Bilingual ma arse... - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bilingual ma arse...

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Never mind. Alls well that ends well. Apart from your mums friend of course 😢

I am pretty sure you recognised a Quebecian sausage roll at the wake.  

Poutine. Now that is worth driving to Gatineau for. Chips, cheese, and gravy. Lovely stuff. 😊

11 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You don't think it the height of hypocrisy to support a sovereign, independent Scotland but furiously oppose a sovereign, independent Quebec ?

Apples and oranges.

Each case will be different.

Scotland would be over the moon if they got the privileges Quebec has (and still Quebec want to separate from a country where most in the world would give their right arm to live in).

All the provinces are equal, except Quebec are MORE equal (but that's still not good enough for them).

Biggest and most ungrateful crybabies in the world.

Are people saying they dislike Quebec for wanting to be separate, and/or for their continued ('privileged') attachment to Canada? 

Would people be happier if Quebec just seceded? If not, why "furiously oppose a sovereign, independent Quebec ?" [E Thistle] 

Privileges... maybe not interested in some wank ‘granting’ them privileges. Known a few western Canadians and French cocksuckers is the phrase I recall most when discussing Quebec. 

Pronounced kaaawksukers.

Edited by thplinth

24 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Apples and oranges.

Scotland would be over the moon if they got the privileges Quebec has (and still Quebec want to separate from a country where most in the world would give their right arm to live in).

All the provinces are equal, except Quebec are MORE equal (but that's still not good enough for them).

That's exactly the way your Mail, Express and Telegraph types talk about the people of Scotland and Wales. Well done. 

I admire the Québécois. A proud, great people that have actually stood up for themselves against bullies who denigrate them. 

Unlike us they didn't cower and beg for mercy.

40 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Apples and oranges.

Amen. Thank you Scotty. Well said. 👍👍👍👍

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That's exactly the way your Mail, Express and Telegraph types talk about the people of Scotland and Wales. Well done. 

I admire the Québécois. A proud, great people that have actually stood up for themselves against bullies who denigrate them. 

OMG.🤮

23 minutes ago, exile said:

Would people be happier if Quebec just seceded? If not, why "furiously oppose a sovereign, independent Quebec ?" [E Thistle] 

There are still a lot of them who want independence but unfortunately the political parties relevant to the cause are in complete disarray currently but fingers crossed they will recover and Republic of Quebec and the Republic of Scotland will one day meet for an international football fixture.

As I said I find it highly hypocritical for supporters of Scottish independence to tell another people that their nation is worthless and should pipe down.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

19 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

There are still a lot of them who want independence but unfortunately the political parties relevant to the cause are in complete disarray currently but fingers crossed they will recover and Republic of Quebec and the Republic of Scotland will one day meet for an international football fixture.

As I said I find it highly hypocritical for supporters of Scottish independence to tell another people that their nation is worthless and should pipe down.

I don't think it even matters if you support Scottish independence or not, or if these are the views of native Canadians...

I'm just curious what any mainstream non Quebec Canadian wishes them to do, get on with f---ing off, or deny them independence, why? 

The situation is undoubtedly different in detail but the general attitude seems puzzlingly similar. 

Edited by exile

14 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

How would you describe Scotland especially between c1746 and c1930 when the nationalist movement first began to cut it's teeth ?

We were fucking pathetic, miserable.

Once again, you are completely clueless. Like Scotty said, Quebec get everything from the Canadian government. Bilingualism, government grants, just to name a few. They get more benefits from the Canadian government than the rest of Canada combined and it is still not good enough for them. All they do is bitch and complain. I go to Gatineau and speak English at the shops, and I am treated with so much disrespect it's unreal. You do that to a Quebecor in Ontario and all hell breaks loose. To hell with them. I see it and live it everyday. But hey, you know it all. 

20 minutes ago, exile said:

I don't think it even matters if you support Scottish independence or not, or if these are the views of native Canadians...

I'm just curious what any mainstream non Quebec Canadian wishes them to do, get on with f---ing off, or deny them independence, why? 

Possession.

