scotland. Did you not know that about me DD?

I did hear that, doesn’t change the fact that you wouldn’t have to if you actually lived and contributed to the country you would “die” for. 

So have the Quebecois somehow got themselves locked into a Super Devo Max Plus style  deal where they get a privileged position with respect to other provinces? Which annoys the hell out of the other provinces but also must reduce the appetite for independence?  So only Quebecois 'unionists' are happy? 

That's the situation Scotland could have got herself into if the Scottish unionists had asked for, and been granted, a proper Devo Max deal? 

So maybe the Smith Commission Devo Grudging Minimum was a blessing in disguise (for nationalists? ). Otherwise we could be locked into a deal just enough to keep Scots too comfy milking the union?  If so the Quebecois are maybe in not such an enviable  situation relative to Scotland, after all...

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Well for a loyal, Canadian unionist at least you are much more articulate than the other chap anyway.

I just think of myself as 'Canadian'.

However the fact remains (and you don't seem to want to admit this) that many of our "brightest and best" during the 18th, 19th and early 20th Century were perfectly happy to be the wee loyal, royal North British littleness, slavish in their devotion to the union rag, the English aristocracy and a foreign royal family. 

No, I'm well aware of that, and it gets on my thrupnees.

"couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag" That's another one they like to use about us ungrateful Jock bastard.

We Scots can fight, though. 

We've proved it a thousand times over.

"count their blessings" and that's another one that Tories in the House of Lords use about Scotland. 

Then in Scotland's case, it's like saying "Let them eat cake" while Quebec genuinely have it really, really good. 

(You insist on comparing Scotland to Quebec when the circumstances are completely different.)

A proud, uncompromising Quebec native always has my friendship and admiration than any self loathing, cowardly excuse of a Scot.

I first met David R. Ross at a TA Christmas party in Edinburgh in 2003.

We became close friends through his regular subsequent appearances at a Scottish Festival in Ontario.

He had confided in me that he had been getting death threats at his home (that "they were going to kill him, and kill his daughter") because of his plan to honour William Wallace by giving him the funeral he never had, 700 years to the day of his murder, in Smithfield.

I didn't know what the day might bring, but I promised him (while in Fergus) that when the time came that I'd walk the last 6 miles of his 'journey' with him.

(That's me to David's left... and Scottie27 on the pipes... )

for_freedom_alone3.jpg?format=1500wFor+freedom.JPG?format=1000w

I too am proud and uncompromising (and nothing like your unfair generalisation).

I'm pleased that you met and made friends with the visitors from Quebec, but just because I am a proponent of Scottish independence doesn't mean that I have to approve of every other shout for independence worldwide.

(Anyway, I'm happy to say that 'The Walk For Wallace' went off without a hitch, and the people of London were brand new.)

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I called the "brightest and best" of Scotland in the 18th, 19th and early 20th Century that. Read it again.

How would they gain your 'friendship', though?

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

A proud, uncompromising Quebec native always has my friendship and admiration than any self loathing, cowardly excuse of a Scot.

Can you see how it reads in the present?

2 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

I just think of myself as 'Canadian'.

No, I'm well aware of that, and it gets on my thrupnees.

We Scots can fight, though. 

We've proved it a thousand times over.

Then in Scotland's case, it's like saying "Let them eat cake" while Quebec genuinely have it really, really good. 

(You insist on comparing Scotland to Quebec when the circumstances are completely different.)

I first met David R. Ross at a TA Christmas party in Edinburgh in 2003.

We became close friends through his regular subsequent appearances at a Scottish Festival in Ontario.

He had confided in me that he had been getting death threats at his home (that "they were going to kill him, and kill his daughter") because of his plan to honour William Wallace by giving him the funeral he never had, 700 years to the day of his murder, in Smithfield.

I didn't know what the day might bring, but I promised him (while in Fergus) that when the time came that I'd walk the last 6 miles of his 'journey' with him.

I too am proud and uncompromising (and nothing like your unfair generalisation).

I'm pleased that you met and made friends with the visitors from Quebec, but just because I am a proponent of Scottish independence doesn't mean that I have to approve of every other shout for independence worldwide.

(Anyway, I'm happy to say that 'The Walk For Wallace' went off without a hitch, and the people of London were brand new.)

Why the need to bring the late, much admired David R. Ross into this ? And in such a completely random way ? 

If it's your way of trying to say "I'm a pure proud Scotsman and a better one than you ever will be", ok I forfeit and declare you the champion. :rolleyes:

Won't be engaging any more with you on the subject. Especially if we're getting this low.

When you drive across the border from Ontario into Quebec it's very noticeable when the signs changed and it's very odd.  

