Bilingual ma arse... - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bilingual ma arse...

9 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

That's the difference here. I live in Ottawa, why in the fuck should everything be bilingual..😁

9 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I don't hate all Quebecers, just the Gatineau anti bilingual brigade. 🤣🤣🤣

🙄

21 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

🙄

I do not see what is confusing here. Ontario has to be bilingual because the French moan about it. Quebec does not have to be bilingual because the French moan about it. Do you have any idea how much the bilingualism policy costs the Ontario taxpayer every year? Just saying like. 

On 1/5/2019 at 1:20 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

You don't think it the height of hypocrisy to support a sovereign, independent Scotland but furiously oppose a sovereign, independent Quebec ?

Perhaps you should make an effort to read about their history and try and understand the culture of the great Québécois people before you make such another bloody stupid, pig ignorant statement like that ever again. You sound no better than a brain dead Daily Mail or Daily Express reader.

No better either than the all too many self loathing Scots and Welsh who furiously oppose anything promoting Gàidhlig and Cymraeg. 

I met some Quebec nationalists in 2014 who came over to Glasgow hoping to celebrate the re-birth of an independent Scotland. Lovely people they were, they were heartbroken along with us when the result was announced.

So you base your argument on the basis of 4 or 5 very nice people from Quebec who want independence. Great. They are not all candy coated like the 5 people you met. Do this. Google," Gatineau bus driver punches Ontario resident in the face because he did not speak English". The bus driver was charged and fired. You have no clue what alot of these people are like. Like I said, I have lived in Ottawa, 34 years, I work for the City if Ottawa, I deal with this in a daily basis. I think I know a wee bit more than you. I see it everyday. Don't paint me as a racist, I have friends who are French, great people, it's the other side of the river that's the problem.  I just call it the way I see it. 

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I do not see what is confusing here.  

You posted 'anti-bilingual brigade' when you meant 'French language only brigade'.

2 hours ago, exile said:

Do they have cheese and gravy too?

Good one.

Edited by Scotty CTA

13 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I am not French, I don't care about Quebec. I am Scottish, so I care about Scottish Independence. That's the difference here. I live in Ottawa, why in the fuck should everything be bilingual, but yet in Quebec, they want French only. You can't have it both ways. Oh yes you can, because it's Quebec. You have to live here to understand it. Scotland has been treated like dirt, second class citizens, used and abused by the butchers apron for centuries. Still are to this day. Our resources have been stolen by Westminster and none of it had gone back into the Scottish economy were it belongs. Quebec on the other hand, gets everything they want and more. And still moan that it's not enough. If they want independence from Canada, by all means take it. But stay the fuck out of Canadian resources, currency, jobs, and manage your own government. I have absolutely no problem with that..😁

What an utterly repellent individual with such an intense hatred of another people.

"But stay the fuck out of Canadian resources, currency, jobs, and manage your own government." change Canadian to English and you've got yet another example of what Tory and UKIP types say about Scotland everyday.

If you hate bilingualism so much then I'll presume you must hate the new Gàidhlig-English signage in Scotland then. 

The Québécois stood up for themselves and are quite right to squeeze Ottawa. We in Scotland were quite happy to bow before our betters and be happy North Briton's sucking it up and collecting the pennies they threw us. They Québécois quite rightly fought back. Scotland has only been fighting back for about fifteen minutes.

Perhaps you should start supporting the promising young Canadian national soccer team seeing as how you will never return to Scotland permanently and feel so strongly about Canada.

If for example, I immigrated to Australia and eventually became a citizen then as far as I'm concerned my loyalty would be 110% to Australia and if that meant cheering against Scotland then so be it.

13 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

That's actually the problem.

They fought and lost to the British, and then had the right to their language, culture, etc. given the OK by their 'enemy'.

Future governments tried to patch things over and they milk it for all it's worth.

Couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Scotland was once an independent country who was sold down the river for traitor's gold.

There's nothing wrong with trying to right that.

Quebec isn't worthless.

All I'm saying is that they should count their blessings.

Well for a loyal, Canadian unionist at least you are much more articulate than the other chap anyway.

The rights given to them were only after a long struggle against the oppressive, strongly anti-French, anti-Catholic colonial authorities. It was not the clean, "good, gracious British victor offers his hand in friendship to the defeated foe" as you are trying to claim. 

Yes, you are perfectly correct in saying that Scotland was sold down the river by miserable traitors who sat in our parliament in 1707.

However the fact remains (and you don't seem to want to admit this) that many of our "brightest and best" during the 18th, 19th and early 20th Century were perfectly happy to be the wee loyal, royal North British littleness, slavish in their devotion to the union rag, the English aristocracy and a foreign royal family. 

"couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag" That's another one they like to use about us ungrateful Jock bastard.

"count their blessings" and that's another one that Tories in the House of Lords use about Scotland. 

A proud, uncompromising Quebec native always has my friendship and admiration than any self loathing, cowardly excuse of a Scot.

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If you hate bilingualism so much then I'll presume you must hate the new Gàidhlig-English signage in Scotland then. 

