Bilingual ma arse... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bilingual ma arse...

So today, I drove my mum to a funeral. A very dear friend of hers passed away. The funeral was in Gatineau, Quebec. Just across the river from Ottawa where I live. In Ontario, all traffic signs are in English and French, it's the law. In Quebec, it's French only. What a fuckin disgrace. I got caught in traffic and could not understand the traffic signs as they are all in French only. Ended up getting a motor behind me beeping his fucking horn because I could not figure out if I could turn or not, ended up getting lost. So I am getting annoyed, and my poor 75 year old mum is getting nervous. I just can't fucking understand why the Quebecers won't allow bilingual signs in their province, but moaned like fuck to have all signs bilingual in Ontario. Double standard. Just needed to rant this even though I am sure none of you , well maybe Scotty, have ever driven in Quebec. Hate Quebecers. Oh, and.dont even get me started on the Separatists. 😡

49 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

So today, I drove my mum to a funeral. A very dear friend of hers passed away. The funeral was in Gatineau, Quebec. Just across the river from Ottawa where I live. In Ontario, all traffic signs are in English and French, it's the law. In Quebec, it's French only. What a fuckin disgrace. I got caught in traffic and could not understand the traffic signs as they are all in French only. Ended up getting a motor behind me beeping his fucking horn because I could not figure out if I could turn or not, ended up getting lost. So I am getting annoyed, and my poor 75 year old mum is getting nervous. I just can't fucking understand why the Quebecers won't allow bilingual signs in their province, but moaned like fuck to have all signs bilingual in Ontario. Double standard. Just needed to rant this even though I am sure none of you , well maybe Scotty, have ever driven in Quebec. Hate Quebecers. Oh, and.dont even get me started on the Separatists. 😡

It was the federalist Liberals that enacted the legislation that made French Quebec's only official language, as opposed to the separatist Parti Quebecois, with Bill 22. It was expanded upon by the PQ's Bill 101, but started with the Liberals ironically.

2 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

It was the federalist Liberals that enacted the legislation that made French Quebec's only official language, as opposed to the separatist Parti Quebecois, with Bill 22. It was expanded upon by the PQ's Bill 101, but started with the Liberals ironically.

Well it's a shite bill. Thanks for the info though mate. I think Rene Levesque had something to do with it also. It's just so annoying. Quebec wants, Quebec gets. They don't want bilingualism in they want another referendum, they want to seperate from the rest of Canada, but they have no fucking problem coming over to Ontario for work though. Oh dear. Calm doon Ramy. 🤣

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

... I got caught in traffic and could not understand the traffic signs as they are all in French only

The only thing that you should have to read would be the street names, otherwise the signs should be a standard shape and a standard colour.

IMG_4619.JPG

(Or was there something else?)

5 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

The only thing that you should have to read would be the street names, otherwise the signs should be a standard shape and a standard colour.

IMG_4619.JPG

(Or was there something else?)

Erm thanks im no that stupid smartarse. I was making a right turn, it had days and times I believe in French. Did not know if I could turn or not. So fuckwit behind me lays on the horn. Ended up turning and going wrong way. Anyhoo, shove yir French only signs right up yir arse. 

51 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Erm thanks im no that stupid smartarse

I was actually trying to be helpful.

53 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

... it had days and times I believe in French. 

All you'd have to do is learn the seven days of the week (in French) as the times would be numeric.

original-1272612-1.jpg

I was taught them in first year French.

I'm sure you had that, too.

It's easy.

Start with Monday (which is really 'Moon Day').

The French say 'Lune' (for moon) as in 'lunar' or 'lunatic'.

loon-dee (Lundi) is Monday.

OK... You do the next one... :)

11 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

I was taught them in first year French.

I'm sure you had that, too.

It's easy.

Start with Monday (which is really 'Moon Day').

The French say 'Lune' (for moon) as in 'lunar' or 'lunatic'.

loon-dee (Lundi) is Monday.

OK... You do the next one... :)

Whit????

You don't think it the height of hypocrisy to support a sovereign, independent Scotland but furiously oppose a sovereign, independent Quebec ?

Perhaps you should make an effort to read about their history and try and understand the culture of the great Québécois people before you make such another bloody stupid, pig ignorant statement like that ever again. You sound no better than a brain dead Daily Mail or Daily Express reader.

No better either than the all too many self loathing Scots and Welsh who furiously oppose anything promoting Gàidhlig and Cymraeg. 

I met some Quebec nationalists in 2014 who came over to Glasgow hoping to celebrate the re-birth of an independent Scotland. Lovely people they were, they were heartbroken along with us when the result was announced.

5 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You don't think it the height of hypocrisy to support a sovereign, independent Scotland but furiously oppose a sovereign, independent Quebec ?

Perhaps you should make an effort to read about their history and try and understand the culture of the great Québécois people before you make such another bloody stupid, pig ignorant statement like that ever again. You sound no better than a brain dead Daily Mail or Daily Express reader.

No better either than the all too many self loathing Scots and Welsh who furiously oppose anything promoting Gàidhlig and Cymraeg. 

I met some Quebec nationalists in 2014 who came over to Glasgow hoping to celebrate the re-birth of an independent Scotland. Lovely people they were, they were heartbroken along with us when the result was announced.

Aye ok then. Say that when you live right next door to them. And as I said, I did not paint all French with the same brush. Tout finite.or however the fuck you say it. 🤣