I suppose in a UK context a similar situation would be that road signs in Scotland, England and Northern Ireland were in English and Welsh while in Wales they were only in Welsh.   That would go down well here  

Of course road signs are only part of this and in themselves pretty insignificant, the legislation goes a lot deeper and I guess the problem people have is that while the Canadian Federal Government go a long way to protecting the language rights of the francophone minority - which is a good thing - the Quebec government doesn't reciprocate with regard to its anglophone minority as its government only deals in French.   At best It does seem to be hypocritical.

I was only in Montreal which is much more multicultural and it didn't feel any different from any other North American city, interestingly I was told that linguistically the city splits geographically down the middle of the city, to the east of the Main Street is francophone, to the west is anglophone - or it could be the other way round.

Ramy should still get a Sat Nav and pay extra for the Groundskeeper Willie commentary, I think it's £24-80.

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Why the need to bring the late, much admired David R. Ross into this ? And in such a completely random way ? 

As stated, David was a close personal friend (who'd even been to my house here)  but it was really to illustrate how inappropriate your "self loathing, cowardly excuse of a Scot" comment was.

If it's your way of trying to say "I'm a pure proud Scotsman and a better one than you ever will be", ok I forfeit and declare you the champion. :rolleyes:

No, nothing like that. I'm not better than anyone.

Just saying that a being a proud Scot doesn't mean that I should by default support Quebec independence.

Won't be engaging any more with you on the subject. Especially if we're getting this low.

As you can see by the other thread, I've been thinking about (and missing) David (as I do when certain dates come around).

He once told me that he'd wished he could have been on the front line at Bannockburn.

Something I can relate to.

Quebec independence, however, isn't.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

When you drive across the border from Ontario into Quebec it's very noticeable when the signs changed and it's very odd.  

I suppose in a UK context a similar situation would be that road signs in Scotland, England and Northern Ireland were in English and Welsh while in Wales they were only in Welsh.   That would go down well here  

Of course road signs are only part of this and in themselves pretty insignificant, the legislation goes a lot deeper and I guess the problem people have is that while the Canadian Federal Government go a long way to protecting the language rights of the francophone minority - which is a good thing - the Quebec government doesn't reciprocate with regard to its anglophone minority as its government only deals in French.   At best It does seem to be hypocritical.

I was only in Montreal which is much more multicultural and it didn't feel any different from any other North American city, interestingly I was told that linguistically the city splits geographically down the middle of the city, to the east of the Main Street is francophone, to the west is anglophone - or it could be the other way round.

Ramy should still get a Sat Nav and pay extra for the Groundskeeper Willie commentary, I think it's £24-80.

Well I have GPS mate. Good thing it did no start speaking French when I crossed the border, I would have had a coronary. 🤣

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Sadly, the separatists blamed the immigrants (new Canadians) in Quebec for losing the last referendum. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I was only in Montreal which is much more multicultural and it didn't feel any different from any other North American city...

Has a 'European' feel to it, for me.

On 1/5/2019 at 7:04 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Once again, you are completely clueless. Like Scotty said, Quebec get everything from the Canadian government. Bilingualism, government grants, just to name a few. They get more benefits from the Canadian government than the rest of Canada combined and it is still not good enough for them. All they do is bitch and complain. I go to Gatineau and speak English at the shops, and I am treated with so much disrespect it's unreal. You do that to a Quebecor in Ontario and all hell breaks loose. To hell with them. I see it and live it everyday. But hey, you know it all. 

That bit reminded me of this twitter exchange during the Glasgow commonwealth games. :ok:

028ca660d1ffbbd293c7904225abf396.jpg

2 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

As stated, David was a close personal friend (who'd even been to my house here)  but it was really to illustrate how inappropriate your "self loathing, cowardly excuse of a Scot" comment was.

I wouldn't pay any attention to what the board's resident passive-aggressive bigot has to say - he's much better on ignore, trust me.

There's plenty that I disagree with Scotty on but it beggars belief that anyone who knows him would describe him in those terms.

He used to go around dressed as William Wallace, FFS.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

I wouldn't pay any attention to what the board's resident passive-aggressive bigot has to say - he's much better on ignore, trust me.

There's plenty that I disagree with Scotty on but it beggars belief that anyone who knows him would describe him in those terms.

He used to go around dressed as William Wallace, FFS.

Albeit a William Wallace opposed to Quebecois being independent and referring to them in a derogatory way as separatists.

2 hours ago, duncan II said:

Albeit a William Wallace opposed to Quebecois being independent and referring to them in a derogatory way as separatists.

It's not derogatory... 

In practice, "separatist" and "sovereignist" are terms used to describe individuals wanting the province of Quebec to separate from Canada to become a country of its own.

If you want to 'separate' then you're a 'separatist'.

(No point in making an issue when there isn't one.)