A kneejerk reaction of "it's ours, it always has been and it always will be"

Add in plenty of heavy emotional blackmail with mention of the world wars (preferably with tears and an "I'll have you know that my Great-Uncle Jimmy had both his bollocks and his willie shot off at the Somme for this country" kind of story)

Omit mention of the one time penal laws against their language and their faith or unwritten laws preventing them from getting high up in the civil service.

Don't forget the "we love you and appreciate you - but you better know your place you ungrateful bastards with your different langauge and heritage."

13 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Once again, you are completely clueless. Like Scotty said, Quebec get everything from the Canadian government. Bilingualism, government grants, just to name a few. They get more benefits from the Canadian government than the rest of Canada combined and it is still not good enough for them. All they do is bitch and complain. I go to Gatineau and speak English at the shops, and I am treated with so much disrespect it's unreal. You do that to a Quebecor in Ontario and all hell breaks loose. To hell with them. I see it and live it everyday. But hey, you know it all. 

That's exactly what they said on the Daily Mail comment is free section about us during the referendum:

"They get everything" - "free this free that" - "we pay so much for those ungrateful Scotch bastards" - "why should they get their own services, we are all British after all" - "We fought together, we died together, we must stay together no matter what" - "the Scottish Parliament is a dangerous experiment and should be abolished".

Now I imagine you'd be ready to fight if some Tory pwick from the Home Counties said such things to your face, so why do you take such satisfaction saying that saying similair things about the great Québécois people ? Don't be a hypocrite.

It's their country after all. Good on them for standing up for themselves and getting every concession they can from Ottawa.  :ok: 

Pity it took proud, mighty "Scotland the Brave" fucking ages to start doing the same.

Ever actually read their history and tried to see their side of the story like any reasonable person would ? Are you capable of doing such a thing ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

15 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

OK, so taking all that as true, would you prefer Quebec to secede? So then you could redistribute subsidies among the remaining provinces? And when the Quebecois visited they'd have to speak English (as if visiting the USA - as any other foreigner)? 

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Independence voters hypocrites? Never!!

7 hours ago, thplinth said:

Privileges... maybe not interested in some wank ‘granting’ them privileges.

That's actually the problem.

They fought and lost to the British, and then had the right to their language, culture, etc. given the OK by their 'enemy'.

Future governments tried to patch things over and they milk it for all it's worth.

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Scotland was once an independent country who was sold down the river for traitor's gold.

There's nothing wrong with trying to right that.

Quebec isn't worthless.

All I'm saying is that they should count their blessings.

6 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Should probably just leave your hoops top at home.

Edited by Scotty CTA

I am not French, I don't care about Quebec. I am Scottish, so I care about Scottish Independence. That's the difference here. I live in Ottawa, why in the fuck should everything be bilingual, but yet in Quebec, they want French only. You can't have it both ways. Oh yes you can, because it's Quebec. You have to live here to understand it. Scotland has been treated like dirt, second class citizens, used and abused by the butchers apron for centuries. Still are to this day. Our resources have been stolen by Westminster and none of it had gone back into the Scottish economy were it belongs. Quebec on the other hand, gets everything they want and more. And still moan that it's not enough. If they want independence from Canada, by all means take it. But stay the fuck out of Canadian resources, currency, jobs, and manage your own government. I have absolutely no problem with that..😁

3 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

That's actually the problem.

They fought and lost to the British, and then had the right to their language, culture, etc. given the OK by their 'enemy'.

Future governments tried to patch things over and they milk it for all it's worth.

Couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Scotland was once an independent country who was sold down the river for traitor's gold.

There's nothing wrong with trying to right that.

Quebec isn't worthless.

All I'm saying is that they should count their blessings.

Should probably just leave your hoops top at home.

Leave the Hoops out of it. 🤣

Just now, Scotty CTA said:

Quebec is a great place to go.

I've always had fun there.

(They've got a chip on their shoulder though. No getting away from that.)

Agree. I took my wife to Quebec City 2 year ago. Loved it. I don't hate all Quebecers, just the Gatineau anti bilingual brigade. 🤣🤣🤣