From my reading of it, he's not objecting to bilingual signs in Canada.

He's objecting to signs in Quebec only being in French.

19 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

What an utterly repellent individual with such an intense hatred of another people.

"But stay the fuck out of Canadian resources, currency, jobs, and manage your own government." change Canadian to English and you've got yet another example of what Tory and UKIP types say about Scotland everyday.

The Québécois stood up for themselves and are quite right to squeeze Ottawa. We in Scotland were quite happy to bow before our betters and be happy North Briton's sucking it up and collecting the pennies they threw us. They Québécois quite rightly fought back. Scotland has only been fighting back for about fifteen minutes.

Perhaps you should start supporting the promising young Canadian national soccer team seeing as how you will never return to Scotland permanently and feel so strongly about Canada.

If for example, I immigrated to Australia and eventually became a citizen then as far as I'm concerned my loyalty would be 110% to Australia and if that meant cheering against Scotland then so be it.

Well for a loyal, Canadian unionist at least you are much more articulate than the other chap anyway.

The rights given to them were only after a long struggle against the oppressive, strongly anti-French, anti-Catholic colonial authorities. It was not the clean, "good, gracious British victor offers his hand in friendship to the defeated foe" as you are trying to claim. 

Yes, you are perfectly correct in saying that Scotland was sold down the river by miserable traitors who sat in our parliament in 1707.

However the fact remains (and you don't seem to want to admit this) that many of our "brightest and best" during the 18th, 19th and early 20th Century were perfectly happy to be the wee loyal, royal North British littleness, slavish in their devotion to the union rag, the English aristocracy and a foreign royal family. 

"couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag" That's another one they like to use about us ungrateful Jock bastard.

"count their blessings" and that's another one that Tories in the House of Lords use about Scotland. 

A proud, uncompromising Quebec native always has my friendship and admiration than any self loathing, cowardly excuse of a Scot.

Incorrect Einstein. I do not hate other people, but I am slowly developing a strong "dislike" for you Mon chum....

12 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

From my reading of it, he's not objecting to bilingual signs in Canada.

He's objecting to signs in Quebec only being in French.

Well it's an argument I disagree with.

If 80% of  them speak it at home then they have every right to have only French road signs etc.

Good on them for being uncompromising and standing their ground. If the rest of HM loyal Canadian subjects don't like it then that's their problem to howl at the moon with.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If 80% of  them speak it at home then they have every right to have only French road signs etc.

Good on them for being uncompromising and standing their ground. If the rest of HM loyal Canadian subjects don't like it then that's their problem to howl at the moon with.

But still want French signs in other parts of Canada?

Seems fair. 

21 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I am more Scottish than you will ever know fella. Coward? Erm, think you have me confused with someone else. As far as my loyalties. That lies in Scotland. Always has, and always will. Salut Mon chum..

One other thing Ershats thistle. I am not Canadian, I am Scottish. I support an Independent Scotland. I would give my life for Scotland. The Quebec thingy is just something that annoys me. It is sooooo much different than the situation in Scotland, but your francophone tinted specs cannot see what I am really annoyed about. Please respect other posters as well with your offensive and unwarranted abusive comments. Merci. BR 1314...

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

What a hypocrite. So it is ok for 80% of French speaking people at home in Quebec to have "French Only" signs, but it is not ok for 90% of English speaking people at home in Ontario to have English only signs. Am I correct fella?

11 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I am more Scottish than you will ever know fella. Coward? Erm, think you have me confused with someone else. As far as my loyalties. That lies in Scotland. Always has, and always will. Salut Mon chum..

Coward ? Who said anything about being anyone being coward ? 

Ok then ramble on, ramble on. Continue to make silly nonsensical posts over the football board.

Screw it, I can't be bothered with your clearly bigoted opinions and ridiculous chest beating "I'm a better Scotsman than you" rubbish. Carry on until you get inevitably get banned sometime within the next few months.

Btw if I have made any "offensive and unwarranted abusive comments" then report them to the mods please.

12 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Seems fair. 

As I said I love the fact that they are standing up for themselves and getting up the noses of those who despise them. Good on them. More French road signs please !

Edited by ErsatzThistle

12 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Seems fair. 

Of course it is. Let's have the province of British Colombia, French speaking population about 4% , I would think, fully bilingual. And let the tax payers of BC pay for it. That's fair. 🙂

9 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

One other thing Ershats thistle. I am not Canadian, I am Scottish. I support an Independent Scotland. I would give my life for Scotland. The Quebec thingy is just something that annoys me. It is sooooo much different than the situation in Scotland, but your francophone tinted specs cannot see what I am really annoyed about. Please respect other posters as well with your offensive and unwarranted abusive comments. Merci. BR 1314...

😂😂😂😂

No you wouldn’t, you live on the other side of the world by choice. 

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Coward ? Who said anything about being anyone being coward ? 

Ok then ramble on, ramble on. Continue to make silly nonsensical posts over the football board.

As I said I love the fact that they are standing up for themselves and getting up the noses of those who despise them. Good on them. More French road signs please !

You called me a self loathing cowardly excuse for a Scot. Read your posts fella.